Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the park this afternoon and bugger - lost a wheel nut.

Luckily I didn't strip the wheel and managed to recover the pin and hex - wheel nut is long gone, but I have spares. (I don't have spare hexes or pins so I was really lucky).

The question is this.... Without looking in your assembly manuals, and using common sense, what side should the "Clockwise Tightening" wheel nuts go on, and what side should the "Anti-Clockwise Tightening" wheelnuts be on?

I have my own ideas, but don't want to taint your thought process.

Thoughts?

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
405 Posts
I imagine you'd want the accelerating force of the shaft to apply a tightening effect to the nut?

Clockwise on the left?

Which wheel did you lose it from?

Jerrah.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Silver Wheel Nuts and Output Shafts On The Left

Black Wheel Nuts and Output Shafts On The Right

·
Registered
405 Posts
Your outputs shafts are different colours? I'm pretty certain the ones I pulled out of mine on the weekend were both black?

Jerrah.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerrah,

I think Star Guitar is referring to the axles themselves.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
596 Posts
using commonsense i'd say clockwise tightening wheel nuts should go on the lefthand side.

assumming your savage spends most of the time going forwards then this would stop your wheel nuts on that side coming lose

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jiggen,

Exactly what I reckon. Acceleration would therefore tighten the wheelnuts. Here's the but.....

HPI assemble the truck the other way around. Silver, reverse threads, on the left, black normal threads on the right.

I have a terrible time keeping the wheelnuts tight, but when I reversed them in line with your's and my logic, the bloody wheel flew off... go figure.

My head hurts.....

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
472 Posts
buy some screw hex things - cant memeber da name but they WILL NOT come off unless u physically loosen them.....if you dont wanna buy some just araldyte them on ;) and always tighten wheel nets before every run..i used ot lecture this to star guitar all the time :p

·
Registered
596 Posts
thats not the part ausrc is having trouble with jono

Clamp on hex hubs are a nice addition to any rc though

·
Registered
472 Posts
was jus refering to the fact that he lost the wheel hex and pin...ive actually got some hex's and pins sitting at the post offive( with the rest of my SC order) as i lost 2 hex's while the truck was in pieces :(

·
Registered
596 Posts
the hexes are cheap but the pins are very expensive for what they are. I managed to break every pin on my nitro rally. my solution is get 1.5mm spring steel rod and cut your own pins. you will need bolt cutters for spring steel also the pin u cut will go flying so its best to cover the rod with a cloth to prevent this Edited by: jiggen5354

·
Registered
472 Posts
i heard as a temporary measuer to keep yopu running till you can get some more pins, you can use coat hanger wire??? dunno if its true but yeah..jus thought id mention it

·
Registered
596 Posts
the drive pins are just round bits of steel with a 1.5mm diameter are are about 8mm in length. nothing special, you could use old coat hanger if you wanted

i use spring steel rod cos at that length its indestructable. I'd have to total the whole rc to break a drive pin made of spring steel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.