Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok its last years model...So what!!


I have been given the chance to purchase a nib rtr tt ek4 for the "measly" sum of 1100 bucks.


Now the question stands as to the durability of these trucks..


the overall performance(must b allright MASSIVE .70 engine)


How about hop up parts/spare parts?


As for the other options: bodys, suspension upgrades etc...


Any help you all can give me will be much appreciated





If anybody has any ne that is.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
OK, the truck without Radio Gear is 529US from Tower. Add 95US shipping, subtract 25US discount, add $150US for Radio Gear (this is more than you probably need).


529 + 95 + 150 - 25 = $749US = $985 Aussie.


If yo could get it for $1000 it is a better buy, $1100 is still a bit expensive. Just remember that those .70s are propably only mid 2s in HP, and only rev to about 18,000rpm. Torque is huge so gearing is everything.


Have you got good parts availablity?


I will try and track down some reviews.


Regards,


AUSRC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
I think I race against one of these things at PDNR (off-road cars on tarmac is interesting).

Its bloody quick - OK, the driver is better than me, but he's doing at least3 laps more (21 to my 18) and has a fastest lap 1 second better than mine (15 Vs 16seconds). I don't know if his buggy has a 0.70 engine but that could account for the 1 second speed improvement.

I've just tweaked my suspension so if racing is any closer, I'll let you know. :)

Cheers! Oggy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Hi can anybody tell me anything (good or bad) about the thunder tiger EK4 S2 as have been offered one . Are they any good and are parts easy to get in AUS.
 

·
AUSRC Moderator
Joined
·
6,275 Posts
Merged topic with existing topic.


Personally I like the idea of them, but I think all the parts will come from OS... not sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Well, I don't know if my post was stuffed before, but I actually meant the EB4 buggy, not the EK4 truck.

As it turns out I had also raced against an Ek4. It was the one to watch out for. I saw a buggy catch it on the straight and the buggy got launched almost 2 meters high and 4 meters long!

The EK4 is still at the track and does have the .70 engine. It pulls wheelies up the full length of the straight, or at least it does when the engine is running OK. Lately it's been stalling lots and lots (ie: lucky to complete a lap) but the driver did get an award for the best crowd pleaser at our presentation night this week.

I've seen it with it's fair share of broken parts. It's got LOTS of weight behind it, so hit something solid and cross your fingers that nothing breaks.

Obviously with one at my track there must be parts available somewhere in Sydney at least.

Cheers, Oggy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
man what would you do with such a huge engine. whats the petrol
consumption per 100m
, how much more does it drink per 20mins, can it
do a 160cc tank for 20mins or would it be more like 10mins?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Ive got one of these beast and they kik ass. Parts no problem from kellets. Early ones had there problems but the latest ones are good. Diffs can be a weak point, I have alloy diff cases but there hard to get now. Put a two speed in it there ballistic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
I personally dont like the truck, you will need to buy ten bottles of lock tight to keep the thing together its rattles every bolt loose so if you get it lock tight everything.


The disturbutor for TT is Kellets Hobbies in Liverpool Sydney, they are also retailers hence why alot of LHS dont carry it because the disturbutor can always beat the price.


If Kellets dont have the TT parts no one will. I would go with traxxas, hpi or losi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
What RC cars do you own personally Fred? We know you have a Revo, anything else you own?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
I own a savage only personally, but we have store cars like t-maxx, revo, lst and tc3 & yokomo.


Myself and other partner uses them some of our workers use them as well, i blew my savage diff for the first time today only took 1 year and month to blow my first savage diff hehehe i post video of my savage shortly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
if your after parts i no a good guy to get ek4 parts i dont think his site is open for all atm but keep a eye on this page www.raneye.com.auin the next few weeks i can say that there is a pretty good part list for ek4(impretty sure if ya need parts on the list hemight b able 2 get em 4 ya )also a growing range of other trucks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
RC HOBBIES said:
... i blew my savage diff for the first time today only took 1 year
and month to blow my first savage diff hehehe i post video of my savage
shortly.


U joking. I blew both my diffs(front and rear)...a few days ago doing
WOT passes in teh SH .28. Actually the front diff is all crunched up,
tires are locked, the rear is free wheeling. 3rd diff replacements in
nearly 4 gallons.



What diff cases you using Fred? Stock plastic with 4 spider diff mod?



MnB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Mine are the stock plastic ones that i got with the truck not upgraded yet, only reason they went bye bye was i was flying on the road and the truck rolled and snapped in half, i was like killing myself laughing i drove the front half of the truck back to me and retrieved the rear, somehow a few screws got loose and it gave way. No major damage, execept rear diff blown, servo horn damaged and missing a few screws. I got a video of it apart, i have to host it on website and post it shortly.


I think i will tear here down completely now and fully upgraded all the gear i was waiting for the 3 speed, so i guess i leave it apart till then.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
RC HOBBIES said:
I personally dont like the truck, you will need to buy ten bottles of lock tight to keep the thing together its rattles every bolt loose so if you get it lock tight everything.


The disturbutor for TT is Kellets Hobbies in Liverpool Sydney, they are also retailers hence why alot of LHS dont carry it because the disturbutor can always beat the price.


If Kellets dont have the TT parts no one will. I would go with traxxas, hpi or losi.

Any nitro truck needs loctite, and I didn't need 10 bottles to do my EK4. Kellets have had every stock part I've ever needed in stock at what I thought were reasonable prices. Traxxas, hpi and losi dont make trucks with a 70 so if you want to experience brute torque get the EK4!I think they have a bit of a cult following.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
The EK4 is nothing special, its has a .70 motor in it big deal, that all it has. At least with the other truck they have something else that attracts the buyer.


EK4 have got alot of hype, for every lover of an ek4 ive seen plenty of people who hate them.


Each to their own i guess.


Give me a revo, savage or lst anyday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
haha i think we have a hater here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
I couldn't handle the power or the fuel bills, the slow handling and top heavy design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,732 Posts
RC HOBBIES said:
Mine are the stock plastic ones that i got with
the truck not upgraded yet, only reason they went bye bye was i was
flying on the road and the truck rolled and snapped in half, i was like
killing myself laughing i drove the front half of the truck back to me
and retrieved the rear, somehow a few screws got loose and it gave
way. No major damage, execept rear diff blown, servo horn damaged
and missing a few screws. I got a video of it apart, i have to
host it on website and post it shortly.


I think i will tear here down completely now and fully upgraded all
the gear i was waiting for the 3 speed, so i guess i leave it apart
till then.


can you explain how you manage to snap a savage in half and still get
power from the rear mounted engine to the front wheels? and id dare say
if you manage to snap it in half, you're going to have done a fair bit
of damage to the tvps, tranny, radio box, and possibly other parts.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top