Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've tried 3 hobby stores...including hobbbyco which i buy all my r/c stuff from...and they all don't have a comm lathe...errr

brushes already cost $8, how much will the lathe cost?

well sydney people,where do you lathe your comm? or do you did you buy it thing???

crap, this motor maintenance is gonna cost me like $25 a month extra

G

·
yep, sure will man.....just think though...serious racers do a motor rebuild after every run...or just replace the motor.....

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
You shouldn't need to cut the comm so fast already... what have you been doing to the motor?

Don't cut unless you need to too. A comm cut is exactly that - you're cutting a little off it each time & after a while its all gone.

If you really need to cut... perhaps try Wings-n-Things, they should be able to help.

Which 3 LHS did you try??

Brushes don't need to be changed until they've worn down at least 1/3rd; or if you've overheated them and they've turned Blue. (if only bashing, buy spare "harder" brushes which last longer)

If you're really asking... a good comm lathe machine could costs $4-500; the bit itself can be $150-250 alone. A bad/cheap comm lathe is worse than not having one at all.

There is also a lot of skill involved with comm cutting... unless you know the basics of machining, better get someone to do it for you. If you do it badly, you will not only destroy your comm but also destroy the diamond BIT!
Yep $250 a pop.

All motor cans are also pretty standardised... you can buy a new rotor/armature and put that into your existing can. Can be any brand, need not be the same brand as the can.

Or sometimes cheaper to buy a whole new motor, there's some really cheap motors around these days.

·
Registered
596 Posts
you may want to consider a stock 27t motor if you plan on getting another motor they are still plenty fast and don require as much maintenence

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
MiG:- Have you bought some motor spray yet??

Motor spray is great, cleans the comm very well. Spray some onto a clean cloth and wipe the comm down with it.

If there are some shallow burns on the comm, give it a light scrub with a pencil eraser. Then spray to remove any eraser shavings.

Get some good brand RC Motor Spray; some of us use electrical contact cleaner spray but some of those can melt Tamiya plastic. Motor Spray is usually same price or cheaper.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the brushes haven't gone blue

one comm is half the side of the other one...and its too small the spring can't push it onto the comm firmly...thats why it doesn't run...

its like the 10th run...ok so i'll just replace the brushes...didn't have enough money this morning...$10 for them...phantom brand...

are all brushes the same??? the wire and the block is made of the same stuff?

the comm looks pretty straight...how often do people do thecomm lathe?

i tried hobbyco, liverpool, para

G

·
do as zoomer said......wipe as much off as you can with motor spray......

i actually used nitro fuel on mine..and it made it so shinny, and it seemed faster too...

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Nah, bad move. Nitro fuel & WD40 both contain oil, which gets left behind after the volatile parts evaporate. This oil will only oxidise into sooty gunk when the brush & comm gets hot. You will cause more future trouble than you cure - carbon soot doesn't conduct as well as metal!!

Motor spray leaves behind NO residue after it dries.

MiG:- I think you've got a sticking brush. The one that hasn't worn must be stuck in its hood. Both brushes must be free to move all the way In & Out.

You can bend the brush springs to re-tension them for a shorter brush, but the brushes should be replaced once they've worn down by 1/3rd (2/3rds remaining).

If the worn brush is still usable (>2/3rds), you can switch them to even out the wear.

Brushes do come in different compounds; for bashing, get some "hard" ones for longest life. Slightly less power than "soft/silver" brushes, but last much longer.

Good hobby shops also have BULK PACKS of brushes. If you're going to be buying them often its cheaper this way. Or some better shops sell them loose (unpackaged) by the pair too.

Just make sure you know the difference between LAYDOWN and UPRIGHT brushes.
(ie Don't buy the wrong one.)

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Really dunno that nitro fuel you Tassies get then...

Ahh, you'll get better mileage out of Zippo fluid (petroleum spirit) or real motor spray anyway. Heaps cheaper than $10+/litre.

G

·
man you think you know all...have you actually tried nitro fuel on
it???...its just what ive got left in the bottl from my old nitro car...

i rub it on with a cloth, scrub for a while, use a rubber to remover
scorch marks ETC, the redo this 3 or 4 times....ask jiggen how clean it
gets...and its better then leaving it anyway...

geez

Nismo

·
Registered
596 Posts
<DIR>

if you have nitro left over from a nitro car you might as well use it while u have it. when u run out move on to metho. I personally use motorspray.</DIR>

G

·
yep exactly....why waste a half a litre off good fuel, wait till empty
then ill try motor spray or something....going to start racing soon,
heard there is a bigish club over other side off town....

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Some use stale nitro fuel to strip paint with...

Of if the stuff is only half iffy, I mix it with fresh stuff and use it as normal.

G

·
zoomer keep on topic...its about comm cleaning..not paint stripping...geez!!

nitro fuel and a rubber works wonders for me!!

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Nah, I'm a huge McGuyer fan and I'm too lazy to wake up early on Sundays to spend all day racing...

Wow... Bunnings is selling cordless drills for $18-80! Next Best thing if you don't have access to a lathe.

G

·
right, but you go to all this trouble getting the "right" plugs, and proper wire, and the best this and that.....

Nismo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts