Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the Buggy i found, it is a pretty sad condition but not beyond repair, it is very heavy and has lame shocks and extreme toe out at the rear, here are the pics

G

·
are you planning on selling it??

whats the car in the background, looks like an old pan car!, 1/12 maybe,

if your interested in selling it, drop me a line...

cheers

nismo

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
I guess this is the best topic to ask this question in...

Anyone have any idea where I might get a Tamiya Frog body? Are they likely to be hard to find? The condition doesn't matter, it's just for my little daughter to play with.

Sir Zoomer... any hints??

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Skidd said:
Anyone have any idea where I might get a Tamiya Frog body? Are they likely to be hard to find? The condition doesn't matter, it's just for my little daughter to play with.

'fraid not. Originals can go for US$150 or better these days.

Nothing else fits due to Frog's wierd mounting system and all the companies making 'compatible/alternative' Frog shells have long stopped production.

Tried modern lexan shells for Hornet etc, they all don't fit without a serious lot of work - in which case can just as easily fit any buggy shell on.

(Have Frog/Brat/Lancia chassises all naked waiting for shells too but I'm just too cheap/poor to bid high on eBay these days -There's a fine line between expensive and total lunacy.)

There's a TamiyaClub fella who I think makes repro Frog shells in the UK or Euro; I've been too chicken to ask how much shipping would be. Probably won't be much change from A$100.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.... I'm not particularly interested in spending too much on it as I don't really want to take the car back to original or anything. When I was a teenager I took the original body off it and put a plastic 'A Team' van body on it... I thought it looked cool. I know I've got the original around somewhere but the effort to find it would kill me.

All this is for is so that I can give my little 4 y.o. daughter a car to learn with... and I just happen to still have this laying around.

Oh well... I might even just put the old van body back onto it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
With the rate those things go through (now rare) gearboxs and diffs
you may be wise to buy a new superhornet or something like that for
her to play rather than risk wreck a hard to repair "classic"

Im on the look for a Fox and/or Avante (original, not 2001) for
nostagia reasons (shelf queens) if anyone knows of any...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Honestly, I'd just go score the $2 shops and see what kind of plastic toy car/truck/vanyou can find, something 12-15" long that can donate its body.

As for me leftovers bin... have accumulated front clips of Frog and gearboxes of Grasshopper (the indestructable parts of each model)... you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'??

(yeah, to-do item #145 on the list)

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Im thinking Skidd is using his daughter as an excuse to get another R/C even if it is electric

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
husky said:
Im thinking Skidd is using his daughter as an excuse to get another R/C even if it is electric

Hey NOT true!! And even if it was true, I'm sure that she could beat Savage SS with it on a straight line drag race.

It honestly was something I just dragged out of the cupboard for her... Still has the original Tamiya NiCad battery in it (not at all like the modern ones) and even the old factory TX works fine... I have been using the crystals in my savvy to avoid the freq conflict with SS.

I like Zoomers idea of getting a plastic toy to use the body from... that way I can get a nice Chevy pick up to shell to put on it... might have to try and find an Avalanche.
Edited by: Skidd

·
Registered
660 Posts
whatever u reckon??????? my car needs a good tune next time will we see. maybe u snap something and i can stall and roll past u

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Skidd said:
I like Zoomers idea of getting a plastic toy to use the body from... that way I can get a nice Chevy pick up to shell to put on it... might have to try and find an Avalanche.

given its for your daughter I guess daddy would be visiting the toy store seeing what's Barbie's latest ride eh? In macho hot pink...

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
zoomer said:
Skidd said:

given its for your daughter I guess daddy would be visiting the toy store seeing what's Barbie's latest ride eh? In macho hot pink...

LOL... she already has 'Barbie's latest ride'... bloody thing cost me more than my Savage... then I had to buy the boy version as well, 'cos we all know it ain't a garage unless there are 2 cars in it. The boy version is the police special with bigger 4X4 rims and a police light bar on the hood.

I'll have to take some pics to post... they are awesome toys, I just have to resist the temptation to mod them.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Skidd said:
zoomer said:
LOL... she already has 'Barbie's latest ride'... bloody thing cost me more than my Savage... then I had to buy the boy version as well, 'cos we all know it ain't a garage unless there are 2 cars in it. The boy version is the police special with bigger 4X4 rims and a police light bar on the hood.

what?? she dumps Ken and shacks up with the Village People??!

Yeah have had visions of RC'ing Barbie's 355 Ferrari too... or that pink campervan ya!!

But nah, not enough challenge in that.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Well I was quite surprised when my 4 y.o. daughter actually got the jist of working the old genuine stick controller pretty well. She was a bit annoyed that the old frog couldn't lug it's new body up and over the jumps at the BMX track.

Looks like I may have to get her an Emaxx to keep her happy... Dayum!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
That is a sad sad sad sad pink blob of a Miata wannabe...

re Frog. You might want to find something that works like the motor plate on a Blackfoot.

It offsets the motor about 5mm lower so you can use a smaller pinion (10t) and ditch the stock 18t one. The 540 will give much more torque - it'll climb walls.

Might not be hard to jig up something yourself even. A disc of ally or steel, 2 sets of holes and a big hole in the middle to clear the motor shaft & bearing.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
But mate if I do that then I won't have an excuse to buy the Tmaxx!!

Actually, I'm not sure the batts are any good. I'm still using the original 15... maybe 20 year old Tamiya sealed NiCad unit. It doesn't seem to get up any speed. Of course I don't even remember how fast it USED to go.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts