Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2nd hand Traxxas Slash 4x4 about a week ago. It's been great. Kids love it too, especially the training mode.
So, I took it down to the Redcliffe beach this morning, stupidly took it on the sand, and bloody got it wet. About a minute later the throttle died.
Servo still works, ESC fan still runs. But I have to disconnect the battery to turn the thing off and when I turn it on there's no green light.
And then i googled replacement motor/ESC combos for the car (I don't know if its the ESC or the motor that's bust) and Traxxas doesn't miss you do they? Cheapest is $210 with a 2-4 week wait time from the US.
I know I can pick up combos like this - ebay link - but I really need that training mode. And I'm wary of the quality.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Velineon brushless ESC should be waterproof, if its got a blue case?

Bought Slash 4X4 when they first came out, had great fun splashing thru puddles in the rain by the beach etc etc... stock electronics survived fine, lipo batts could be weakest link (i'm told they don't like being submerged in brine).

However after everytime you get it wet immediately afterwards everything's gotta be properly cleaned of salt & dried, so that's a full teardown and rebuild. Otherwise every steel bit starts rusting and all the bearings seize, including the motor!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it into the shop and they found a host of issues - soldering was dodgy, bearings were shot and so on. but they couldn't get the ESC to work properly. So I've switched to a Hobbywing SC8.

Next on the agenda is replacing the rear drive shafts.

I'm never going on the beach again. Its not worth the clean up. I'm tempted to get one of those shrouds to keep grass clipping and dirt out of the chassis too.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
yeah it's a hassle to clean, can't simply be put away damp. If you're staying at the beach a few nights then end of each day I'd rinse with freshwater then WD40 every bearing; but once home it's full teardown & rebuild. Half the bearings would be junk & need replacing anyway.

If you're hitched to an endless supply of ripped pantyhose... rescue some from her bin & cut a leg off, about 2'. Chop foot off. Fold it over itself leaving you with a 1' tube... slip that over the chassis :D sometimes it helps to unbolt the rear end off the chassis first, it's only a few screws 5min job.

Keeps fair bit of dirt out whilst still letting cooling air thru, plus price is right. I ain't paying $50 for some fancy molded piece of plastic just to cover chassis :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took it into the shop and they found a host of issues - soldering was dodgy, bearings were shot and so on. but they couldn't get the ESC to work properly. So I've switched to a Hobbywing SC8.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts