Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I have had a Tamiya Terra Crusher and I now have a Savage - so I probably don't have a lot of right to comment, however.....

They are the smallest of the monsters. The new .15 that they use is a Sirio built engine (correct me if I'm wrong...) and producesin the mid 1's in HP. Fairly impressive for a small block. Speed therefore is fairly impressive. The size make handling at these speeds a touchy proposition. I have seen them run and my Terra Crusher, underpowered as it was, would easily out handle it. The Savage has the best of both worlds.

Strength - don't know - or only know what I have read. I have read that they breaka touch more regularly than others, but it would come down to how it is driven. As far as hop-ups go - it sets the benchmark.

In Aus, you are probably looking at 1200-1300 AUD, they are 399 US. The Savage probably the same in AUD and US. The Savage was built from the ground up with a Big Block. The Tmaxx can get there, but it requires some major chassis hopups to achieve it.

My money - the Savage (I could have got a Tmaxx and didn't), just watch your spares availability in Australia.

Regards,

AUSRC.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had had a Traxxas T-Maxx 2.5 and it was a great Truck. It is a very different truck to the Savage and I think people get caught up too much in trying to compare them.

The T-Maxx weighs in at only 3.5kg where as my Savage weighs in at 8kg!! Big difference. Also the T-Maxx has a small block .15 where as the Savage has a big block .25

I had a few Hop Ups on the Maxx, it was super fast, damn those TRX 2.5 engine haul arse for a .15!! The only problem withh this engine is it is not really suited to beginner as it is hard to tune and keep in a safe temp range.

These trucks are actually fairly durable, but I think the Savage (in stock form) will win the durability race every time.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
HIRISK,

Quick correction for you, the Savage 25 RTR is only 5KG.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
204 Posts
5kg....Wow, I thought mine was heavier than a standard Savage.

Mine weighed in at 7.8kg last time I weighed it. That was withh the Picco in, Alloy Centre Skid, Swamp Dawgs, Full Tank of Fuel, MP Servo Saver etc etc.

Might have to put her on a diet!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
the tmaxx isnt as strong as the savage OR as heavy, make sence dont have to be a genius, although it is strongth enough to do the same stuff as a savage, unless u are like some crazy rcer that through them off freeway overpasses and barns, neway get a tmaxx throw in some mip cvds, rpm parts, associated shocks, duratrax chassy parts, sirio .18, and youll kick any savages arse, u break a part get it replaced 4 free they break a part and cry and blame it on HPI, lol no offence, but they are just as good as each other depending on wat u see in a hobby truck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a T-Maxx 2.5 and I love it to bits. It sh*ts allover my friends
Hotwheels (Smartec T-Mazz clone) in both power and handling. After
flogging its guts out for nearly a year, all I have busted on it is a
shock and the front bulkheads. Yeah the engine is finicky to tune but
hey if you want easy to run get an E-Maxx.

Having said that I am currently putting together a hybrid T-Maxx with a .26 mill

It's going to cost me a small fortune even after scavenging parts from
the 2.5 but will be super fast and super strong when it's finished.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate... glad to see you modding the RC into something better.

I looked at a $4,000 E-Maxx today... all alloy and man was it heavy!! Not quite my cup of tea but nice to see all that shiny stuff.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I remember my days, in year 12, 5 years ago......oogling over the
maxxx.......teary eyes and all, had the youth, but no cash.. Instead of
buying a new alumnium spur gear back then I was into buying the latest
15 inch subs for my car.....happy days.....

Let's move on with the times...what do you think about the REVO farmboy?

Edited by: milknbutter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
milknbutter said:
I remember my days, in year 12, 5 years ago......oogling over the
maxxx.......teary eyes and all, had the youth, but no cash.. Instead of
buying a new alumnium spur gear back then I was into buying the latest
15 inch subs for my car.....happy days.....

Let's move on with the times...what do you think about the REVO farmboy?

It looks sweet but I'm not so sure how it would handle being bashed.
The inboard shocks look mad tho. I'm not sure how it would handle
a B.B. mill either.

Looking at it a little further I think it would make a great racing
rig. It's light and there is a lot of scope for different setup options
but alas I think Traxxas made a HUGE mistake in not catering for the BB
market. Their engine mounts mean that people suffering from the "Tim
the Tool Man" syndrome are out of luck. No BB Revos on the horizon.

Edited by: farmboy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts