Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told its ok to use zippo lighter fluid to clean comms on electric motors. Is this true? personally I use kisbey sting motor spray or team orion motor spray

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Have been using lighter fluid since Wild Willy was a fresh youngster (1982!).
Works well as a degreaser, but it don't really do anything for the comm...?

If you don't like buying little "Zippo" branded cans
, just go to supermarket and buy Shellite petroleum spirit. Same stuff just in 1L bottles for $3. They use it for camping stoves and the like, camping stores also sell it... but for $5.

Get the bottle and stick a pressure-sprayer onto it, I use it like that to clean the nitro cars after running. Works great if you ignore the cost, might use more than 1/2 the bottle for each car.

If you're looking for a replacement Motor Spray, just find electronics contact cleaner in a aerosol can. However most brands are either in a smaller can or cost more... these days I use Motor Spray for applications where I used to use contact cleaner before!!
Just keep a spare can on hand always.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i get the kisbey sting motor spray for 10 bux a can so i think i will stick with that. for the most part a small paint brush and compressed air is good enough for the electric cars.

the nitro rally get s water/metho and wd 40. gotta love hpi's removeable radio tray. just need to seal off the carb and tuned pipe with plastic

1 - 3 of 3 Posts