Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen nitros with 2 speeds...when the motor runs fast enough the clutch thing releases and clicks into 2nd gear...so if a nitro goes 70kph stock, what would a 2 speed do for each gear and max speed?

soi want tomod a 2 speed into my tl01...

hmm...i was studying the shaft layout and thought it would work for my car if i cut bits and pieces of of the tl01 rear gearbox/motor pinion area and mount the 2 speed...i think the spur gear shaft would need to be slightly longer...and more space cut out to support the movement from the 2 speeds...so err...

so what do you people think? is it possible?

·
Registered
596 Posts
2 speeds in nitros are not used for higher topspeed but infact for faster accelaration. My nitro rally is no faster with a 2 speed as it is single speed. only accelaration improves.

HPI did make a 2 speed for thier electric rally but the shift point was inconsistent and it was not possible to shift as the battery went down. to be honest you are not going to need one with a brushless as you have speeds already. ie throttle on and throttle off

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
jiggen5354 said:
2 speeds in nitros are not used for higher topspeed but infact for faster accelaration. My nitro rally is no faster with a 2 speed as it is single speed. only accelaration improves.

When I owned a 1/10 nitro tourer, the 2 speed improved both. 1st was lower, and second was higher gearing than stock.

Regards,

Chris

G

·
yes, you can set up for a higher gearing, i remeber a guy useing a
2speen touring car, and i had go off it, and you could really tell when
it hit 2nd gear...the arse end bobed down and it was like a 50% speed
up easy.....

but for a electric...nope, brushless should be plenty. just wait till you twist the inside of the rims

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
We had 2-speed centrifugal clutch gearboxes in Electric as early as 1986... came in the shape of a 1/10 PB Mini Mustang!!

One big drawback though... NO BRAKES!

(2-spd uses a one-way bearing so there's only drive in one direction, motor can't provide braking. Not a problem on nitros as they don't use engine braking.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts