Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

RE: Road cones availability</span>

I was wondering if anyone knows where in Australia/ Sydney, I can pickup road cones?

They would make an excellent temporary
bash/race track on the go. 12 of these costs $11au + postage from
overseas. I am thinking of getting them but wanted to know if there is
a local seller/ shop/hobby shop/warehouse/ factory/ road block
I can get it from.

7inches tall

</span>
The road block thing was a joke but any suggestions where you can pick these up from?

milknbutter

Edited by: milknbutter

·
Registered
596 Posts
they sell something simular to that in the toys section at kmart for roller hockey

·
Registered
472 Posts
not condoning this...but get a mate witha ute and drive past road works at night

ohhh some good times out with mates

·
Registered
761 Posts
Jono, thats probably the best idea yet in regards to getting cones. Probably because its the only one that doesnt cost anything..

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Roadside cones are too big for RC and they're very heavy too... 5kg? If your RC car hits them they will cause damage - they've got rubber feetdesigned to stick to the tarmac and not go sliding down the road.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neh they are too big. Imagine carting arount 10 full size cones. These ones above are 7 inches tall.

I usually bash at an offroading place in Sydney called Menai and tracks
can be easily made there as its wide open barren land. These
orange cones would be best. Also
not a bad idea for turning your neighbourhood street into an onroad
electric race circuit on Sunday evenings aye?

Hope Kmart or Rebel has em.

MnB

Edited by: milknbutter

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
I know 'cos I got some fullsize ones in me garage (all legally obtained
, they don't have council's name painted on them!!).

Also got some 1/28th ones like the ones that come with Kyosho Mini-Zs.

Trouble is with the 7" ones... if your RC hits 'em, they move so you've gotta go replace them all the time.

A good alternative is "plough discs", can buy them in farm supplies stores for cheap. They're steel pans (wok?) about 10" big, you can paint them yellow with a rattle can.

Hit those and your RC goes over them - maybe even flip, but the discsstay in place.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will this sound weird if I walk in and say, "Can I have 10 PLOUGH DISCS
please" Maybe its in my head. That plough thing sounds like a good idea
tho. Regarding farm suppliers, errrm, that errr, will Bunnings stock
ploughs?

Thanks all.

MnB

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Nup.

Get this... I once tried buying an O-ring from Bunnings.

Couldn't find one there!

(the only ones Bunnings had were for taps/plumbing and spareparts for garden sprayers. Neither one was suitable for what I wanted.)

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
LOL... you can't even get 'loctite' at Bunnings, they only sell their own generic brand stuff.

Plough discs will be available from any rural supplies store... like Dalgetys, Wesfarmers, Murray Golburn Trading etc

·
Registered
596 Posts
only place i have seen real loctite for sale in WA is kmart and repco. super cheap auto sell nothing but crap. they do have the largest selection of air freshners i have seen though

·
Registered
222 Posts
we just use coke bottles 1/2 filled with water. we hit em occasionally, and apart from splitting one (the car stayed dry luckily, as the water trickled out not gushed) they are excellent. no damage to cars at all, as they absorb at alot of the impact rather than being hard plastic or similar.

other than that, try getting field markers from rebel or simlar. they are the little 2" high domes that we use for footy training. they would probably e good in an offroad setting as they are easy to push into the dirt a short way, so they shouldnt move around to much.

plough disks would be too heavy imho, and you might end up damaging things if the disk doesnt sit flat to the ground and wheels catch it on the edge etc.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
they use the plow disks and 2b1 planks at the onroad track here. They work a treat, and make a good sound when you launch from em...

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
ok, heres some footage from our carpark thrash about a month ago with our track barriers and stuff.. .we use ordinary cones with slits put in the side, and we poke our bits of wood in them and it makes excellent crash barriers because they move a bit when u hit them..

The video is about 13mb and approx 3 +1/2 minutes.

My Onroad Racing Video

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.