Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am seriously considering buying a Tamiya TLT-1, and have a couple of questions for all of the Electric Gurus.

The TLT-1 uses standard 540 motors and I need to buy an ESC. Any recommendations? I have a Novak Spy in my Micro RS4 and it does a great job, but for 540 sized motors there are so many to choose from. I would also like reverse.

Secondly, I am 90% convinced this would be a good thing, particularly for my 9 and 7 year old, but has anyone seen any stand out reviews on this little beastie. I need that final push over the edge.

Thanks in advance,

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy crap - I just realised that it doesn't actually come with a motor... these numbers are starting to add up.

$145 - Kit
$ 60 - 2 x Battery Packs
$ 32 - Bearing Upgrades
$235 - Novak Super Sport Brushless System (Motor and ESC)
$ 50 - R133F FM Receiver (So I can used my current radio gear)

$522 - Total in USD, so about $710 Aussie.

Now I know I can buy a cheaper Standard 540 sized motor and ESC... but even so - I could buy another Savage.

This idea may have just been shelved......

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
$145??? Where's that from, Chris?

Have been watching them at $200... and busy saving up...

Novak BL is probably overkill for the little thing... any decent ESC and a mild-mod would be sufficient - especially if kiddies will be hacking the thing.

G

·
brushless overkill allright..

bearings, you could get cheaper if you dont buy the proper tamiya ones...

and you could make your own battery pack if you know how to solder...

Nismo

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zoomer said:
$145??? Where's that from, Chris?

Zoomer,

That is US pricing from Tower. I haven't started looking locally yet - I get my benchmark price from there and then go shopping.

You will have to excuse me I am a real novice in this electric space. A mild mod motor would be something like what? What sort of ESC would I then get?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nismospeed said:
brushless overkill allright..

All the reviews that Jerrah posted typically used this combo - so I thought - "What the Hell" until I saw the price.

As for batteries - yeah I could make my own. I did for the Micro RS4.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
561 Posts
After seeing the TLT 1 on the Crash and Bash 20 video its tempting to
get a TLT 1, but after watching that video its also tempting to get an
EK4 ! You would swear that the driver forgets he has a car with a
helicopter motor in it, he just thinks its a helicopter the way if
flies.

The contioual front flips on the spot the TLT1 does is pretty crazy, I
cant wait to see the indoor crawling scene take off, no cat or
girlfriend will be safe from a mini indoor electric crawler

G

·
yes batts are easy..well if you know what to do

motors...well i got a 16t motor and that makes the car go so fast..

novak and lrp are good esc...i run a tekin pro which was top off line esc a while ago id imagine

anything around the 17t range would do well id say

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
AUSRC said:
That is US pricing from Tower. I haven't started looking locally yet - I get my benchmark price from there and then go shopping.

Well I'll be... take one's eyes off the ball for a flash and lookee what happens!

Yep Tower $145. The usual ePay suspects have dropped their greed too, they're down to $145-155 now.

Could also be something to do with Tamiya's announcement last week of the TLT-2!!
Just a new shell in all probability, but what the hey.

Don't bother looking for either in Oz, as I don't think TT will be bringing TLTs in. At all.

You will have to excuse me I am a real novice in this electric space. A mild mod motor would be something like what? What sort of ESC would I then get?

A 540 mild mod is mid-teens, say 14-20 turns.

For a little TLT-1, a chromecan basic Mabuchi 540 or Tamiya SportTuned is likely most suitable - good torque, nil maintenance. Or a 23turn Jap-stock if you like fiddling with brushes etc. (All who own one say the TLT is surprisingly very quick!!)

ESC? Futaba MC330R is always a good bet - light & compact. The LRP F1 Pro Reverse is another nice unit but bigger & dearer.

Novak SuperRooster probably won't fit & it'll make it too topheavy anyway; but recently Novak has announced the "XRS" - I saw a preproduction unit and it looks pretty good. Only a matter of price... if its same as Futaba 330 then I'd choose the XRS.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alrighty then....

$145 - Kit
$ 60 - 2 x Battery Packs
$ 32 - Bearing Upgrades
$ 60-FutabaMC330CR ESC
$ 20 - Tamiya Sport Tuned 540 Motor

$367 - Total in USD, so about $490 Aussie.

That's looking a little more like it. Need to learn more about these motors though......

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Mabuchi 540 is the chromecan motor provided in most basic kits. It is a 27turn single with zero timing; can is sealed so you cannot change the timing & no comm-cutting rubbish.
Brushes are sealed inside so there's nothing to tinker with; rest of motor will be worn out before the brushes are.

They are maintenance free save for a drop of oil on the bushings every so often.

SportTuned is a black can version of the 540; makes a little more power but still has heaps of torque (wild mods with low turns have less torque).

Suspect the TLT battery pack is just 6x AAs in a pyramid pile? Or are the pix deceiving... could they be 'A' cells?

Then again... the TLT (a 1/18th Monster Truck) is nearly the physical size of a Wild Willy 2 (1/10th not-very-Monster jeep). Thought Sub-Cs would be the go bbut nah, Tamiya has to reinvent 'Betamax'.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
AUSRC said:
$145 - Kit
$ 60 - 2 x Battery Packs
$ 32 - Bearing Upgrades
$ 60-FutabaMC330CR ESC
$ 20 - Tamiya Sport Tuned 540 Motor

$367 - Total in USD, so about $490 Aussie.

Bugger - AUD dropping like a stone...

Hey Chris, do you get any special Tower benefits & discounts on top??

Their site just quoted US$41-39 to ship 1, $71-79 to airmail 2... wondering if you knew any good rorts on that.

Otherwise I think it might be ~US$30 to EMS from HK...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zoomer,

You just have to work the system... until the end of April you get $20 off any order over $200US. From one of there fliers I have a "Save $10" on any order over $125. I get $8 discount on freight for orders over $150.

So, the TLT-1 and ESC is $204. Freight is $40(ish) after freight discount, then $20 discount of that.

Second Order is over $160(ish) - Freight $20(ish) after discount, then $10 discount off that.

2 shipments mean that Customs should leave me alone, total freight of about $60 US and I capture a total of $30US in discounts. So all up I get everything, shipped for under $400US.

The "Gold Customer" discounts don't kick in until after the $500US mark. Obviuosly at that point Customs start to get excited......

Regards,

Chris.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zoomer,

What is Shizouka?

Thanks, Chris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts