Australian RC Forums banner

Which ESC?

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
Hey i have just bought a tamiya ta04-r tuned chassie kit and need a ESC to go with it but am unsure about which one to get I have a few in mind which are below, and i donlt think i will need reverse but i spoze it would be a nice option to have but not 100% ness. JUst want to know what you guys might reccomend and if you know anywhere you can get them cheaper these prices include all postage ect..

Futaba 330 $88 aus

Futaba 800 $189 aus

Nosram dominator power $202 aus

anything else people reccomend, i want somthing that will allow me to upgrade motors ect later on, and a budget of $200 aus

thanks

#2 ·
#5 ·
aidz said:
Hey i have just bought a tamiya ta04-r tuned chassie kit and need a ESC to go with it but am unsure about which one to get I have a few in mind which are below, and i donlt think i will need reverse but i spoze it would be a nice option to have but not 100% ness. JUst want to know what you guys might reccomend and if you know anywhere you can get them cheaper these prices include all postage ect..

Damned good prices on those... which shop are they from??

Futaba 330 $88 aus

Futaba 800 $189 aus

Nosram dominator power $202 aus

Futaba 400/600/800 & the Nosram are first cousins, both are designed/manufactured/whatever by LRP... aka LRP Quantum series, also resold by AE. Futaba 800 is what the reigning IFMAR World Champ uses on his car... and now Tamiya has the same 800 unit rebadged as Tamiya as well.

If you're thinking of racing then Reverse will be a handicap. Reverse ESCs are usually bigger, heavier & have lesser specifications than a fwd-only unit of the same price.

#6 ·
migoreng said:
is the 330 is$88????

hmmm i told zoomer to get one for me...

Yeah, that is amazing price.

Have put in a request for a 330 for you miG and hopefully will know what their invoice is sometime this week. But I think it'll still be in the 3-figures.

If that is a local shop for $88, I'd suggest getting it from there too. But if its just a grey-import or personal import, then there are other issues to consider too.

#10 ·
aidz said:
Yeah these will all be coming from HK, compared to the prices over here i think its probably worth it. What issuses are there to consider? and also thanks for the information zoomer

Ah well, imho not particularly relevant to post HK prices really... not unless there's a direct website with the same prices listed available to all?
HK is always cheap but there's still quite a few fly-by-nighters in the trade over there... and source of their stock is sometimes suspect.

I'm not a big fan of LRP products (various other reasons), but Common issues that I hear with this particular model are:-

- some units (LRP/Nosram/Futaba) are known to be DOA, or fail shortly after installation. Local distributor is good for such issues, they swaparound pretty quickly.

- spareparts... the case is pretty weak and does break. Unless you know of a "backdoor" for spares, usually LHS won't sell you spares unless they know you've also bought the unit from them.

- seem to be quite susceptible to water damage more than other brand ESCs (see below)

- you *must* use Schottky diode and power cap in your installation, or the ESC has a mysteriously short life.

LRP has also updated their brandname model to Quantum Competition 2. This model is now 'potted' to be 100% waterproof. Not sure if this has spread to all the other-branded units yet... might be an idea to get a QC2 instead if its about the same price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.