Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction.

WellI finally Got My Parts, And Decided ToGet The Throttle / Break Mod Underway. WellI Have Now Finished It And Here IsA Step By Step On How To Complete The Relatively Easy Mod, Along withh WhatI Think Of It Either Later Tonight Or Tomorrow Morning AsI Havent Tested It Yet.

Step 1. Gather Parts.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBM06&P=7

Step 2.

Remove Servo Saver, "C" Clip And Stock Linkage Wire By Removing The Screw On Top Of The Throttle / Break Servo.

Step 3.

Drill Hole In Break Arm, Correct Size Is Already Marked In The Arm. Once Hole Is Drilled, Push Black Screw From Kit Through The Bottom Of The Arm, Attach Blue Piece And Then Put Included Screw Onto Bolt To Hold It In Place.

This Picture, Posted By CRSMP5, Shows The Screw In And The Screw Head Is On The Top, I Did It The Opposite Way And Found No Problems.

Step 4. Assemble Throttle Rod, withh Parts.

In Order From Left To Right Of Top Rod (Throttle)

Aluminimum Thing W/ Set Screw ; Spring ; Blue Thing ; Aluminimum Thing W/ Set Screw ; Rod (Behind Roll Bar); Ball End ; Ball (Underneath)

All That Is Required Is To Slightly Bend The Throttle Rod As To A Similar Shape As Stock Rod.

Step 5.

Assemble Break Rod, withh Parts.

(As Shown In The Above Picture) Aluminimum Thingy W/ Set Screw, Spring, Break Arm, Aluminimum Thingy W/ Set Screw

Breaks Are Tightened/Loosened To Users Preferance.

Step 6.

Adjusting The Position Of Break Arm As To Allow Proper Usage.

As To Have The Break Arm Set Correctly And Avoid Either A Slow Run Away Or Shutting Off From Throttle Closed Too Much, Adjust As Needed By Not Screwing In The Screw That Connects Into The Servo. Adjust As Needed.

Conclusion.

This Mod Is Fairly Simple, Takes About 15 Minutes To Set Up And A Bit To Adjust Which Is Quite Easy

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
SG,

Just a quick note - your linkage adjustment should have nothing to do withh shutying the engine down. The Idle Adjustment screw should always hold the carb open enough for idle.

I have done this mod myself, and it is really worth while. The stock servo saver is weak, and struggles against the Throttle Return Spring. The brakes will actually now work as well.

It's a great mod.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AUSRC, i think i had the break arm a little too much to the left so instead of letting it open a little, it fully closed the throttle and made it quit

never did that before, anyway im gonna test it more tomorrow morning since ive only run it in the garage, and out the back and altogether for 5 minutes or so probably less

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
SG,

If that happened, you really need to check you Idle Screw, because irrespective of where you had those linkages, it should be impossible to close the carb if the Idle screw is set right.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, well im not worried about it since once its heated up to stays running so its all good

i was a little nervious before i bought the parts about doin the mod but it was incredibally easy

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
SG,

No probs, just thought I would mention it.

It is a great mod, and for the cost of the parts, and easy of install, everyone withh a Savage should do it.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i totally agree, it is about $10 AUS to complete and takes about 20 minutes

it also makes the truck non stock, better looking and performingfor that section of the truck and also makes you able to say "Hey, ive done the throttle / break mod woohoo"

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi SG,

Sorry to hijack your thread, I just wanted to show some slight changes I made to the throttle/break linkage set up that I have made to my Truck.

I found that replacing the standard HPI servo horn withh a HD nylon OFNA horn and using OFNA pivot links for both the throttle and brake gives even smoother operation and better range of adjustment.

Have a look here.....

G

·
my savage will be coming in a couple of weeks and like to know which mods i should do that are most important.

Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have a look at my post that has all the break in and mod tips for a new Savage, this maybe helpful to you.

Cheers,
Shaun.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well I've finallyfinished my throttle/brake linkage. Thethrottle will now open (and shut) 100% and the brakes are fantastic!Here is a shot of the modification completed.

Jerrah.
Edited by: jerrah

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Nice work Jerrah, looks sweet!

I liked this topic and think more mods should be explaned like this. Has anyone got pics of the steering mod in construction? (or which one it is on Tower even, I must be dumb cos I can't find it...)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Here are some of mine.... same thing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts