Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a Tamiya TB-01 based rally car soon and am wondering if this chassis will be superseeded or discontinued soon ? I pretty much have my heart set on getting it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
how much is the tb01? and which one? the evo?

theres a tb-02 03 rallywrxfor$235 on ebay...i bought the mercedez clk for $250...hmm...i am gonna sell the body anyway...for like $70...the shipping is $20...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hobbyrama has the TB01 Subaru WRC for $249.99. I see the tt01 and tl01rally cars that have treaded tires whereas the tb01 rally cars have rally block tyres.

·
Registered
332 Posts
yeah?

the ebay tb02 wrx costs $5 more than that hobby shop then...the tb02 is better than the tb01 yeah? unless you would want the tb01 for some reason...well thats all the info i can give ya...ahhh...

lol what does the tt01 and tl01 have to do with this?

·
Registered
596 Posts
the tb-02 is better value than the tb-01 as you get ball diffs front and rear + bearings. Think plastic tub evo 3 so its a current model. I'm pretty sure its lighter than the tb-01 as well.

the tb-01 is probably better suited to rally duties as the tub can be fully sealed and has no gaping holes in the tub unlike the tb-02. also of note is the drive line is cast steel and straight out of the tg-10 nitro. included with the rally versions of the tb-01 is a dust cover with two drivers on the top. this cover may overheat your electronics.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I managed to find out that the tb01 is discontinued, so i'll prolly get a tt01 and jack it up or somethin. I also went to a local hobby shop that will remain nameless and the dude behind the counter reckoned the car was not available and there is no way that the Kyosho Alpha 3 Subaru Impreza WRC with rally block tyres on it could be driven in offroad coz as soon as you hit a rock (how big I don't know) that's the end of the car. Pfft as if.Edited by: RiZZa

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Should still be plenty of TB01 kits left on shelves; although the TB02 is out its not a direct replacement. TB01 Rally Chassis still has very much a place on the Tamiya lineup so it'll be a while yet don't worry.

Parts are no problems as many are shared with TG10. Knowing Tamiya they even support old cars that have been looooong discontinued... like the TA01/02/03.

Even the TL01 is supposedly "replaced" by TT01 but they're still selling it alongside.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I shouldn't be too worried about the parts situation ? I guess I should contact my nearest hobby shops just to make certain I guess. While I am hard on cars, (I planted my stampede at full steam into a steel pole at full steam on the first day) I witnessed a guy at the local sk8park launching an old ff02 mondeo on a concrete tabletop and getting 4ft of air without any damage 20 times and speaking to nismospeed about how he treats his, is why i want a tamiya tourer.

·
Registered
596 Posts
the front shock tower is a bit fragile on the tb-01s as many owners including me have found out. if you do break it you will be happy to know the front shocks can be attatched to the points where the front shock tower attachs if need be.

to reduce the chances of you breaking the front shock tower. fit the the large plastic bumper from a tg-10 and the foam bumper that goes with it and you should be fine.

here's a old pic of my tb-01 with tg10 plastic bumper and foam bumper. you will notice the front shock tower is not on the car cos i broke it

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
If you intend to rough-use your car, suggest TB01 is a lot tougher than TB02.

TB02 is a lot lighter built. Its tub doesn't have the upper brace and is more wobbly than TB01. Shocks are oil but strangely Tamiya has specified "super-mini CVAs", dunno why!? these have the least oil volume of all.

Suspension bits (from TA04) are long and flimsy... I've broken heaps of TA04 arms but have never broken any on TL01/TB01/FF02. Hingepin mounts are plastic & breakable, hingepins will bend & bind if abused.

Drivetrain also... TB02 has balldiffs sure, but they're cheapo versions of the EvoIII ones. Plastic outdrives will break or chip if you whack the front end hard.

Best thing about TB02 is the battery tray, can use side-by-sides. TB01 only takes sticks and mine damaged a lot of my batteries from impact damage.

Don't worry about TB01 parts... you'll be able to find them even in 2010, probably even 2015 if not beyond.

·
Registered
596 Posts
you can get side by sides into a tb-01 but its a very tight fit especially with gp3300's. for rally purposes i'd still go the tb-01 even with a weak front shock tower. for those that can be bothered looking, gpm and penguin rc both make CF shock towers for the tb-01/tg-10

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I ended up buying a Tamiya Stadium Raider. Still building, done my first paint job, good fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts