Australian RC Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Luke, The Tamiya Trucks are a money pit, there are so many hop ups and extras you can buy....there just seems no end to it....I love it : )

and I have been corrupted by another member on here...now I want to build a 'B' Double, or a Road Train, I bet you cant guess who is responsible for that : )

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
i know, even more so than any other RC's

I was eyeing off a knight hauler at one stage, all the little extras add up but they make it soo much nicer!

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You cant stop at just a Prime mover though...

You also need...

At least one good trailer
Motorized Support Legs
Trailer Lights
Under Cab lights
MFU-01 Multi function unit
Alloy Wheels (these come in axle groups, so a truck takes 3 axles worth of wheels, and then 2 or 3 more sets per trailer)
Good 4 channel radio with manual trims to enable all the extra functions
Descent Batteries, cause they chew them up like tic tacs when running the multi function set up
The Animal Guard/Bull Bar
A dolly for running road train (for each trailer)

You could easily spend several thousand dollars setting up a tiny fleet, with just the one Prime Mover and a couple of trailers....the bonus....the assembly of all this gear takes literally hours and hours to do, so you really get your money's worth in the build alone, then you just have to convince all in the household, that....It is totally necessary to have all the internal house lights out every night, while you practice hitching/unhitching the trailer, and negotiating all the corners in the house....wouldnt want to scratch a wall turning a corner, and the lights make it so much more realistic when operating the truck : )

·
Registered
282 Posts
You realise that this now requires a vid! and some pic's of that bullbar on the front of a honcho or something similar.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Need barnyard animals in 1/14 scale first....so I can plough through them with the Prime Movers Horn Blasting, as I barrel them all in a completely uncaring manner : )

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The Last of the bits and pieces have arrived....Yes...Finally...the Alloy Wheels are here.

They are heavier than the original plastics, and not being a fan of Plastic chrome, they look a heap better to me.

First thing to do was inspect all and remove the centre caps...these cover the wheel nut and give a more scale look to the wheels.

After making sure everything was OK, it was time to fit up the tyres, all 10 of them, I have decided not to glue them at this stage, and will see how they hold to the wheels without the glue, obviously, if they start coming off rims, I will have to glue them, but for now, I am keeping the option as a last resort.

The difference is night and day, this is one of the old fronts (glued) beside a new alloy with new tyre installed (unglued)

I took all the old wheels off and that's when I discovered the next little set back...the original builder used the supplied kit bushings instead of bearings for the wheels, off I went searching my spares boxes.....3 bearings was it...bugger....5 more bearings later, all the wheels were assembled and installed.

The wheels look much more to scale with the centres capped, hiding the nyloc wheel nuts

I have also found some more offroad looking rear drive tyres in the US, but have opted for now just to run the highway tyres...if they dont grip up enough, I just may have to send away for the others.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
They look great Pete. Really nice. I can see what you mean about the plastic chrome, it just looks black by comparison to the alloy. Real alloy is more scale realistic anyway :)
You know you're gunna get those tyres anyway...even if you don't need them, lol. My dad had set of real Luggy tyres on the back of his tipper (full size not rc, lol), he said the difference in grip was unbelievable, he could power up a muddy slope while the guys with highway tyres just wheelspun.
Get them and you re enact all the scenes from that new show outback truckers, lol.

·
Registered
282 Posts
lookin good pete but you really need to make/get a bumper that fit's better with bullbar imo.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The bull bar, is not a perfect fit, but all that is available for the Knight Hauler, I may have to look into something custom to get a better fit

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
since your garage is soo full, when your done send it down my way and I'll make some space :)

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looking great Towie
now i want one

Hmmm.....sorry about that.....your gonna love it......and the best bit....the truck has right of way no matter where it travels in the house, lift ya feet up boys and girls, the truck needs the room to turn...he he he

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Luke, save yourself! Lol!

Towie, they could get as expensive as a fully blinged up baja! Problem is, where do you stop? Lol. Ive put mine in the display cabinet but that "person" your talking about made me look at my truck in a...dirty, but good way. Now ive got all sorts of ideas what to do with mine but, damn its going to take a long, long, long, long time to make it!

Truck is looking good! Bastard, now there are three "people" on here that make me want to molest my truck again! Lol! First one is rcroad train!

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Sorry Steph, looks like you and I are gonna be stuck in that Naughty Corner for a while yet my friend.

By the way...did you see the 9 speed box available for these trucks, apparently they can change gears on the fly in 3 different ranges...how sweet is that, you could actually have it going through all 9 gears from a standing stop to full speed, just like the real deal, at least thats how I understand it.

And Bloody RC Roadtrain....where do I start.....2 words....B+Double....what are you doing to me, I need a bigger shelf : ) I can hear my wallet trying to find somewhere to hide before it gets brutalized yet again

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looking great Towie
now i want one

WOO HOO Towie I got one
Mozza got me the aeromax for xmas but I have already opened the box and started drooling over the instructions

And so it starts HEHE tonight I ordered the alloy wheels and full bearing set and a pole trailer kit not to sure about the bulbar
did you ever get the scale livestock

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Congrats mate....you will love the build, it will take a long time but worth it, and a load of fun too

Never did get around to grabbing the livestock...should try and get it soon

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.