Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I am wanting to get into this hobby and was hoping the pros out there could help me.

Could you please recommend a few MT,ST or buggies that are good for a begginer with a budget of $300-$450.

I plan to use the RC for bashin in the yard, park road. From what I have read an Electric 4x4 MT would be the best choice as a first RC but I would like some profesional recommendations.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums!

The choices are endless, there is a current thread almost the same as this one but Ill try to answer it for you based on my opinions!

I say get electric, its quieter, cleaner and way faster than nitro! it might cost you a little more in th begining but once you have all you need that is it, unlike nitro where you have to always buy fuel and plugs etc.

I say get a 4x4 truck or buggy like you said.

Stick with a well know brand like Traxxas, HPI or Losi to name a few. Why??....because you will break stuff and when you do you'll have no problem trying to find parts for these.

Do you want a buggy or truck? My opinion is get a truck or a truggy. Why...I just like them better, if your new you most likely will want to do jumps! Everyone does, trucks are big and strong!

So what to buy!? my opnion is to get a traxxas stampede XL-5, stampede VXL, e-maxx brushed etc. There are so many to choose from!

Perhaps have a look at traxxas website or the losi, HPI websites and think ofa few you like then get back on here and mention which onesy ou like and people like me will give you there opnions.

If you get electric you may want to buy better batteries and a better battery charger, so that is somthing else to think about in the total cost.

One thing to mention is I think it is best to buy what your really want and what is better built in the begining, rather than buyin ga cheap piece of crap that will break and you will get the sh!ts with straight away!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi there,

I'll tell ya my first big budget RC I got was Traxxas stampede 2WD VXL. Was $570 here in Aus when it first came out. (I'm sure they are cheaper now) And I still own it because I cant break it. Can't grumble at that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ill back em both up with a traxxas, you just cant kill them! Plus the added bonus of them being waterproof. (Ask my bro when i lent him my summit)

With the aussie dollar atm its about $100 cheaper to buy from the US especially with traxxas gear, most hobby shops stock traxxas, and i just saw a catalog for leading edge (kinda like jaycar etc in nsw) and they have stampedes for $350.

I suggest going to a hobby shop if your near one asking alot of questions, do some research to try and make your mind up. Tho a health warning you might get hooked and want to buy everything!

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Before you make any decisions, go to your Local Hobby Shops, have a look at the different models they carry and what spares as well.

First time buying is best done locally....reason being, you are going to need advice, repairs, parts and help...the LHS will be able to do all of this, admittedly it comes at a slightly higher price than purchasing overseas.

Once you have decided what model you would like, get the sales guys to tell you what else you need to get the model running, and ask them to show you what Hop Ups, and spare parts they carry, if they dont carry spares, it can be a long wait for parts when they are needed.

Some models are not supported well in relation to spares, try to ensure the model you are interested in is still a current model, and not one being discontinued, ask lots of questions, the sales guys are there to assist you, and in most cases will do so happily, if they dont want to help, go to another store.
You can generally gauge the support you will get from the level of help you get when looking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks little_drifter

Thanks for you great feedback.

I have been looking at the Traxxas Rustler VXL: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZDA9**&P=ML

I do not particularly like the look of the Stampede but i do like the E-Maxx and the E-Revo. Unfortunately they both have a big price tag to go with it and its a bit of a deter-ant for someone just starting out.

What are your thoughts on the Rustler?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
my thoughts on my rustler, very fast car and good basher once a few upgrades are done, replace broken bits with rpm pieces and u cant really go wrong and being water proof is a plus

my current rustler is indestructible compared to my neighbors rustler, he brakes a bit nearly every time we go out, and replaces them with stock traxxas parts, though rpm parts are a bit dearer, there well worth it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies so far. I have been to a few hobby shops and asked lots of questions. I am amazed by the size of the 1/8 MT. I agree with everyone that the stampede would be suitable however I am not fond of the way the body sits on it chassis. The tyres holes and front bonnet grill do not sit low enough and makes the truck look silly, it is perfect match for my budget however it makes sense to purchase something I like otherwise I simply wont use it. I am looking at the Rustler (Brushless) and E-Maxx (Brushed).

I guess the question is now should i save the money and get the E-Maxx (Brushed) - $391.98 or save even more for the Brushless - $601.99. If I was willing to spend $601.99 then i might as well get the E-Revo (Brushless) - $691.99. Lol at this rate my first truck could cost me $1000+

So many people say different things and it is all very confusing, I guess I'm better off getting brushless because it will save me more in the long run because i'm likely to do a conversion on the E-Maxx Brushed at a later stage (if i bought it).

To throw another spanner in the works i have seen the HPI Savage Flux 2350 MT for $499.98 @ Towers - Are these any good? or should I stick to E-Maxx or Rustler?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If it's something you would appreciate more and keep for longer it may be better to spend more on your first even if it comes to around $1000.00 for initial set up (Lipo's, Charger, a few spares) at least there will be a next to no running cost associated to it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I also have a rustler vxl and I think they are great for bashing. I would also recommend the traxxas slash 4x4 but by the time you buy batteries and a charger it will probably exceed your budget.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm the outsider here lol. I have had 3 savages now. 1 was stolen, and other 2 I still have. When first one was stolen I bought 2 more lol.

I couldn't believe what I done to this truck and didn't break it. Very reliable. They have had issues with diffs and brakes etc but that was with the nitro version and the new Flux 2350 has new diffs to stop that and different brake setup. (motor does it now not discs)

I have also had a T-Maxx. The nitro version of the E-Maxx. Was a tough lil truck. Not quite as well built as the savage. But still good. I think the only brands to pick from for this is HPI, Traxxis and Losi. They seem to be very popular and pretty tough these days.

As for the brushed E-Max. You could pickup a Hobbywing ESC and motor for it for about 150. Or even a castles combo for approx 250. Maybe worth going the brushed at first. Save up a bit more n convert to brushless.

Also dont forget to pick a charger and batteries THAT WILL FIT your truck you pick. Decide on everything first let us know before buying anything and we might be able to save some coin for ya.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I used to own a Rustler and it was great fun, very quick and durable with a few mods

Slash 4x4 is an awesome car and would be my choice with that sort of budget

Cheers

·
Registered
476 Posts
get the slash 4x4. it is durable, fast, reliable, handles well, and is basically a truggy. it is $400 from tower delivered, is waterproof, brushless, pretty big, and has a decent radio system. It gets over everthing except rock crawling courses LOL! it comes with a ok battery and, lets face it-pretty ordainary charger-but itll do for a few months until you spend $50-60 on decent lipo and charger from hobbyking

p.s. have a look at crusey_aus's slash 4x4 build-it shows you you can never have enough hop ups.

cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts