Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Took my stampede for a run in the wet(cleaned/lubed inside & out afterwards). Now at low speed it wobbles like crazy, rears up then flips over sideways on full throttle. I squeezed the water out of the wheels originally to dry them. Could the foam or whatever is inside be bunched or uneven, that's what it seems like. Suppose I'm asking do I have to take the tyres off and dry them inside? Pain in the butt if I do coz it seems to be wet a lot lately :bang:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It most likely will have something to do with the foams as long as you have not crashed it lol maybe give it till tommorrow to dry out over heater??? and gve them like a god squezz try to feel if anything feels uneven in the foams

Or maybe the foams have started to fall apart from the water

You could pull them off and inspect the foam if u dont have to damage the tyre to do so

Or take them off and roll them to see if they wobble and that will detemine if its wheels or something else even try and hold the middle with 2 fingers and try to spin it in ur hand

Few ideas for you

Hope this helps

Cheers brad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks heaps Brad,

Will give all that a try, when I had the wheels off lubing everything after my run I noticed when i sat them on the bench they had a heavy spot(rock back and forth at a central point)

Never seen the wheel apart (newbie) so was dubious about ripping it off, think I'll wait see if they dry with tyres on.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
No worries mate let me know how you go sometimes if you have to get the tyres off the are glued so you need very hot water to get them off

Cheers brad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hot as in boiling? Will that screw the chrome? Don't really care just curious. Just need to know if I need to get it all off if it peels to glue the tyres back on?

It is a truck after all, not here to win any beauty pageants lol. Surprised it had chrome wheels at all.

Tim

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Ok im not 100 % sure i think it just frees the tyres from the rims you made need to clean them before you put them back on and re glue them.

Chrome makes it look good haha

CHeers brad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True, but I know I'm gonna scratch em up. haha

Do I need something special to clean glue off (Not So LHS- miles away. box hill-i'm in wallan) or can I just get something from hardware shop? Acetone?

thanks mate
tim

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
U may need a fine Emmery sand paper type thing and acetone should do the trick someone else may be able to make sure this is correct as i have never done it before But i think i am on the right track

Cheers brad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool I've got some 1200 or 1600 wet n dry.

Acetone should be alright if I only use it on the tyre rubber.
I'd guess they would melt pretty easily if I got it on the rims/foams.
I can only try it, will let ya know my results for future reference.
Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gday

Water and dust get in from the hole on the inside of the rims that lets air out when tyres take a landing. I'd heard that some racers put 2mm to 3mm holes in the middle of the tread to let water out when the tyre spins.

I had that imbalance with my son's MERV after a wet excursion. I don't get it in my DB01 as these tyres have been holed.

Theres a video online somewhere of Adam Drake preparing his tyres and using a hole punch to puncture the tread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiUJNFQkEzw&feature=player_embedded

Here's a link to Hara doing the same thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiUJNFQkEzw&feature=player_embedded

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I think the wobble is from the foams in your tyres being damp or wet, as this is what happened to me with my slash. If you want to take your tyres of the wheels, then put them in boiling water for a bit, (time varies) and after a while they should almost fall off the wheels. Try to submerge the whole wheel and use the smallest possile container as this keeps the water hotter for longer.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Go buy 4 new wheels and tyres, put some good quality inserts into the tyres and don't worry about it. It's a lesson.
Tyre choice depends on the surface you are driving on most of the time.

Once tyres are glued, there done. I like the idea of recycling wheels and rims but It's so much easier to replace the parts and learn from it.

Besides that, by the time you've read all the posts in your thread you could have new wheels sitting in front of you that you can rely on and a running car tommorrow. No problems!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Boiling the tyres off will more than likely destroy your foams as they dont like getting wet in the first place every time I tried to boil tyres off it destroyed them.

I prefer to bake my tyres off in the oven :thumb: preheat oven to 180deg, put the rim onto a tray, place in oven for around 3-4min then turn over for another 3-4min, remove and pop the tyres off, if the tyres are still holding onto the rim place the rim back into the oven for another min or two, If done correctly there is no damage to the rim,foam and the tyres can always be glued back on .

There are a ton of DIY videos on youtube if your unsure :thumb:

·
Registered
5,389 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got all the stuff ready to boil the tyres off, grabbed the wheels sat down at the bench. Picked up the 1st wheel gave it a squeeze round the 'bead'.

Blow me dead, they're all peeing off by themselves, only on the outside edge of the rim.

So... a little bit of encouragement with a hobby knife to get the little bits that were still stuck, folded the tyre over the inner edge of the rim
and I have 4 disassembled wheels drying out and in great knick. I've cleaned the inserts in clean water - like brand spankers!!!

I will be punching holes in the tyres and duct taping up the rim holes and probably gonna avoid drowning my poor Stampy from now on.

Thanks to you all for awesome advice, I'd be up you know what creek etc. without ya's

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Are these stock Traxxas wheels and tyres that cam on the truck? If so then yeah, the glue that Traxxas uses isn't much better than Clag. It is really weak and every Traxxas car I have ever owned have had the tyres start to come off the wheels with in the first week. You might want to soak the tyres in acetone to remove all that crappy glue and sand the bead channels on the wheels (dremel is great for this) before you glue everything back together. Leaving any original glue residue will compromise your gluing job. Also try to use high quality glue. I just recently tried AKA tyre glue and really like the stuff. Easy to work with and holds as good as anything else I have tried.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah BB they are Traxxas stockie wheels, I had the same in the 1st week.

The 'tech' at the shop I bought the car from said 'I wouldn't waste my money on the expensive glue we sell, I just use home brand superglue from woolworths.'
So that is what I have done, have I done bad?
Oh well too late now, wish I'd read your post yesty.
Where do you get the AKA tyre glue from?

Thanks mate
Tim

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I bought AKA glue from tower with my last order. Thought I'd try it but now I wish I bought more than 2 bottles. One is gone and already got into the second one. Anyway you might be able to get it from some hobby shops here. Maybe the bigger ones.

You never know with that generic CA (super) glue. Sometimes it holds pretty good and sometimes it falls apart very quickly. I think you should just go ahead and use them. If it holds it holds but if it starts to fall apart then you will have to do some more work removing the tyres off the rims. If you have to do that then next time use the proper glue. Loctite also makes a good CA glue that works wonders on rubber to plastic. Loctite 406 I think from memory. Most tool shops have them or can get them in for you. Not cheap but good. Still after using both I like the way the AKA glue flows better but they both seem to hold every bit as good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.