Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“The Fleetwing” Topsail Schooner (circa 1860)

Hand built, eighteen months to completion in 1990 by my father. Crafted from Queensland Maple and Red Cedar this was built to sail (3 channel radio required) based on the “The Fleetwing” which was one of three schooners that competed in the very first Transatlantic Ocean Race in 1866 that begun on the 11th of December and finished on the 23rd of December.

“The Fleetwing“ could travel as fast as 15 knots and covered 277 miles in a 24 hour period during the race, eight crew members were washed off deck with five never to be seen again during this first ocean race.

“The Fleetwing” now rests at the bottom of Lake Michigan, Wisconsin near “Porte des Morts” after sinking whilst transporting lumber on the 24th of September 1888.

This is a one of a kind and if you would like to to view it you are more than welcome to do so from 8:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday at my place of work in Brendale, Qld.

I do have this item on eBay but I am willing to sell to a forum member and will consider offers over $1000. Pickup is essential (masts collapse).

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts