Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This might be a bit long winded but please bear with me as I would love some on my idea.

I was recently given a Savage X SS 4.6 which was not working. I managed to get it going and have had a few good months of fun and games out of it but the engine appears to be shot.

While I was trying to make my mind up what to do with it my good lady decided that being I work hard I should play hard as well and a couple of days ago bought me a Traxxas Revo 3.3.

I have just completed the run-in + 3 tanks and what a machine it is.

Now to my decision, I have two rev-head daughters that loved driving the Savage but being a bit over protective of my new toy I would like to revive the Savage for them.

Being that I have already made the decision to put a new engine in it I was wondering it it was possible to use a TRX 3.3 to do this, without major modifications. From what I have seen so far it seems to be a great engine and electric starting would make if much easier for the girls to use, they are still young and the pull start that was on the 4.6 was a pain and I like the on-board nature of the ez-start rather that the roto setup.

I would love to hear if anyone has done this before or if there was anything that might cause issues.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I haven't put a 3.3 in a savage but I would suggest getting a better quality engine, the 3.3 goes well (I have a revo) but not normally for a long time & they can be a bit hard to keep the tune right at times, mine only had 7 litre's through it before the compression started dropping off slightly & the rear bearing got a bit of play in it. I don't have a problem tuning engines & had it going well but its the only engine I have had trouble with. Have read about a few people having similar problems & reasonably short lives from them, some ppl also have a long life with them, just not as many.
Anyway, I now have the OS 21tm engine, it cost a little more but its better, it also accepts the easy start setup from the 3.3 as the engine is designed as a direct replacement for the 3.3 in T-Max & Revo.
Another thing to consider is getting an engine that can have a tiger drive roto start set up on it, less hassle's & less weight than the easy start & easy to use as well, would be a better fit as it takes up less room as well.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Aslo, to add to what ozziii said above, the TRX 3.3 engine is a reving engine and not so big on torque. It will struggle pushing the bug Savage around. To make things even worse you n=will need another type of engine mount as the 3.3 is a small block engine and will not fit the Savage's big block mount. Also the crankshaft is the wrong length and will not fit the Savage clutch setup. Exhaust too. 3.3 has a smaller exhaust port so the Savage exhaust header will not even work. Way too much hassle to make it all work.

What I would recommend to you is that you purchase a SH .28 nitro engine and fit that to your Savage. It will be a direct fit into the engine mount and the clutch assembly/flywheel will just carry over from the Savage engine. You can pick up a brand new SH.28 from ebay for under $100 delivered. I know its money you don't want to spend really but it will be the least hassle and probably cheaper in the long run. They are very good engines. In fact SH is OEM manufacturer for lot of other brands out there. Same engines as the SH but with few aesthetic changes and much larger price tags are hailed all over the world but the poor fools don't have a clue that they could buy the same thing at a third of the price. If I were you this is the exact route I would be taking with the Savage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice ozziii and BIG-block, $100 is not much money in order to keep things less complicated, I can always add an EZ-start or Roto Start to it to keep it easy for the girls to use.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Roto start is the way to go mate. I have seen the Traxxas EZ start rigged on many engines but in all honesty they are crap when trying to turn bigger high comp engines. The little motors fry and the plastic gears inside strip. Not ideal. Roto start is usually very tough.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm hooking the easy start up to my ne OS 21tm thats going in my revo, I'm not sure how it will go though as I have read that they sometimes won't even turn the engine over because of the tighter pinch in the sleeve & better compression, I don't think it will last so will be changing to a roto start myself when I can. less electrical gear to stuff up to.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I'm hooking the easy start up to my ne OS 21tm thats going in my revo, I'm not sure how it will go though as I have read that they sometimes won't even turn the engine over because of the tighter pinch in the sleeve & better compression, I don't think it will last so will be changing to a roto start myself when I can. less electrical gear to stuff up to.
You should be fine with the 21TM. Just fit the EZ start after you run the engine in. First few tanks they are very tight but loosen up a little after runing in period. You should be fine if you do that.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
527 Posts
The easy start is the only way I have to start it atm so it will have to go straight on. I will warm the engine with a hair dryer before cranking it over though to make it a little easier & make sure the wand battery is fully charged. Its not that old & doesn't have any wear so might be ok. Looking into a Sullivan tiger drive for it atm & have emailed them to check part compatability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts