Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<DIV>Hi Gang,</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm running in a T-Maxx and the engine is doing the strangest thing. I'm following the T-Maxx manual as best I can. I'm into the 5th tank. I have the engine at 4 turns on the HSN as specified in the book. There is copious (HEAPS) of blue smoke. At partial (half or better)throttle the engine has that rich, bogged down feeling, which is fair enough. But at full throttle it has that lean "Sagging" feeling to it, but still with loads of smoke.. Additionally it feels VERY hot and is blowing plugs like crazy. Uneven idling and flaming out after each top speed run.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The book warns about strange run in behaviour, but this seems a little over the top - there are symptoms of both rich AND lean, all in the one setting. My only departure from the book is that I'm running 25% fuel. I tried 4.5 turns on the HSN with not much difference.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Any suggestions?</DIV>
<DIV>Mike</DIV>

·
Registered
761 Posts
HOW hot is it running? I'd Suggest picking up a good quality temperature guage to fix that issue.

Maybe just ignore its strange running, and get the tanks through. After about 10 tanks tops you should be able to lean it out and get the performance side out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I would richen the HSN, and lean the LSN a little to counter the richer HSN setting.

This should give a similar reactions down low, and correct your WOT issues.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Chris was right, it needed more HSN.

But get this, I am running it in now at nearly 5.5 turns on the HSN. This is WAY outside my experience of HSN settings, don't think I've ever used more than 4 before (that was on my buggy).

So anyway, the thing is now super rich all through the rev range (such as it is - doesn't even change to second yet), copious smoke, plugs not disintegrating. So at least now I can proceed with the rest of the break in procedure - hoping that I haven't cooked the poor engine too much so far.

Sheesh, five turns, unbelievable.

Mike

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
5 turns out eh? that explains why it wont shift into second gear

both my 2.5' engines usually run around 4 turns out, give or take half a turn depending on weather..

did you check your needle settings before break in?? although i am a Traxxas fan, i have come to the conculsion that traxxas pays monkeys in banana's to set the mixture needles coz every 2.5 i have seen has not been set accurately from the factory, but once checked and resetall have ran good thru break-in.

also, ditch the stock cooling head asap for something like the golden horizons, or similar.... the stock head works great if u live at the north pole, but is a bit of an under-acheiver for the hot aussie climate..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah, the stock head isnt the best, i have golden horizons heads in stock at the moment and they seems to be the trick with t-maxx about 30% cooler and less weight that standard head.

2.5 engine is a great engine and we never ever had issues with them, id say once you get closer to the tenth tank you notice a huge improvement.

Good luck with the break in

G

·
Hi, I just finished my 5th tank yesterday on my new Maxx, I have had
few problems at all (so far),i followed the break in procedure
described in the manual and have had no problems exept that she wanted
to hit second gear to soon,on the fourth tank when your sposed to
exalerate to full throtel over a 3 second count I could not reach full
throthel b4 she swiched into second(the dvd said your not allowed to
hit second so soon).an yeah maybe monkeys do assemble these trucks on
my first tank i noticed smoke from the top of the motor!(the glow plug
wasnt tightend).anyways its time to try tune it today sometime,Hoping
for the best!

·
Registered
131 Posts
i recently ran my t maxx and i ran it in on 20% then relized i was eating plugs a running at 350f traxxas say dont go above 270f so i just went on to 10% nitro and my plugs last longer and i run slightly cooler but i have not installed my aftermarket head yet as i had driveline problems bloody t maxx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts