Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey Guys,

Last night i decided to take apart my s-25 and i cant seem to take off my fly-wheel, i have taken off the black nut but cant seem to get the fly-wheel off the shalf it is like it is stuck. The Manual displays the flywheel goes straight on and should come straight off.

I need help pleaseEdited by: Savage SS

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Hold the flywheel in your hand between the fingers, and give the crankshaft a tap with a hammer.

Don't clamp it to anything nor rest the engine on the table as you'll bend something. All it needs is a small sharp tap - its being held tight by friction & baked casteroil.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
There is a brass cone that is designed to clamp onto the shaft and hold the flywheel dead centre. When you installed the flywheel and tightened the nut, you effectively press the flywheel onto this brass cone.The fltwheel will just be wedged onto it(its supposed to be). You will have to wedge it off either using a screw driver or similar. When you re install the flywheel you can re use it if its not damaged or you should have a spare one in the ss kit. Ive re used mine a few times.

·
Registered
536 Posts
well i took mine off yesterday and it came off easy. i would say it stuck on will a build up of sand and oil and crud like that .maybe could try to heat it up will a hair dryer

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for that so when u say tap the crankshaft u mean tapping the back of the shalf were the pull start lives, husky i already tryed the srewdriver and snapped the head of my dads brand new screwdrivers, i think it is really tight.

So u reckon giving it a tap in the crankshaft could i aslo tap the flywheel from the back would that work.

cheers

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
no, tap the front end where the nut goes on.

It is a good idea to unscrew the nut until its flush with the tip of the shaft. Gives you a bit more area to target your mallet at.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
zoomer said:
no, tap the front end where the nut goes on.

It is a good idea to unscrew the nut until its flush with the tip of the shaft. Gives you a bit more area to target your mallet at.

AND stops you engine from hitting the ground when it comes loose. You may find heat usefull - use a small blow torch if you have one to gently heat the parts (don't fry anything). You may find it has moved while hot and shrunk as it cools to a tight fit.

DON'T HIT THE PULL START END OF YOUR MOTOR!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Morphy said:
You may find heat usefull - use a small blow torch if you have one to gently heat the parts (don't fry anything). You may find it has moved while hot and shrunk as it cools to a tight fit.

nah, its a "taper" fit not a shrink fit like the bearings inside.

Its usually just stuck with baked on castoroil, no amt of extra heating will break that bond except for a sharp tap.

If you're planning on doing it often, you can buy a special flywheel puller. Its just like any other puller (brake drums, steering wheel etc) only smaller. If you're ingenious you could probably build one yourself from 2" of metal pipe + a large bolt & nut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts