Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Was just driving my Savage XL around the street, was doing some pretty sweet speed runs, at first the transmission was working fine, 1st 2nd, 3rd etc but then I took off and it got into second made a really weird sound and went back to first which made the engine stall and almost turn off, I then slowly drove it back to me and all I hear is " ting ting bang ting" then the engine just stopped and rolled back to me but in a weird manor. I looked around the truck, all looked fine so I started her again, gave it some throttle and didn't move... the engine would rev, but the car wouldn't move, I was like **** there goes my clutch but then all of a sudden she took off then nother bang ting etc I was like wtf, turned her off, brang her inside, took the transmission case off and it was just a massacre off gear teeth everywhere.

Not really sure how a transmission works but yeah, I'm missing clunks off teeth from basicly every gear! the only 2 gears that survived was the main spur gear (out side the box) and the one down at the bottom that turns the dog bones.

Truck is only about 4 weeks old, has been run very often, never had a single drama, there was no evidence leading to this at all.

I'm not to good with this stuff but if someone could maybe point me in the right direction that would be great! and if anyone knows why this would of happened would be awesome!

Cheeers!

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Nice work, what do they say again, no point having teeth you dont clean.

All jokes aside, you are up for a full rebuild of the gearbox, or you could just grab a complete one from a stripped Savage XL, I have seen them on ebay from $50~$100 removed from an RTR.

There are many reasons this can happen.

·
Registered
156 Posts
with my 3 speed i destroyed it, then got a new and then this packed it full of grease and now it has lasted so much longer probably had about 20L of run-time with it and still goes good and my driving is pretty dam rough lol

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
It only takes one broken tooth in there to cause havok with the rest of them, that's pretty impressive damage right there!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
It has jamed on a gear change, broken a tooth or 2, which have then jammed up everything and destroyed the lot. Well thats how it looks to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my truck did the same thing but 10x that damage.. and it was the 1st time in shifted into 3rd, the whole gear broke into peices, cracked the plastic housing and so on, new g/box under warrenty, im going to plug all the holes on a 2 speed tranny and half fill with diff oil and see if i can drop its temps, lazer reads 80 degrees on the plastic, can imagin the gears??

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
One fooked gear is all you need and your screwed

I would recommend buying umm like some replacement gears? Lol that would be the right direction I guess

Or as towie mentioned, a pullout from a rtr
And maybe put some extra grease in there

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
savage gearbox

Hey,

Was just driving my Savage XL around the street, was doing some pretty sweet speed runs, at first the transmission was working fine, 1st 2nd, 3rd etc but then I took off and it got into second made a really weird sound and went back to first which made the engine stall and almost turn off, I then slowly drove it back to me and all I hear is " ting ting bang ting" then the engine just stopped and rolled back to me but in a weird manor. I looked around the truck, all looked fine so I started her again, gave it some throttle and didn't move... the engine would rev, but the car wouldn't move, I was like **** there goes my clutch but then all of a sudden she took off then nother bang ting etc I was like wtf, turned her off, brang her inside, took the transmission case off and it was just a massacre off gear teeth everywhere.

Not really sure how a transmission works but yeah, I'm missing clunks off teeth from basicly every gear! the only 2 gears that survived was the main spur gear (out side the box) and the one down at the bottom that turns the dog bones.

Truck is only about 4 weeks old, has been run very often, never had a single drama, there was no evidence leading to this at all.

I'm not to good with this stuff but if someone could maybe point me in the right direction that would be great! and if anyone knows why this would of happened would be awesome!

Cheeers!
my 2 speed did the same, now it has three. i mixed multi perpose greese and 20/50 oil at 50/50 1/4 filled the box (silicone the casings) through the the adjuster gromet. now it works very well with nice gear change after some adjustments. try to avoid prolonged flatout runs on roads as it will build up alot of heat in the bearings and alow vibration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts