Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my pullstart is fugging up and instead of paying $55 for another pullstart i rather get a starter box.

i seen this "Q-World Starter Box, for 1/8 Off Road Buggys! great quality 12V Dual 550 Motor design, and includes a Power Panel for glow starting!"

for $145........

i was wondering
<UL>
<LI>does that mean that includes an outlet for my glow starter and i wont need a seperate glow starter battery, coz glow starter needs 1.5v
<LI>where do i get a 12v battery from? -other than my car?and how do i recharge... i got a 2200Mah car charger does this work?
<LI>how reliable are these starter boxes... and the motors in the boxes?</LI>[/list]

thx
Edited by: KyoshoKev

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey there,

that link doesn't work for me, but I'm guessing it's the one on RMS's front page?

I don't know how well that one would work, but I just bought a 1/8 buggy starter box for $130 from my LHS. It has a single (570?) motor and I run it from 2x 6V 4Ah SLA batteries from old alarm systems. The batteries are a bit old but starting for the first race is no problem, 2nd race has trouble turning the engine over though.

I use either a car battery charger (4A) that was about $30 from BigW or I use my Omni charger (same as Ansmann) to charge it on the way to the track as it runs from the car battery/cigarette lighter.

a 2200mAh charger sounds like it would be too low powered to charge a 12V SLA battery.

you can get 12V SLA's from Jaycar - I think they start around $30 and go up for higher capacities. Be careful as to what size battery you get though as it may not fit inside the starter box - that's the problem I've got with my 2x 6V setup.

Cheers! Oggy.
p.s. if you need one of those Omni chargers, I've got a couple for sale.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You just have to be careful that the chassis opening is big enough - mine was chopping up the starter wheel a bit until I got into it with a dremel and ground away the sharp edges and now it starts much more easily.

Yep, mine came from Graham's at St Marys, it's a cheap box and it does the job for me.

How's the Rex going? How long have you had it, is 3 weeks up yet?

Cheers! Oggy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i think this is the 3rd week now, i already broke it once, had a collision with an MTA-4
buts its all good now, runs extremly well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts