1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

guys i need help again

i have a problem with some parts on my evo2

i think they are called CUP JOINTS.The part that goes in ball diff(not one way)in wich universal shafts go in.On one way cup joints are longer and 1 has a hole in the middle and one has extened part that goes all the way through one way into cup joint with hole...i need that parts but for ball diffs

they come with ball diff set but i dont have enough money to pay 60$ for 2 cup joints

is it possible to buy them separatley?

if someone has tamiya part number please reply

thank you

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yep, sounds like you need

Tamiya OP 53217 Touring Car Hard Cup Joint Set (for Ball Diff)

I think that OP is better than the original kit's Tamiya SP 9805821-D Joint Cup (MA37) which is probably not hardened and would wear out faster.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...but i found few pics of 53217 and it is for gear diff or one way

when i should place an order i need to say 53217 for ball diff

is it possible that 2 dierent cups have the same number

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
No not possible. Tamiya is good in numeracy, always 1 part number for each item - they're very organised.

Always, 53xxx parts are OP (option parts) and 50xxx/51xxx are SP (spare parts).

I have not had to buy that part before, I got the number from here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/58284.pdf

But for most of the other balldiffs eg TA03 Tamiya do sell hardened outdrives.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok...

but i looked on about 7 internet stores ...wherever i could find the picture of that part and in every picture there was cups for one way or gear diff in the number 53217 and 53218 also...and on some tamiya spare parts list i found that 53217 is for gear diff and 53218 for ball diff wich is not true according to many stores

i am confused now...i dot know wich order do i need to place...

i opened that pdf that you(ZOOMER)send me...how do u know that 53217 is the part i need cuz there is no picture of that part?

please help...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
even on the tamiya pages there is a parts list with pictures and 53217 and 53218 looks the same...1 cup has extended part and other has hole...it is for gear diff and one way and it looks that cup for tg10 ball diff does not exist ..only in tg10 complete ball diff set

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Like you say, 53217 and 53218 are both Hard Joint Cups for touring car... but 53217 is definitely for a ball diff. Look at the spline area and compare the 2; the ball diff outdrives have a narrower spline area than the gear diff outdrives.

I am looking at the pictures in the 2003 RC Guide Book btw.

Surprisingly this part was originally made for the TA03 Ball Diff... so its the same outdrive as the MantaRay ball diff etc. So if you can't find the "hard" parts, the normal ones to fit any TA03/TL01/M03/M04/MantaRay/TA01/TA02 ball diff will be the same too.

But I have not played with the TG10 ball diff set before, so no idea if the outdrives on those are the same as TA03.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok...then there is a confusion between stores...

the cups in tg10 ball diff have same round part(cup) and have the little round part with little teeth right next to big round part(cup)...there is no space between

this cups 53217 are longer cuz they have same big round part and same teeth part but between there is few milimeters of extention

therefore i wont be able to push cup completely in diff...so it will be longer and maybe my rear dogbones wont have enough room...do u understand what i mean?

i apologize for clumsy descriptions...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ooo.i looked at so many pics and all 53217 part 1 has LONG extension and part 2 has hole in it

only 1 way or gear diff has hole in the middle in wich extension should go

and 53218 are identical cup joints and yes...they also have extension and hole..

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yeah I know exactly what you mean.

Above is the same pic as in the Tamiya Guide Book.

I saw also they're short & stumpy compared to 53217 which are:

and this is 53218 for the geardiff:

btw what does your manual say??

Nobody's uploaded copy of TBeI or II's manual nor that of the TG10R to tamiyaclub.com so I cannot check.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow...something that is mystery even to you...

that probably means i am screwed...that i will have to buy complete ball diff for 2 stupid cup joints...

damn...

i dont have manual and didnt find it on the net...only that pdf where is a list of parts but without pictures

ooo ...if i only could talk to someone from tamiya and ask why there is no part number for that cup joints on the original tamiya parts list,and evo 2 and 1 has them when u buy them in the store

maybe the solution would be to take those shorter ones cups ...1st on yr pic and cut off the extension and try...i have 2nd one ,longer one ,i got them in my one way(53218)...maybe to cut them and try,...wha do u think?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Anything is possible, nothing's impossible if you have to fix it out of necessity (= mother of invention). Go for it.

What did you do to yours anyway?

Did you break the cups or strip the splines?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well,the metal part in wich cup goes has a hole with teeth...

even when it is new when u put cup in it it can move up,down makin the angle about 20 deg...do u understand what i mean?

so when i press forward it starts to spin but it is not in the middle...it moves...difficult to describe...i see 2 cups at the same time...1 up and 1 down ....it make hella vibration and now i have huge holes in the place where dogbones goes...those little 2 extensions...so i can move my wheel freely for almost 1 quarter withouth moving cup joint

now i glued it with superglue and it rotates in center but now it is too late

u probably know that evo2 has cups moved to the back so dogbones do not go straight in the wheel and there exists slight angle...so 2 extension do not rotate in the mid of cup ....they are moving in the cup in and out...do u know what i mean...and due to me having large deep holes in cups my dogbone cannot move in and out and creates big vibrations...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Sounds like you don't need new drive cups, but new side plates for the diff. The splines sound worn... suggest might be time to bit the bullet and buy a whole new diff.

I have stripped the splines on a TA03 diff (used in M03); the drivecups survive fine but the splines on the diffplates do wear out & strip after a while.

When you have a new diff, it is good to use loctite or weak epoxy to hold the splined parts together. You don't want them to wobble, this is what wears them out.

In the interim, have you tried JB WELD?? This is great stuff, you should buy some - it is like an epoxy glue except its like metal & sticks well to metal, you can file & grind it after its cured etc. You can use it to build up the splines that are worn.

If your drivecups are permanently glued to the balldiff... can you still take the balldiff out of the car? Will it be a problem adjusting the diff? If its not a problem, I would consider JB WELDing the outdrives to the diff splines permanently.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well,difplates are 100% and cups%ok...when i open new diff from its bag and take cup and put it in it wobbles very much,but when i put oneway cups it fits a bit hard wich is super cuz it doesnt wobble(wobble..i asume that is whe cup moves up down on the end but its center part wich is in diff is still in center)

i used superglue and now i cant get it out...if i had some new cups id probably managed to pull old ones out

i think it would be a good odea for me to buy another evo2 for spare parts...do u have any ideas?

i am waiting here for yr answer

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Use acetone to dissolve superglue.

Or if the parts are all metal, you can also try boiling water or putting it in the freezer, both will weaken the superglue.

But when you use JB WELD, it will be Permanent!!

It is up to you if you can find another car for spares at a suitable price. But a used car will also have the same few parts that are worn out & crash damaged etc... so I'd usually only get a car that I know the history of.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Come to think of it... how important is that balldiff to you?

Why not build a TB01/TG10 gear diff, that might be more hardy. Again I don't think there's a Tamiya retail kit for a whole gear diff, you'll have to make it from parts. But all the parts should be easy to find.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts