Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this speed meter looks pretty cool. They had them in my lhs today, it would be pretty interesting to see what speed your vehicle travels at. Is it accurate, and is it worth $70?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Will,

You got me interested, so I did some research.....

Courtesy of the Venom Website, here are 2 links (pages 1 and 2) for the instruction manual:

VSM Page 1
VSM Page 2

The Venom Home Page can be found here: Venom Home Page

It seems easy to setup, and should work just fine.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
761 Posts
personally, id rather use a speed gun like the police ones, itd be easier to use and set up since all you have to do is turn it on and set it to mph or kph which ever you wanted, where as the venom im sure has to have a part of it attach to a moving part on the truck/car and then theres a chance it could tangle in that moving part and wreck either the unit itself by ripping out the wire... happened on my antenna on my stadium truck... or wrecking something else

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks pretty smart though. Just have to think of a place where you could put it i suppose.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Will,

If you do pick one up, let us know - I will get you to do a review and we will post it in our news section.

The Google bot goes through the site at least once a month now and people searching for reviews on the VSM should be able to find it here.

Thanks,

AUSRC

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
very cool, but i agree with star guitar, some handheld device could be used for every truck on the track, not just yours.

Either way it would make a very handy tuning tool to try different setups/mods...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
If anybody wants a decent review, read latest copy of Racing Lines magazine. They run it in both a truck & a touring car.

No more than a glorified pushbike computer imho... same technology using the hall-effect sensor? Installing it properly looks like a bit of work.

Choose the K-band radar route instead, got more uses outside of RC.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
interesting, i wonder if i could recallubrate my bike speedo for rc.... find a tiny magnet...might just work...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've heard that they aren'treally worth the money because they don't account for any ballonage in the tires. But I haven't tried one so this might be wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yep, it measures how many rotation your shaft makes - so there's no change when your tyres go bigger..!

Also the calibration routine is a little hit-n-miss.

Currently the best ways of measuring speed are (1) the radar gun and (2) sticking a handheld GPS unit inside the car. Those Garmin things are amazing.

G

·
Hi guys

I have bought one of these speed meters and so far havent been able to get it working it powers up no worries but it wont read the speed .

I have set the sensor to within the 2mm varience the allow for it to read and done everything by the book but still cant get it to read and kind of speed wether MPH or KPH the only reading i can get out of it is the volts no odometer no top speed

G

·
Looks like i might have found out whats wrong with this unit not working

The sensor has to be parralell with the magnet not in a direct line with it like i have mounted it

If any of you buy one go over the destructions supplied very carfully because they arnt what you would call super clear

I think ill use this one on the pirate find out what its doing then transfer it over to the tmaxx if i actualy get it working

cheers guys Ian

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Guess you're not a big Racing Lines reader.

That mag has reviewed & been using it in their review cars ad inifinitum. Lotsa pix there showing how they installed it & the sensor/magnet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just installed one of these on Friday. they are not too bad! nothing more than fun... doesn't help with anything... it tracks:-

Current speed,which is really handy unless you sit on your car when you drive it!

Max Speed, I hit my top today of 47kph.

Trip Meter, resets when you turn the car off, gives 10 meter readings.

Total ODO. tracks whole k's since installation.

Fun for novelty...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
yeh ive got a VSM they are good little ideas if you ask me. Just
got to have a bit of patience installing it and making sure it lines
up properly. a suggestion to anyone who owns one or buys one,
make sure u superglue the magnet onto your shaft or where
ever you are putting it and also put some electrical tape around
it and the shaft aswell... trust me, it needs alot to be held on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.