• TT-01

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm a beginner and a real newbie to RC cars.

I saw the TL-01 and TT-01, and I have heard that Tamiya is kinda the be-all and end-all of RC. Correct me if I'm wrong ok =)

But I want to spend say $300 or $350 maximum.

Frontlinehobbies has a NSX for $160.00 or thereabouts. Just wondering
if anybody has seen it cheaper, and what are the key differences

Any help is appreciated! =)

·
Registered
332 Posts
so what do you want at the moment? just the car and the body shell? or the whole thing to get the car running?

·
Registered
596 Posts
given the choice. i'd go the tt-01 as you have the option to runeither stick pack and side by side battery packs

·
Registered
335 Posts
ill sell you my TB01 for $100, its been used like 12 times? even through in a servo?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pretty much want to get the whole thing running

I just got quoted by Frontlinehobbie @ $350ish.

Is that good?

Futaba Stick Control

Servos

2 Batteries with Sanyo Cells 1500mah

Charger

Car

This is for a TT-01

Microfan - what is the TB-01? Will I destroy it like easily? I am a newbie to this =P

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
TB01 is a heaps better chassis than a TL01/TT01; TB01 would cost you $300 for the car kit alone, new. At that price - can't go wrong.

Even if you put oil shocks and full bearings onto a TT01/TL01 you'll have ended up spending $300 (car only) and still not have something as good as a TB01.

Futaba stick radio is ~$80 (includes receiver & 2 servos).

(Would recommend an Electronic Spd Controller instead of MSC & 2nd servo.)

Batteries are anywhere from $20/pk upwards, depending on how cheapo they are. Better to buy some decent packs instead of getting the 'cheapest' which won't last.

Decent chargers can be had for reasonable money too; whatever you do you must AVOID the "chargeleads" type of charger. They are a deathwish for your batteries.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
zoomer said:
whatever you do you must AVOID the "chargeleads" type of charger. They are a deathwish for your batteries.

Zoomer,

Can you explain what you mean by that? What type of charger is a "chargelead" type and why are they bad for the batts?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Skidd said:
Can you explain what you mean by that? What type of charger is a "chargelead" type and why are they bad for the batts?

Chargeleads are a pair of resistive wires with alligator clips on 1 end (for your 12V car battery) and 7.2V Tamiya plug on the other.

Clip on the car battery and racing pack and wait 15-20 mins. If the pack was flat to start with, it'll be about 70% charged after 15 mins.

Yes they work as promised.

But if you use it right, your pack doesn't get fully charged. That's why auto-cutoff peak detect chargers were invented.

And many ppl have been known to get distracted & 'forget' about the charging. The battery will keep charging away until it blows up and or starts a fire that consumes the 1:1 car + garage + house etc.

Bad stuff.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Ahhh so more bad for the 'goods and chattles' than the batts!!

I don't think I've ever seen a set of those. Guess I'll stick to the charger that automatically flashes the green 'ready' light.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
The batts ain't so good after they've been cooked
so bad the shrinkwrap falls off the pack AND each individual cell, then they short-circuit each other (which causes the Fire).

Don't see them so often now, but not so long ago every electric "starter pack" car gave a set. They were 'cheap' you see... but talk about giving dynamite to kiddies to play with.

I got a whole sackful that I've collected over the yrs, if only to take them out of circulation. Smokey the Bear got nothing on this.

·
Registered
596 Posts
fast charge leads are evil. they are just a length of wire with clips on one end and a plug on the other end for going on your 7.2 volt pack.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
microfan said:
are they the ones that have that dial that you wind up?

no, that's known as a "clockwork" charger.

One step higher up the foodchain and 1000% better - as long as the clockwork don't get stuck 'on'.

·
Registered
335 Posts
thats what i used to charge me batts with but the timer broke, so i just hot wired it together and let it run for a half hour

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The TT-01 is an esasy build rite?

Any key points I need to know before I embark on my enlightment to RC heaven?

·
Registered
596 Posts
being a tamiya, its idiot proof. tamiya with out a doubt does the best instruction manuals around with clear pictures and 1:1 pics of the screws required in each step.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Tamiyas always build up nice.

Easy?
well, could just about snip off all the parts and chuck it all into the box & Shake it, and it'll come out built. Well sort of.

warney said:
Ok dudes,

The charger is an Ansmann
http://www.ansmann.de/en/index.htm?view=detail&pid=455&tab=description&pr2id=&appid=

Is this a good charger?
I also asked the guy @ frontline who was extremely helpful with my more than newbie questions about the ESC, and he said not to worry about it.

Pretty much for what I'm doin he said not to worry about it!
Basically up and down my street that is it!

Gee... I'd *worry* about that sales guy...
overdosed on the chill pill?

If he's giving you an Annsman AC/DC then that's good, its a decent charger from all accounts. Does 3A like the Arlec "Brick" but it does NiMH also.

He don't want to talk to you about ESCs 'cos they cost big money and he don't want to scare customer away... you'll want one eventually.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts