Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Tamiya Nitro cars are good enough to be competitiveI racing.

I know someone will say it depends on the drivers skill.

I am just wondering if itthey arereally slow. LIke I went down to an on road track the other day and there were fast nitro cars then there was a really slow one that didn't crash once, but still came last, mind you all the other fast cars srashed a fair bit.

I was looking at theTamiya RTR Ford Focus RS WRC 2003and it seemed fairly good. oes anyone know about this car?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
793 Posts
looking at the specs, it doesnt seem to be a good racing car. due to friction dampers, plastic bushings
, non adjustable tie rods. Semms like a nice car to play around with, but i dont think it would be a good racer. just my opinion.

·
Registered
793 Posts
or you could buy this car (it seems cheap in comparison to others) then replace a few things when you get it.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Tamiya XBGs aren't really built for the track for serious competition astheir main target is nitro beginners. The TG10 (kit) is probably a better design, but a Kyosho V-One-S would run rings around it.

Either car you should upgrade with ballbearings immediately; that'll give you a pretty good ride to run "novice" levels at your local club.

They are built strong & reliable, so that's already half your race won.

G

·
I would suggest a V1RR. They ga pretty cheap now as the evo kit is out and V1RRR is about to released this month. They are great and kicks arse all over my TG10. They have adjustable everything.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
V-one-R, RR, RRevo, RRR, RRRR, RRRRR, RRRRRR...
they're all not suitable for pullstart engines, you must have a starterbox.

For general bashing a pullstart is handy... and a V-one-S would be perfect.

V-one-S will also allow you entry into the Kyosho Cup competition; Rs not allowed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi Gang,

A couple of extra points re the TGS/XBG Tam series. First the good points - they are fantastically built. The quality is *easily* the best of any RTR I have seen to date. Absolutely faultless. They are *super* reliable. Mine starts when I merely look at it the right way. Oh, OK, it does takea *tiny* pull of the cord, but seriously, its a super easy, super reliable car with reasonably performance.

Now the bad bits. Reasonable performance - well barely reasonable really. Stock they really are a bit of a slug. Single speed box with no "official" 2 speed (perhaps some other Tam 2 speed would fit, I dunno). You can fit the "Tuned Gear Set" to improve top speed, but, predictable, out-of-corner punch is noticeably worse if you do.

The friction shocks will be a major limitation in most racing I think.

Lastly, they are a pest to work on. To make any change bar replacing the batteries requires removal of a hatch, which in turn requires removal of the throttle servo and a pile of other things, not good for between-race maintenance.

Basically, as a fun intro nitro car it would be hard to find better. As a racer (except against other TGS cars) its useless.

Mike

G

·
You get more power out of a non pull start engine. You rright though, If you are just a basher, then go pull start. Less outlay in the beginning.

But... You did say for competion, so some cars I would suggest are

V1RRevo, Serpent 710, LD3, HPI R40 or maybe a Mugen. These all have adjustable evrything and have a better build quality then Tamiya Nitros. Tamiya make very advance electric cars but fail to make any advancements towards their Nitros.

By the way, You cannot get a straight swap for a 2 speed from any other Tamiya car for the TGS.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
ADSS said:
But... You did say for competion, so some cars I would suggest are

V1RRevo, Serpent 710, LD3, HPI R40 or maybe a Mugen. These all have adjustable evrything and have a better build quality then Tamiya Nitros. Tamiya make very advance electric cars but fail to make any advancements towards their Nitros.

umm... ALL of the above are at least TWICE the price of a Tamiya XBG/TGS... yeah

For the fancy machinery, Tamiya has the TG10R - all fancy carbon & alloy. Very nice car, even has its own special low-profile engine... but yeah it came out 2 yrs ago and nothing's progressed since then.

Serpent makes some fantastic gear, but all very pricey. Worth every penny if you like admiring great engineering, the Berveots never let you down. 710 looks like a great car, but the fanciest I've seen so far is the Veteq (1/8th) - this is a Serpent engineer's wet dream!! It just has to be seen to be believed... but unfortunately it was too complicated even for 1/8th racers.

G

·
Depending on where you buy it. You can get a V1rr chassis for $300 if you buy off the Internet.

The Tg10R is nothing compared to the Kyoshos, Serpents and HPI and such. It is the worst of the 'pro' cars.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Tamiya came out in 2000 I think... all the others are later models; but honestly imho everyone else has just copied the Serpent Impulse from 1997.

Impulse was untouchable against everything 200mm.

Thought the RR was discontinued already - stock runout sales? Also different countries get different specs, different bodies (some don't), different tyres (some don't) and some get extras like sway bars etc in the RR box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts