Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 2 things that scare most people away

1.PRICE if ur going to get new people into rc they don't want to pay 400$$++ at the most they willusually say no little jimmy its to exspensive. but if they could get a car rtr with everything they need for around 300$$ i think it would be a lot more popular

2.IT'S DAUNTING they're scared that it won't work or won't like

I being aged 14 am new to this hobbie only got into it last october i was scared but i thought hey if i never give it a go i will never know so i did and i love it. me being at school hearing kids talk saying i'm getting a petrol powered r/c car but they never do mainly due to the price i've heard plenty of kids saying that.now everytime i start up my nitro the whole street come out to see what it is.

now that i will be ordering my savage 25 soon i'm thinking of selling my kyosho ultima to a kid down the road who is quite keen i would sell it to him for about 300$$ with everything including fuel so theres no hassles

thats just what i have to say on the matter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yeap sounds about right...im 17 and have been it for over a year now..and have a few cars...

i always pop in a few option parts aswell, so there is more $$$$

alot of people in my street look when i run my car...

Nismo

ps, does anybody use the chatroom??

Edited by: nismospeed

·
Registered
596 Posts
noise is another factor. my nieghbors whinge at people mowing lawns let alone my 2 speed and CVEC equipped nitro rally..

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
nellyneil said:
1.PRICE if ur going to get new people into rc they don't want to pay 400$$++ at the most they willusually say no little jimmy its to exspensive. but if they could get a car rtr with everything they need for around 300$$ i think it would be a lot more popular

No disagree... that's an endless arguement - don't even bother.

eg if pricepoint becomes $300 then whingers will just target at $200, $100, $50, $10, $2... whatever. Can't win.

Cheap also might be not good. There are many "cheap" cars now available, of dodgy quality/design/backup. Newbies might buy one of those then experience all the bad things and get totally disillusioned with the hobby & disappear forever. The old adage: "Buy Cheap =Buy Twice".

Also the reverse often holds true... there are some ppl in the hobby *because* it is not cheap - the "exclusivity" factor. If RC was a cheap giveaway hobby, it will lose "awe" appeal to those who want to be different from the rest.

If ppl want something bad enough, they will willingly pay whatever it takes.

Something that you LUST for will always slightly out of your reach.

being at school hearing kids talk saying i'm getting a petrol powered r/c car but they never do mainly due to the price i've heard plenty of kids saying that.

hehehe... still young, don't believe all you hear.If all the playground talk actually eventuates, every 2nd person would be a Fireman or a Policeman.
The world is also full of "Mister Gunna" types- I'm gunna do that, gunna do this, or I'm gunna just find an excuse to postpone doing it till tomorrow. (I wouldn't be holding my breath for Mr Gunna to actually do anything anytime soon-ish.)

Had a good debate last weekend with some industry guys on "competition" for RC cars - quite interesting.

Basically what kids could/would spend their $$$ on these days that didn't exist in 1985 -- these are the modern ways of sapping $$$ away from RC expenditure:-
<UL>
<LI>mobile phone</LI>
<LI>mobile phone bills</LI>
<LI>Nintendo/Playstation/xBox software</LI>
<LI>DVDs, CDs</LI>
<LI>computer hardware</LI>
<LI>gizmos - PDAs, MP3 players etc</LI>
<LI>fancy clothes</LI>
<LI>trendy shoes</LI>
<LI>restaurants, coffees</LI>
<LI>entertainment - movies, pinball</LI>
<LI>parties & drinking (so many more drinks now)</LI>[/list]

Also, kiddies are growing up faster these days. They are less likely to hang around the neighbourhood backyards kicking a ball around... more likely to be hanging out at the mall.

Kids have more freedoms, more places to goand more things to do = more $$$ spent on entertainment services, less time for 'traditional' hobbies.

Taking a quick eyeover of all the upcoming toys for Xmas 2004... there's really nothing much targetted at teens 11-20. Today's toy industry seems to have given up once you've turned the big One-Oh. Its a curious & worrying/interesting phenomenon.

·
Registered
596 Posts
you left girl friend off the list. the most powerfull money absorbtion tool known to man.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not convinced with the initial point of this dicussion, you're
saying that it isn't 'popular anymore' because of cost, now surely the
cost of nitro hasn't just gone through the roof.. and I would imagine
that the cost has always been a restrictive part of owning nitro or any
racing RC car.

After just going to the local finals in ACT (on the weekend) I have had
my mind changed about more than one aspect of the RC scene. The major
eye opener for me was the 'older' crowd racing nitro, I thought I would
be turning up and getting called grandpa, but instead it was the
complete opposite. I also found (from talking to people there) that a
lot of the younger crowd / next generation have a father figure that
was, or even still is heavily into nitro racing, this way you have the
drive (father and son) and the money (father) to go places in the
hobby. It may seem I am being sexist, but I only saw 1 female the whole
day, and was impressed to see she was getting involved and racing (my
girlfriend was keen, but then realised it was very male dominated).

After going out and checking it out first hand im more convinced that
the RC hobby is either growing up with its original fan base (those who
remember the good old days) or exists in the realm of adults living a
lost dream (full scale racing) in miniature, the amount of FPV, HRT,
HSV type clothing I saw was astonishing. The younger crowd there all
seemed to be following in footsteps, there weren't too many pioneering
younger racers, ie. got into the hobby of their own accord.

I had a great day out, experienced burning eyes and lungs from nitro
fumes first hand, and was good to be able to talk to a few people
bewteen racers.. on that note.. anyone heard of Penrith District RC?
there were some really great people in that team that I had a chat to.

-edit- found their site http://www.pdnracing.org.au/

Edited by: bzchi

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
jiggen5354 said:
you left girl friend off the list. the most powerfull money absorbtion tool known to man.

no no no... gist was "that didn't exist in 1985".

Like it or lump it, GFs have existed for time immemorial.

Yep, 1 GF can be a real money pit... until you become silly enough to have TWO together - then you realise that the costs aren't just doubled, its SQUARED!!
(sigh)

Other things guys also blow their $$$ on, but existed pre 1985...
<UL>
<LI>1:1 cars, dirt bikes, boats</LI>
<LI>drinking</LI>
<LI>smoking</LI>
<LI>travelling & holidays</LI>
<LI>luxury whitegoods</LI>
<LI>TAB
</LI>[/list]

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
bzchi said:
Im not convinced with the initial point of this dicussion, you're saying that it isn't 'popular anymore'

Not even sure what basis that original observation was made on...

If you check the industry hearsay, sales of nitro cars have gone thru the roof last decade. Most (90%? 95%?) RC cars don't make it near any race track.

First nitro wave was ~10-15 yrs ago when pullstarts appeared on engines.

2nd major wave was 5 yrs ago when we got reliable electric starts and decent RTR nitro cars - including some that were only sold as RTR, not kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heh how much this world has changed...
!

its funny though what LHS's do to sell the products though....they try
to scrape you dry of your money, eg, i went in to the LHS asking about
a 15t motor for my TL01 right, he told me that i could NOT</span>
run a 15t with the stock gearing....you "must" have speed tuned gears
to run....well, i told him ive been running a 16t with a 21t pinion
perfectly fine no probs..well that shut him

also one more scam i see is with the video's, the way thet do they
video make the cars look sooooo fast...yet, a stock car dont go so
fast...

and why did they change name from GAS cars to NITRO??....

bey you it is because nitro makes it sounds faster due to its used in real cars to send them flyen..

Nismo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I must admit on the LHS topic that there does seem to be a fair
amount of upselling. I have a box of stuff, with parts I haven't had a
chance to touch yet, and I got most of them when I was trying to find a
suitable tuned pipe. Instead of getting the 'sorry we don't have one' I
always go 'you could probably make this fit'. The other thing that
concerned me was inter-store sledging and extreme brand name
favouritism.. you get this a lot if you are getting real cars built
with multiple mechanics, but there seemed to be a bit here and there
about with hobby shops. What I was looking for wasn't that
uncommon (tg10 parts), all I wanted was for someone to not suggest I
had made the wrong choice when buying my car and just sell me what I
was looking for (if they do in fact stock it).

For the record, I think this club site is doing a lot for the club

http://www.pdnracing.org.au/

It seems far more inviting to the new starter than a lot of sites I have seen. Now, back to cutting holes in my body shell :)</span>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol yep thats the way they do, money sucking vampires..lol

i went in wanting a airfilter...walked out with a airfilter, locktite, filter oil, fuel tubing...whaaa...

also they have spares for a grasshopper/hornet crap, yet they dont stock NEWER tamiya car parts...

Nismo

·
Registered
131 Posts
i prefer all thepracticalities ofan electric car provide.....butif you dont have the fumes and the noise....it aint a real car

·
Registered
709 Posts
yepos them lhs's can be a real $$ burner! spent $200 in dandy last week-servo saver, bearings, fuel line, airfilter, few screws, areial?, walked out happy but.

Mate went down to Hoppers, he was chasing a new piston an sleeve for a kyosho mp6... walked out with the parts.... run his engine in... snapped the crankshaft...only$20. but OUCH...$120(piston/sleeve) down the drain.. not the firsttime mind you... try the 3rd, first had airfilter come off, swallowed a nice teaspoon of dirt, second was run in to lean.u would think that the decent ppl at the lhs would throw in a part here or there an try to keep u an ya car on the track/road/trails, but nup... ah well...Live an Learn.

Wondering if the mini T is safe.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not as bad as getting a piston and sleeve, new tuned pipe, all these
other goodies..($220 worth) and finding out the screws to hold the
header i think it is..

are too short..arghht that was annoying...gone back to electric anyhow.

Nismo

·
Registered
358 Posts
Penrith racing has been HUGE this season. I've been racing (or trying to) in the off-road class and sometimes I couldn't enter because there were just too many people.

There's 8 or 9 classes with 10 drivers per class and there's about 78 drivers each Tuesday night.

Last night was the last race of the season and next week is awards presentation with Drag Racing!

I've just gotten a new engine running in my buggy, so I'm looking forward to concentrating on straight line and not handling!

If you're local & have nothing better to do, you definitely should come and check it out in the Harvey Norman car park next Tuesday (just down the road from Panthers).

Cheers! Oggy

Edit: damn, just realised that I was replying to a month old post on page 1!

Well, keeping it on-topic, I replaced my engine and went to the LHS to get a new clutchbell & bearings but instead walked out with a few extra shims on my stock CB doing the trick for zero $.Edited by: Ogier

1 - 15 of 15 Posts