Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep another xmas victim. My wife the lovely soul that she is decided i now need to spend my money on my RC buggy :D (1/8th thunder tiger eb4 s2 pro) So after my first weekend with my buggy tuned and broken in I have noticed 2 things.
1) I love this sport... (if golf is a sport this has to be too right?) So whats next... can I take my stock generic buggy to a track (is there nitro tracks in sydney) or would I just be better off bashing around my street/park by myself until I can convince the neighbours to get one too?
2) I'm gonna need spares... lol first weekend and i got a busted fuel tank, lost a wheel nut and an engine mounting hex bolt. So I'm just curious... Do you have a spares box on hand? What parts will i need to replace often enough that it would be worthwhile pre-purchasing or should I just order as I need em. I was thinking a tackle box filled with spares might not be a bad idea but could be just a waste of money. Does anyone do this? Is it worth the money to keep things on hand? any opinions would be great.

So yeah I'll be around as I'm sure theres much to learn about my latest money sink. :cool:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi mate, welcome to the forum :)

I've had an EB4 for three years now, and my son now drives it. The things I found break somewhat easy is the front knuckle where it connects to the steering linkage. Although in saying that, it's probably been 19 litres or so since he broke one. They are pretty cheap so carrying a few spare is good.

Also keep a spare servo saver as these can break with a bad landing or a front on knock. He drives pretty good these days my son, but these things breaking are pretty cheap and easy to replace, and I suppose they save the servo from breaking. His car now still runs the stock ACE servos in it, and there still running like new.

Keeping spares is always wise as they help in not making your day of fun end early. Keep glow plugs, the knuckles, some wheel nuts, a bit of loctite and the tools. If you can buy a screw kit, they help too.

You shouldn't need a massive box with these cars, as they are tough, and I've never replaced anything big on it so it's been cheap to keep.

You may also find the stock pull starter might break pretty quickly. That could be due to not knowing how hard to pull as it's your first car, or in my case, 3 dodgy pull starts later, threw that idea away and put a backplate on the motor with and use a starter box :)

Have fun, enjoy, and yell out if you need more help.

Mark.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi there,
Welcome first of all! :D
I Don't have this particular car but in my experience... It is wise to keep spares on hand for the ''just in case'' or the ''I'm gonna see how fast I can hit that wall moment'' lol
But spares I generally keep are not so much body towers etc but...
Servo's + savers
Glow plugs
Screws + nuts and bolts
Glue loctite
Wheels as you never know if your gonna wear them out with a dodgy camber etc
Clips and pins
Wire + switches
Battery's
The dog bones for the axles
Just general bits and pieces... my spares box probably hasn't cost me much more then $200-300 but it's well worth it :)
And that is with good quality parts so don't hesitate to keep a few spare on hand deffinately saves your fun from being ended.

Cheers Brendan!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Spares? Buy what you have broken is my advice. Every body drives differently and breaks different parts. I say get the Tackle/Tool box and fill it with quality tools first of all. Also make sure you get some Loctite. Stick with the blue one as the green and red are a nightmare to undo after. Also make sure you have after run oil in there too. Things that every nitro owner needs to keep on hand are things like Glow plugs, fuel line, exhaust seals/springs, spare air filter elements (don't forget filter oil),clutch shoes and a pull start is one of those things that go pretty often.... Basically things like that. Buying spare parts based on what other people have broken might just end up being a waste of money.

Also another thing I recommend is get to know your buggy well. No, not over a diner and a movie, but read the instructions and have a good look through the exploded views of it. Soon your diffs are going to need new oil and grease change, you will need a new set of clutch shoes or something like that. Don't go wasting your money at the hobby shops for simple repairs/maintenance. Learn how to do it your self. Trust me, you will enjoy the hobby even more if you follow that advice. Once you start tinkering and modifying your rig you will be hooked. Also spend a few hours on the net doing as much research as you can. It always helps to see what other people are doing to their RCs.

Anyway mate congratz on your present and hope you enjoy the hobby for long time to come. Welcome to the forum.:thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just joined today
i am not liking the looks of the idea of my purchase of the EB4 S3.
looks like i have a lot to buy before i get it next week.
joys of being in the sticks having to wait lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.