if its a good chassis, it should be considering yokomo are are very
expensive!!

it has the carbon?? graphite?? chassis, with the Y top deck, blue alloy bits,

looks alright, i post some pics later..maybe

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Until recently, had a YR4 M2-J meself. Lastheard of... in Tas!

Not a bad little car, well designed with twin-belt drive and quite efficient. By the time the M2 came out it had already evolved a lot, since the very first YR4 came out (got one of those too).Yokomo was the very first to market with a belt drive touring car, with a lot of the parts borrowed off their Dogfighter buggy.

The Type-J was an Asian-only spec I think... but the car continued to evolve so there's a few different versions all with the same name. Most of the drivetrain & suspension should be the same, but the chassis plate design changed slightly.

Mine had graphite chassis/decks/towers and the aluminium was natural coloured. Turnbuckles everywhere and unis all 4 corners, also a 1-way at the front.

Yoks usually came pretty highly spec'd in the kit so they weren't dirt cheap but there wasn't much more options to buy either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, ive been told its the type j PRO!!.

has the full carbon chassis i think it is, or graphite, bluy alloy motor mount, and a special design 'Y' top plate??????

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Have no idea what exact model mine was... even had to do some researching to find out what it was only after I got the thing. Had a brief affair with the Yoks, just to see what they could do.

Trouble with Yoks is... they change the kit often but they don't change the box or instructions. They just whack a sticker on the box! So if you get the car without box/manual, there's really no clue. Even some of the guys that run Yoks and know everything about them, some can't tell for certain either!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

thats the car, its a bit dirty, but he said it goes well....comes with the servo and a body...

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yep, that's a Yok YR4 M2 indeedy. (Interesting piece of granny's gardening knee protector & roofing bolts there, haha)

Bottom plate looks usual.

Haven't seen that configuration of top deck before, that's a curious one. Yoks are usually designed to have lots of lateral stiffness, but be very flexible transversely (side-to-side). Mine had a topplate that was split in 2, with springloaded tensioner the joining the 2 pieces.

Position of layshaft is also interesting... hmm, is it multi-postional?? All the other M2s I've seen have had the layshaft low down and directly in front of the motor - the blue one is much higher (a la Tamiya TA04, HPI RS4 etc).

Tamiya aerial holder, hee hee. 2nd most useful Tamiya creation after the famous little wheelwrench.

What's the a$k on it? It would make an excellent club racer even today, if the price is good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm his starting aoffer was $180....but i said ill pay $130, a\as yet he hasnt got back to me.....still waiting..

but yeah it looks alright.....i got more pics too...

looks like it will perform a treat,

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Call it splits at $150 and that should be a good deal...

nismospeed said:
also whats a layshaft??

Layshaft is what the spur gear & the 2 pulleys sit on.

That blue 'pro' has the layshaft very high up (above the motor), the ones I had have the layshaft much lower, like same height of the motor's shaft.

I guess the higher layshaft allows use of larger spur gears, similar to TA04 & RS4. But the lower layshaft, haha - that's now been copied by the Corally Assassin.

There aren't many new ideas left these days...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Looks ok, although there's too much dirt on it to tell.

Ahh, they're tuff cars. Never broke anything whilst I had the M2, and I think even the little bro did a few laps with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok he has offered $140 posted and he will also buy a new rear belt for it..i reckon not bad...

Nismo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

it includes the box, the manual, a body, racing slicks, full ball
bearings, ball diffs, new rear belt on its way, 30t pinion, carbon
fibre chassis and blue alloy bits, fully adjustable

he is asking $140 posted

what do you reckon??

Nismo

Edited by: nismospeed

G