Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are these little cars like?..ive seen a few....do they take standard size radio gear and motors??

maybe you could turn some light this way AUSRC as you have one..

THANKS

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Standard radio gear - yes (within reason).

Standard motor? What's "standard"? They take FP-180SH motors which is the standard for a Tamiya Tamtech... bigger than the ones in a Mini4X4 & MiniZ which are 130 sized.

Haven't run it yet, so can't say any more.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Nismo,

They will take standard radio gear and servos, but being a smaller car, weight is everything.

I run a Hitec HS-81MG Micro Servo and a Novak Spy ESC. The servo is the important one here. If you use a standard servo it has to stand upright, by changing to the micro servo it lies down flat. This reduces CG but it also alloows you to use the HPI dual link tierod set. This gives you much better flexibilty in steering setup.

There are heaps of hopups available - right through to full chassis kit upgrades that are very impressive. I am still running the stock moter, but on 7.2v packs, and it is quite quick. There are a large range of hopup motors that are hellishly quick. These are typically the hand wound, dyno tuned jobbies. They have a larger can that the stock motors and require a different engine miunt, etc.

Before I got too carried away on the hopups I bought the Savage and that slowed the spending. It s likely to slow further as I am about to buy a 1/10 Nitro Tourer.

1/64, 1/18, 1/10 and 1/8 - hmmmmm - need more money.....

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
standard.....540 is what most 1/10 cars these days.....some monster trucks use 550 due to the power and torque.....

Nismo

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Here are some pics of the Motek EXO2 Chassis - this thing is sweet. This is a $110US hopup the Micro RS4.

http://www.motekracing.com

There are also very popular championship chassis made by PenguinRC.

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK!!!

that is one seriously sweet looking car..sorta reminds me off a EVO3 SL...lol.

damn i gotta get one off those

Nismo

thanks for the info AUSRC

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
On the engine issue - Zoomer is quite right - stock is a 180 (65 turn).

They go to about 370Big Block, but then you have the Dyno Tuned and run in engines like the Rabid Chihauhau Tuned Big Block. 370 Big Block $11US, the Rapid $25US. Pretty cheap really.

Word of warning though - don't go big block without Steel Pinions and Steel front dogbones. Stock is nylon.

Regards,

AUSRCEdited by: AUSRC

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
540 is "standard" for 1/10 sure, but we're talking 1/18 here.

If you want a *real* motor in your 1/18th, the only way is this:

Stock FP-180SH is pretty gutless running on 4-cells, but perks up significantly if oyu use 6-cells. I've built up a 6x AA side-by-side pack that will fit laterally within the BMW shell with 150mm wheelbase... but other shells might be narrower though. Can use AAA cells maybe.

Brother bought me HPI's biggest motor for xmas (2001?), its a purple round can thing. Supposedly its the biggest motor that will fit in without any motor-mount modifications.

If ya bust your FP-180SH, I know where to find a spare. Just strip an electric cordless toothbrush, it'll be one in there!!!

HPI Micro tips?
<UL>
<LI>Yes have bought metal universals for the front. Got ones with nyloc wheelnuts.</LI>
<LI>Filled up the gear diffs with Tamiya AW Grease - best stuff for them.</LI>
<LI>Comes fully ballraced, but I added some extra BBs for the belt guides... BBs came from a Mini4X4 Tamiya.
</LI>
<LI>Doesn't really need much more hopups, really.</LI>[/list]

As per all HPI kits, I like to boil the plastics before building. Making soup with all the injection molded parts relieves the stress in the plastic and makes it more pliable = less breakage. (Avoid using mum's best saucepan though!)

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
nismospeed said:
OK!!!
that is one seriously sweet looking car..sorta reminds me off a EVO3 SL...lol.

damn i gotta get one off those

Danny, your obsession with the e3SL is bordering on worrying.

You know as well as I do what the only cure is... BUY one!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
way too much

zoomer...nah, i got more of a obsession with skylines....on a EVO 3 chassis..lol

but seriously, that is one sweet looking HPI mini........what bodies do they have??

Nismo.......danny..lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why did you have to post that on here,
...now i wanna go buy one..no..must..not....hit the .......BIN button..on ebay.....

ARGHHH

Nismo

·
Registered
158 Posts
the micro rs4 is sweet and will neva tire onyou, well didnt on me (only drove it for on ebattery pack) butthey rock they are fast,and use full scale electric equipment the price on them is a little hefty but its reasonable as its 1:10th crammed into a little beastly package, im a afan of the c5-r my favoirite rc body, although not my favoirite cars ( YES< MITSUBISHI STARTING IMPORTS OF EVO 8) just had to though that in

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yokomo's new 1/18th car looks like a better design for racing, if you're willing to go for mini-size servo, RX & ESC. It will take the MicroRS4's same wheels/tyres and bodies too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes and also the XRAY m18 i think it is, that shares all the bodies and wheels as weel, its shaft drive too....

Nismo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Danny, your obsession with the e3SL is bordering on worrying.

You know as well as I do what the only cure is... BUY one!!

i know i know....but i cant..too much i reckon, and i got a 1/10th for
now, i wanna try one off these micro's, seems heaps off ppl have em

Nismo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ahhh seeing about getting one off those chassis next month....

any idea how much postage will be to tasmania???....they say a flat rate off $9US...

the chassis is $110US..so im looking at under $200AUD???

Nismo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts