Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend was trying to get some chassis tuning for 'stock'. Or at least get the damned car driving straight - had been very tailly and doing donuts.

Decided to throw all preconceptions out of the window and just do stuff that nobody has tried before... like chassis tuning by actually sitting down on the track and watching firsthand how the chassis & suspension reacts. (You can't see anything from the drivers' stand.)

Talk about serendipitous rebellion.

(a TAMIYA SURIKARN btw)

Everybody runs top links as long as available... I made all the links short as possible.

And as everybody says to run hard springs, harder on Surikarn than std EvoIII & usually harder in front... gee let's try Soft springs... All round!

Laydown the shocks? Nah screw that, stick them pretty upright (middle holes F&R).

Shock oil fresh 60/40.

Camber let's jack them down... 1deg on front, 0.5deg on rear.

Front toe about straight (out approx 0.5deg); rear is stock 2.0deg with B/B blocks.

Swaybars used to be equal 'soft' all round... nah, take off the rear and put stiffer (yellow) up front.

I usually run diffs quite tight... but now loosened the rear. Oneway front diff as standard.

Running on some ancient CS27s on their last legs. Untreated, unprepped and not even cleaned.

Put the car on the track ... WOW - its just glued like I would not believe.
It turned on a dime, it tracked dead straight, the tail was planted.

So much so I gave the TX to a friend - one who's never driven a 1/10 before - let him have a go. And he couldn't do any wrong...

wow.

Ran a couple of packs thru it, it stayed planted.

Not just gotta go back to the track another day and try it some more; maybe even propogate those settings onto another car and see what that does.

·
Registered
596 Posts
my surikarn is still pretty much stock setup except for :

Red sway bars front and rear

60 wt oil front and rear

Ball diffs front and rear both real loose but rear a tad tighter

old type A's

I havent changed this set up for a while and it works fine on carpet at night

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stiffer shock springs and 2-hole pistons might be the go for carpet if its very smooth and unlumpy. Should give better grip than tarmac.

(Have never raced on carpet before.
)

·
Registered
596 Posts
my car is quite soft and leans a fair bit in the corners but i can still get it around the track quite fast

·
Registered
439 Posts
I run the '04 with the shocks in the outer most position on the towers, outermost on the arms and that made a noteable difference to the car, as did the tighter front ball diff to the rear gear diff.

Havent moved the shocks to the inner mounts on the arms that will make them even more upright, but should do some time.

Might try shortening the camber links to to see what happens

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jiggen5354 said:
my car is quite soft and leans a fair bit in the corners but i can still get it around the track quite fast

If grip is good on carpet then stiffen the suspension and make it work harder for you. I think carpet+underlay also 'gives' more than concrete/tarmac so that does some of your suspension work for you too.

Last time I saw ozite was at Hurstville in NSW.

·
Registered
596 Posts
the carpet we race on is slippery. Its about 20 years old and has been race on both sides. Its just laid out on polished wood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.