Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas i was looking on ausmicro and i found this post buy PandaBear aka zoomer on here. And wow look at these cars, they must really fly.

Edited by: bender

·
Registered
472 Posts
holly crappers...they may look fast...might not have enough downforce tho:( but looks hella nice

·
Registered
332 Posts
that car will wheel spin and do donuts around every corner

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Not to be picky, but I don't think it will do any wheel spins. All drive from those babies would appear to be coming from those minature jet engines. The wheels simply "reduce friction".

I think it would be an effort to keep them on the ground mind you.

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they would make good airplanes with wings attached, has any put a jet engine in a rc air plane any way?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Absolutely, you too for the small some of $6500 US dollars can have your very own, 250 mph model jet plane.... I will see if I can find the link.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
haha, those pix sure have a life of their own. btw they're not "mine",
I too 'borrowed' them from somewhere else off the net... you know how it is.

Yep, like AUSRC says, model jet engines do exist. Not the cheapest way to power an RC model, but some guys in Oz do fly real jets.

At full tilt these planes go from the furthest you can see in 1 direction to the furthest you can see in the other direction - in about 2 seconds. (I still don't see how that can be called 'fun' if that's all it does - won't you get tired of it real fast??)

RC jet engines come in various forms:

Most popular is the "gas turbine". Gas turbines are good in that they can burn any type of liquid or gaseous fuel & they are very efficient at their operating speed of ~50,000rpm. (we played with larger versions whilst at engineering school)

In the jet world, gas turbines are kiddy stuff y'know??
Its still got *moving* parts in it, what fun is that? Nah, to be MORE SERIOUS with jet engines you gotta have a "Pulse Jet"... which does not need spinning up.

Then... there's that Ram Jet that an ozzie university is in the process of inventing. They piggybacked some NASA rocket or something in central Oz few mths ago, remember? However its probably not a feasible engine for for RC use as its gotta be at supersonic speeds before it makes any worthwhile power.

There's also "fake" RC jet engines called Ducted Fans. These are basically a nitro engine or electric motor driving a fan in a tube. This allows you to build model jet F14/15/16/18 planes without an ugly propellor sticking out one end - the Ducted Fan is located where the 1:1's real engine is.

They still go pretty fast!!

Talking about Land Speed records, if you check up on history you'll soon see that the after the 1960s these crazy gentlemen basically used wingless jet planes with wheels only to 'reduce friction' haha.

Here, check it out @ http://www.landspeed.com/learn.html

I like the one built from a Sidewinder missile.
Gives real meaning to "Hey I gotta dash, got this missile strapped to my bu++".

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Zoomer,

Very good... once again gave me a laugh.....

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ausrc my friends plane goes just under 300kph, although its not a jet engine but didnt cost 6500, i wonderif a ep ducted engine would work in a rc car

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, you would have to be a good flyer to fly a plane at 300kph and for $6500 you would only go about quarter throttle
. About them ducted engine how much are they, like peedee i wouldnt mind putting one in my electric car?!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Forget it, not worth the effort.

Ducted fans aren't expensive; just a standard motor or engine driving a propeller in a tube that's the diameter of the prop. They are a little bit more efficient than driving a 'naked' prop, but nothing earth shattering.

Your frankenstein creation will not have the performance of a axle-driven car. Forget serious driving, prop cars can't transmit torque to get going and you'll still need to steer & brake at the wheels.

We flew planes in the 1970s, so had bits spare. I built a naked-prop driven thingy back in the 1980s, it was a disappointment. Had a swamp boat with a big prop drive too, don't think that goes very well either - this one steered with rudder panels.

Airplanes and land-speed record breakers have their specific duties. They are pretty useless outside of these designed purposes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts