Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a slightly used 1/14 scale Tamiya Knight Hauler yesterday.

Guy was looking to offload it to fund other projects.

Fully Built and painted, fitted with the Multi-Finction Unit, and a battery

I think my passion for 1/14 scale has been re-ignited, plus my other truck was getting lonely and wanted a playmate.

So I guess I should start with the first Truck I built, an R470 Scania Special Metallic Edition, what a PITA to keep clean, completely un-photogenic, it is really hard to get a descent pic of this one...

And the new one, a Knight Hauler, still 1/14 scale but with Bogie Drive and a conventional look with it's long nose and Chrome everywhere

A fairly imposing truck to look, it is so much longer then the Scania

the length difference is huge

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple more pickies

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one mate..
Figures it would come up only days after I picked up a new Multi-Function unit to install in the Scania, plus a set of motorized legs for the trailer.

My dining room table looks like a Truck Stop, wire as far as the eye can see, bits and pieces everywhere, for some reason, Tamiya double up on a lot of parts, the multi and the Motorized legs sets both come with the Hitch, and from memory, I think the truck kit also comes with the plates to fit the leg controls to the chassis of the truck, so I am getting a few spares.

The Leg kit, replaces the originals completely, so I now have a complete set of legs that are no longer needed....argghh...I can see yet another container of unused spare parts coming

The Leg kit is great, chinglish instructions, straight from Tamiya....pickies everywhere and not a lot of real time instructions, I ended up pulling them apart 3 times due to the lack of necessary alignment details, the micro switches are generic in relation to their orientation, so either can be fitted to any side, but will only work properly when installed a certain way, and then there is the release hitch....if not greased enough, it wont return to it's home position, you can guess how happy I was to pull it apart a third time, just to add a touch more grease, which I might add still wasnt enough....lets pull it apart just one more time....I guess.

I wonder if it will wear in. The battery holder doesnt fit either, the instructions show it in one complete line, but in reality, the screws for the wedges stop it fitting and it needs to be pulled into 2 seperate units and held in half on each rail.

Apart from that it works great.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I dont need one!!

I love the look of the knight hauler! - one day, maybe once i'm reincarnated!

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys

I am prety impressed withthe Knight Hauler, been looking at some Alloy Wheels for it this morning....OMG...here we go again....I need to be sent to the Naughty Corner with Steph and his wallet : )

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Stop now towie! Stop now! Put the bank card away!

I used to drool on the trucks and just bought one. Seanno, you know you have a bit more room in there for one of these.

Looks pretty good towie. Topcad sells the whole set and i bought mine from rcmart. You can get the polished wheels, i think kev bought a set?

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bank Card...OMG I am way past that...I reckon at least one of the Hobby Companies has dibs on half my vital organs : )

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could even redrawn on the home loan.

Fortunately I am not able to do that....phew...dodged a bullet there : )

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I was thinking....OMG...here it goes again....

How cool would this look with a nice big polished Bull Bar/Animal Guard (ORDERED) and some nice alloy wheels(ORDERED)

Now the waiting begins.

I have the wheels coming from one place, the bar coming from another, and a set of Trailer lights to suit the multi-Function unit from yet another.

Still need to finish setting up the Motorized legs, I have them all fitted up, but need to do the modification to the rear of the Truck itself, new Hitch, new switch, and the frame to hold it all needs to be mounted, as well as a servo, micro switch and a little more wiring.

Also need to make a little mod to the trigger switch on the trailer, the return arm that cuts the motorized out once they have fully extended or retracted is very stiff even with the grease in it, I am thinking a nice stiff little spring may be needed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice looking rig, you can get all the topcad stuff from
Asiatees.com . Not to badly priced, ive got some stuff coming from there for my crawlers.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Update

Well the upgrades and accessories are beginning to arrive...at last

First Up...

The Animal Guard or as we in Australia know it....The BullBar

Pretty easy to assemble, and looks good, finish to the bars is nice and clean looking, simple design with a very easy assmble proceedure, just tip out everything on the table and go for it.

Well not quite, you need to assemble the centre section first, otherwise you can get a couple of the screws in position to secure it correctly. I layed the entire unit out, and quickly noticed the flaw in the instructions, they dont actually mention the order in which to proceed, lucky I have assembled other parts made by Tamiya before, so I was already aware of the lack of assembly details...
Anyway here are a couple of pickies..

contents of the box, all packaged in seperate little bags

The assembly instructions...yep that is it, one page about the size of a small note pad, note, the lack of direction, Install the centre section first, as once it is screwed together, you cant access the centre bars properly to tighten the middle screws

Do this bit first

All up about 15 minutes and it is ready to install on the truck, the bar uses the original bar screws, they are a few mm short.

Before...

After

Look out plastic cows....your time is coming : )

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Looks good mate.
For some reason I can really picture you setting up some plastic cows and just plowing this truck into them with manic laughter. Lol :p

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Dave, yeah the thought has crossed my mind, I saw a plastic pig the other day, and just got an evil smile as those exact scenarios played in my head : )

Still to come...

*Trailer Lights
*Alloy Wheels
*modification to existing lights
*Motorized Trailer Legs (fitted)

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tamiya Motorized Support Legs (Trailer)

Not exactly a 5 minute job, but fun to do, and works a treat when set up properly on a 4 channel radio

The old manual legs need to be removed completely, and a complete new set are built, these new legs incorporate all the motor and gearing segments, the kit also adds a new Hitch with micro switches and Hitch for the truck (5th Wheel)

Once again, Tamiya have outdone themselves, with little to no proper instructions for assembly, just a few basic pickies in grey scale and super imposed pickies of the parts that are reused.

A lot is left to experimentation, but it is reasonable easy to figure out, once you start pulling bits apart and trial fitting everything

old hitch

more pickies to come....once I work out what happened to them

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I love this build!!!

one day I will grab one!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.