Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a guy practice at precc and he was able to chirp rubber tires on the carpet around corners. Being curious I asked him how he did it and he reckons windex on rubber tires works a treat. anyone out there with experience with this here?

Theres no windex in the house for me to try this out.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Windex (water + ammonia) will clean your rubber surface, but so will plain water.

Traction compound should also soften the rubber. Try an oil based lotion (baby oil, oil-based suntan lotion, penetrating oil)... let it soak in for a while then just before you run, wipe your threads with a rag & motor-spray.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, the club i race at is supposed to be banning tire compounds so every one is in a made rush to find house hold chemicals that do the same thing. i have also seen people use: WD40, metho and acetone. 2005 should be good for a laugh cos modified is going rubber tires as well

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive done a bit of searching about this 'screeching' of tires. i was able to easily get my Tamiya Type A's to screech on the PRECC carpet if you use tyre warmers and get themtoo hot. The car grips alot, probably too much, and robs speed, yet the guys who are out there winning dont have screeching tyres. I got my car alot quicker when i didnt get them hot enough to screech. Just my 2c.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Screeching = rubber lifting off the ground, vibrating. Does nothing for grip.

Similarly an aggressive"drift" style around corners looks impressive (hell, I flog a brushless shafter - its natural) but your lap times suffer.

Tyres & inserts can be overheated. When they operate above their ideal temperature the rubber melts away faster and you get less grip (= lose lose). Think "brake fade".

·
Registered
117 Posts
"i have also seen people use: WD40, metho and acetone"

i use wd40 on rubber tires on an asphaplt track it works a treat

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
I use WD40 on TakeOff CS27. Let it soak into the rubber for 5-10 mins then wipe off with motor spray - it works.

You can also use oil-based suntan lotions, or eucalyptus oil (no escaping the smell!). Someone said to try Rosken hand cream too... but I haven't gotten around to nicking some from the women's jar.

Metho is good only to clean your rubber. It doesn't soften the rubber.

Acetone will soften rubber but then it evaporates. Whilst its wet it cleans it well; I use it to clean/revive the platen (rubber roller) on typewriters and dotmatrix printers.

Try wiping your lexan shell with acetone... interesting effect! (do on wrecked shell)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I actually fogot about this thread. At the moment I use take off 22's. The only care they receive is a wipe down with damp rag at the end of the nights racing and thats it. At this stage practice will make more of a improvement to my laptimes than traction compound

·
Registered
561 Posts
Has anyone tries using a CRC product called "Belt Grip " Its used to
stop all kinds of fan belts, drive belys etc etc from slipping . I
spray it on the surface of the "locking" parts of my beadlocks to
ensure the rubber bead dosent pull out.

just an idea

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
yeah I got CRC Belt Dressing.

I use it for serpentine fan belts.

It supposedlysoftens rubber but it doesn't... maybe the hard rubber that fan belts are made out of.

But after I tried it... the fan belts disintegrated pretty quickly. I think the dressing halved the usual life of the belts...

Nah don't bother using it on tyres.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i don't think CRC Belt Dressing is exactly carpet friendly either

1 - 11 of 11 Posts