Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My glow plug battery was fully used during the long weekend... and my hobby shop not open..

i was wondering what sort of batteries can i hook up my glow plug starter to?

i was thinking either a 9v or even a car battery...

would the 9v be enuff or the car battery will be too much??

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Your glowplug wants 1.5V, that's ONE AND A HALF volts.

You can use anything that provides 1.5V and sufficient amps... eg a single D-size Duracell will work, a single AA battery probably won't suffice unless you have several of them hooked up in parallel (+ve to +ve, -ve to -ve).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i take that as a no

u think if i hook the plug up to the battery... but not up to the car... the battery gets drained... coz i left the plug on, but off the car and my battery was discharged

·
Registered
761 Posts
Why dont you just recharge it?

If its not a rechargable, go to your hobby shop when their open and get a rechargable battery and a charger. Then that means no more buying batteries... YAY.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok if i buy a rechargeable battery.... u think i can use my 2200Mah Charger... it was designed for my car battery.

how much for the rechargeable battery??

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
If you already have the cord, just go get a 1x D-cell battery holder from Dick Smiths and buy some D-size rechargeable batteries.

Make sure your charger can handle *single* cells; some can only do a minimum of 4-cells in series (4.8V).

Your battery will be drained ONLY when the plug is glowing.

But its likely that your battery has been chucked into your toolbox along with other metallic items and its shorted out, now its dead.

Star Guitar said:

I think he's got one of those large ones, size of a salami or a 1L carton of milk. They are a drycell, not rechargeable.

·
Registered
761 Posts
zoomer said:
Star Guitar said:

I think he's got one of those large ones, size of a salami or a 1L carton of milk. They are a drycell, not rechargeable.

LOL

A rechargable from like your hobby shop should only be a few dollars, and a charger shouldnt be too much either.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i got a C cell plug ignighter from tower for$7.49US (Iused the $20 voucher)but when i used to have planes we just made a clip from a peg, few wiresand ANY 1.5 volt battery. Battery size usually just means life - rule of thumb: if it glows then its fine.

What are thoes big 1.5V batts worth these days?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Morphy said:

About $30-35 I think...

But they last forever (unless shorted out). I've still seen some ancient Evereadys in use, the ones with the ancient "black cat jumping thru the 9" logo.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
zoomer said:
Morphy said:

About $30-35 I think...

But they last forever (unless shorted out). I've still seen some ancient Evereadys in use, the ones with the ancient "black cat jumping thru the 9" logo.

big, heavy, easy to short, expensive. Why would you every look past a rechargable setup?

This one from tower is only 18.99USD, so heaps cheaper!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Morphy said:

Well for an Ozzie, the plugpack charger's probably junk!!

LHS probably sells the same "hotpocket" for about $40-50... with a 240V charger.

But it still don't help if it dies mid-day... I usually carry 2 charged ones, plus a 12V quickcharger (not easy to find) and some spare alkaline cells just in case.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
zoomer said:
Morphy said:

Well for an Ozzie, the plugpack charger's probably junk!!

LHS probably sells the same "hotpocket" for about $40-50... with a 240V charger.

But it still don't help if it dies mid-day... I usually carry 2 charged ones, plus a 12V quickcharger (not easy to find) and some spare alkaline cells just in case.

You get the idea, and you can get the tower version(rebranded) here in aus. Doesn't matter what starter you carry, it could always go flat! At least with a rechargable you could just charge it up over night and then its good to go.

Said that, the cheap ass C cell one i bought from tower is my backup...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
jiggen5354 said:
12 motor bike battery, power panel and starter box for me

Jiggen,

Tell me more about your "Power Panel". I have been looking to buy / make one of these.

Does it supply 1.2v, 7.2v and 12v all from the 12v battery?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Powerpanels are vestiges from the airplane crowd, when everyone had a 12V battery to run their spinner starters from - so they also supply 1.5V for your glowplug. I got a Kyosho panel from the 1970s, its got a current meter too...

On a car, its only useful if you have a starterbox. There are versions you can build to incorporate into your starterbox, and hive off the installed gelcell or 14.4V nicads. (Search the web, there's quite a few usable circuits you can build easily. Build one with a current meter or a indicator LED so you know your plug is still good.)

Only problem with powerpanels is you still need the glowplug cord. These arepain as ours always got destroyed by the car gears if/when they got jammed in.

Hotpocket solves all this problems.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.