Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about to order my newST and was woundering what use guys take to race days - this is wha tim getting as follows

basically im wonder if i wanna get into racing, is there anything more i need to take along as i never got around to serious racing with my savvy

thanks

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBBD3&P=6

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAFE4&P=ML

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAMV3&P=V

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAMV4&P=9

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCFW2A3&P=0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDU11&P=ML

·
Registered
660 Posts
12V battery, charger, drinks and food

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
borrowing a charger off of star guitar so tahts covdered

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahaha yeah bu i dont miss the hole it made in ym hip pocket

common guys theres gotta be something im missing

·
Registered
371 Posts
Jono, i've got the nitro version, great car, but buy extra screws as the are always falling out and coming loose

·
Registered
596 Posts
keeping in mind i race carpet tc cars i take:

1 yokomo cgm

1 practice battery

4 race batteries

1 KO vantage esprit II controller

1 eagle cdc 6b charger

1 12.5 amp switchmode power supply

1 box of random screws, pins, pinions, wheel nuts, crystals, ball cups, etc

1 tamiya trf tool kit

all this fits into atool box. (a big one)

·
Registered
5,213 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for the camber measurer ill jus use a sliding bevel (i think tahts what its called)

also will dirt hawgs be fine for bashing, and i will use the stock pins (rear) and ribbed(front) tires?

also in buying the proline dirt hawgs, woudlnt they already come with the corect foams

thanks everyone for ur imput and keep it coming, ordeering tonight so sudgest anything and everything

(ive already bought a carton of coke cans and a few packets of doritos and pit equipment)

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
well i cant say what the inserts are like with the dirt hawgs, but generally i take the inserts that come with any tyre, and toss them over my shoulder + use others i bought, because usually they are too soft + ya tyres get too much sidewall movement (which contributes to tyre balooning)

dirt hawgs are a great all round thrashing tyre.. a lot of ppl use them on their nitro rustlers + they last a long time.

My rustler came with gladiators (got the truck 2nd hand) and i find that they work great for me, so ive never had to buy truck tyres yet but i *hear* its best to use ribbed tyres on the front of 2wd trucks..

instead of the camber gauge, you can buy a "protractor" from any decent news agent, schoolor even one of themcheap tool shops that u see in markets.. they are commonly used in mathematics...

Vernier calipers can help also, for accurately measuring turnbuckle + shock lengths, and various other things..

Edited by: Oblivion

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kewl kewl..yep got a protractoir as jus had my yr12 maths exma, also manual arts teacher will lend me his digital vernier guage. also i meant that would using the stock pin tires and rib tires be good for racing?

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
the ribbed ones will be fine upfront.. the spike/pin style rear tyres are usually only good on really loose soft soil.. if you run them on hard packed dirt they will probably wear down in no time at all, so i would definately get some better rear tyres with the truck anyway.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeppers getting some proline dirt hawgs and nick is giving me his old dirt hawgs so im set there

·
Registered
166 Posts
jono how r ya? i race with a guy with a evader but 1st thing he did was
tore out the stocker engine and wipped in a Novak Brushless SS with
3300 6cells. i can tell u that thing flies. bout 80kmph. or even
faster. but watch out there not the gratest for bashing. also ull be
supprised that Team Assosiated use most of the same parts on there
truck as they do on the evader. not sure wot ur total is
gonna be on tower but over here we get em for 400 with radio gear and a
6cell not sure wot power tho.
Edited by: IlUvMySaVaGe25

·
Registered
596 Posts
dunno how much truth there is to this but I have been told the duratrax buggies and stadium trucks are based (blatant copy) of the losi XX series vehicles. if this is true then this is a good thing.

the 1 year stress tech warrantee is a bonus provided they are still honoring it here in oz

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeppers thje stress tech is a BIG bonus and also i have heard they are based on other buggies..if i get desperate ill jus throw other parts on to get me racin

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Have not heard of local Oz distributor advertising Stresstech, think its US-only- so your mileage may vary.

As for tyres, as a rule of thumb:

Loose dirt:- use big spikes on medium-to-hard rubber

Packed dirt "blue groove":- use soft mini-pins or bowties

Sand:- paddles

Tarmac:- get road tyres or sponge

Front steering non-driven:- stick with ribbed unless that gives too much steering. Can get combo ribs & minipins for hard packed dirt.

Offroad car tuning is very important as that's where most of the grip comes from. You want to run it low as possible but avoid bottoming-out. The moment your chassis bottom hits dirt the force is reduced on your tyres. Otherwise low COG is needed to avoid traction-rolling.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
jiggen5354 said:
dunno how much truth there is to this but I have been told the duratrax buggies and stadium trucks are based (blatant copy) of the losi XX series vehicles. if this is true then this is a good thing.

That's what ppl say too, but when one goes and compares the current Duratrax to the old Losis side-by-side... I'd say Duratrax hasn't simply recycled the molds.

Some parts fit & can be swapped though, with some effort.

Then again most other brands' carswould have similar parts that can cross-fit with some filing etc.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im getting some soft springs for front and hard for rear..shuold i order different springs with my next order? or will these be alright? they r only 3.79US a pair or somehting like that so itll be right..jus throw your sudgestion at me

1 - 20 of 20 Posts