Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday all,

Well, after spending most of the week waiting for diff gears to arrive for my Terra and meticulously cleaning and rebuilding the truck when the gears did arrive - I thought all systems were go until - bummer! - Went to put a front wheel on and had the hex and hub part disintegrate in my fingers!!

My question is.......how do I remove the tyre glue??........... so I can save the tyres, which are hardly worn??

Cheers,

Steve

(ps - AUSRC - good job on the photo gallery - I'll be ina position to add my pics when the truck is complete)

·
Registered
596 Posts
you can

use CA debonder but this may eat the rubber. available from you local hobby shop

use acetone. works good but takes time

boil the the lot in in water as the ca glue will go brittle and come away from what ever you have glued

·
Registered
761 Posts
Also you can heat up the oven to i think around 250F and then once its heated up turn it off and throw the tire into the oven for about half an hour. I havent tryed it yet, but the hot water one also works.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Steve,

I have tried boiling - did jack crap.

I know that Dan (the forum member previously known as Odum) used acetone with great success. He posted it somewhere....... here 'tis.

http://www.ausrc.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=514&PN=1

Knowing that you are a patient man, I would go the acetone. Slow and steady will win the race.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
596 Posts
boiling does work. you just have to give it about 10 minutes in the water. the ca will go brittle so you can crack it off

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

However, I may not need to remove the tyre now - My LHS's, who I thought had some TC rims, didn't, although jjjrules tells me his LHS up north has some tyres and wheelsthat will fit for $120 for the 4.

My search on the web for rims that will fit the stock TC tyres was fruitless - the tyres are quite large - rims are same diameter as those for a T-Maxx, but they are considerably wider.

So, not particularly wanting to spend upwards of $100 on wheels and tyres anyway,I thought its improvisation time.

Here's what I did:

The problem was that the surface of the wheel where the wheel nut screws up against disintegrated. So, I dremmelled out the diameter of the recess where the wheel nut sitsa tad, so that a flat metal washer would sit niceley in the hole, against the lip that was there.

Next, I mixed up some araldite epoxy and glued the washer in place.

Given that the inside area of the wheel where the hex nut sat was slightly cracked, I also glued in the hex nut with sufficient araldite to basically fill up every bit of space between the back of the hex nut, through the wheel to the back of the metal washer...following so far, are we??

So that I still had an opening for the drive shaft, I put a bit of fuel tubing through the drive shaft hole in the wheel and kept twisting it gently until the araldite went off.

The end result looks o/k but I won't know how it will stand up till I hit the track. I've put this wheel on the front so as it won't have to absorb impacts fromjumps etc, which typically are absorbed by the rear wheels.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jjjrules,

Do I sense that you're expecting something to leave the vehicle and move in a direction away from the truck at a great pace?!?!?!

I should be able to test it out this arvo.

If this fails, it looks like I have to get some new ones.

Apparently the weight of the stock wheels and tyres retard performance - I'm told the difference in acceleration with some smaller and lighter wheels is incredible. Proline 40 seriesorSavage wheels and tyres is what a lot of Terra owners have gone for, with good results.

Cheers,

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.