Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - my Truckzilla kit arrived yesterday. Only 5 days after being sent from Texas (good service)

Includes an easy start back plate for the .46 engine, stronger dog bones and a longer rear drive shaft. TVP's are 1 inch longer and are 3.1mm thick compared to the stock 2.4mm. Pipe is highly polished.

Here's a pic of the Truckzilla Wheel/Tyre next to the standard. Big aren't they?

This pic shows the enormous size of the .46 compared with the HPI .25 (shown here with Nova racing head). Big mother of a thing although angle of picture makes it look a little bigger anyway.Hot Bodies claim 4.6 horsepower (we'll see) with rpm range of 2000 to 23000. Comes with 15 tooth bell to compensate for lower rpms.

Initial impression is good. Quality of components is high (head on .46 is a bit chinzy copared to the Nova). Instructions, whilst in black and white, are complete and easy to follow. Break in instructions are straight out of Savage manual. Conversion uses all standard throttle and brake linkages. Installation should be a breeze but I'll keep you informed. Kit alsoincludes a few screws etc and an alloy exhaust mount.

All in all great value imho.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
jjjrules,

How long have you had that kit now? Is your savage in pieces yet?

Look forward to seeing the end result.

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
wow thats nice so how much did it cost and where did u order it from????

i think when i get some spare change i'll be getting 1

also u reckon it pull huge wheelies

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ausrc - you'll be happy to know the Savage is still in one piece. I have ordered an alloy clutch shoe set from Novaas clutch is a weak spot apparently. I'll probably wait until it arrives (maybe). Nellyneil - (funny my daughter's name is Nellie) - I got the kit fromHipro Hobbies inVictoria - Texas. They are fantastic to work with and as I said - 5 day delivery (wow).Ifit's ok with Ausrc I will post their details on the forum. The contact is janet and she is verygood at what she does. I paid $290 USD for thekit and $60 delivery. I have since bought some other things from them as they have pretty good prices. I have read a lot about Truckzillaon the net and whilst some people have had problems I think a well set up zilla will pull awesome wheelies don't you?BTW it's 4.8 HP claimed not 4.6. Proofs in the pud tho so I'll keep you all up to date.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
WOW that thing is huge (refering to the truck only...)

Mush see it in action!

·
Registered
472 Posts
looking good...i was considering ordering one, then one of my friends on another forum had the engine mount rip the side of the crank case off...so it kinda turned me off..but i say go for it...have u got a web address for this place in texas?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
jjjrules,

Always looking for good suppliers do post away....

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
405 Posts
jjjrules,

I'm interested in the tyres you have for the Truckzilla. Do you believe you could mount them on a standard Savage without the wheels rubbing (or other weird handling issues)... Are they wider than the standard tyres?

Jerrah.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
jjjrules - should I be surprised that you have already opened the kit??!!??

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve - I don't know that anything ever surprises you - except when that dang epic won't start (ever thought how appropriate that name is? Epic I mean).

Jerrah - the wheels are bigger in diameter, wider and have a slightly bigger offset. You need a pretty good servo to steer them but there are no issues with clearance. Handling I'll have to tell you about when it runs. I have read on the net that the Truckzilla is better run on the big wheels due to horsepower and gearing issues. They look strong around the hex area - possibly stronger that the standard Savage wheels.

Jo-No - I've heard of the engine mount breakage problem too. Fingers crossed eh? I think this problem could be caused by chassis flex so may be solved with some good bracing. We'll see.

Unfortunately Hipro Hobbiesdo not have a web site but they do sell on the Australian Ebay site. Apparently it is a family owned business and has been established for many years. I have dealt with Janet who is the daughter of the owner. Please be aware that Isupport buying Aussie but these things are not available here to my knowledge. Their email is [email protected] I have had a few probs emailing so I have communicated thru the Ebay "Ask Seller a Question" link. This is a link to the items they currently have for saleon Ebay.com.au

[url]http://cgi6.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherIte ms&userid=hiprohobbies&sort=2&page=1&rows=25 &since=-1&showpics=1&stab=0 [/url]

ta

John

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I think that anyone looking for an Savage SS kit needs to check that link out. They have about 4 of them, buy it now, for $344US. Very cool.

Thanks John.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
sweet $5us cheaper than tower (well at least they have them in stock!)

I still can't believe thats less than half our shelf price excluding shipping - no offence to the lhs, but how do you expect to keep selling this stuff?

·
Registered
536 Posts
man the truckzilla is downright mean i would really like one the plan is get a savvy as soon as tower have em in stock about 2-3weeks and maybe a truckzilla a few months later i would get truckzilla without the wheels as i would rather have big joes as they a good quality and hot bodies don't have the best tyres

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry I've been off line on the Truckzilla - I will do a review soon if you guys are still interested. I have had some issues with the running in process (rubbish pull start and very high temps) but I think I have hit the sweet spot now - man this thing GOES! Couple of teasers:

Nova racing head and aluminium clutch shoes are fitted - the steel spur shown here chewed out the clutch bell so I'm back to the plastic one

I got the worst blisters starting this thing during with the pull start during run in - BIG compression. Changed to the rotostart backing plate that was included in the kit and it was much easier (had to start it with a cordless drill tho)

Charlie thinks it's a bit noisey buy the pipe is pretty quiet

This is Stevo57 driving at less than quarter throttle at the Maitland track

Let me know if you guys want any further info - for mine it is a great kit but it's still early days,

ta

John

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
John,

I for one am really interested in your feedback / review, I would like to know if you ever had the pico or wasp and how it goes compared to that. Have you ever lined it up against other Savages and how does it compare? What gearing have you tried?

Man so many questions... anyways, keep us up to date.

·
Registered
536 Posts
GREAT!!!! Please do a review

skidd hotbodies supply's a 19 t clutch bell with truckzilla so thats what i think jjjrules is runningEdited by: mini-t

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Mate I've been craving an Australian review on truckzilla - keep em comming...

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
That looks sweet. I wouldn't worry about the pullstart, im yet to find an engine that has a quality stock pullstart

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the feedback - I'll definitely do a review but I'd like to get a few more k's under the bonnet first. The gearing is actually a 17 bell and I've used the 48th steel spur and the 49th plastic one. This gearing is suited to the bigger wheel/tyre diameter and I don't think i'd go any lower as I think it could put the drivetrain on shakey ground. Unfortunately I can't compare it to anything - I couldn't wait to build it so I still have the original .26 sitting on my shelf never used in anger. I also have a Thunder Tiger EK4 with the .70 heli engine in it and I think the Truckzilla goes harder (difficult to say tho). I will be getting together with Stevo57 in Sydney soon so I'll let anyone know who's interested in doing a comparison. In the mean time - has anyone ever ridden a GSXR1000? If you have (and I have) it's a lot like that!

ta John

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Yep - the thing flew at a 1/4 throttle in break in mode - Can't wait to see it on an open track at full running conditions!

BTW, the pics look good and obviously highlight my driving ability!...........not bad for a Terra Crusher owner like myself, eh?!

Cheers,

Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts