Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I hate Subaru WRXes, they're so common and they're all driven by .. errm, let's not get started on those self-pleasuring types (wannabe Porsche owners?)
And Christ, why does everybody (1) wanna buy the same in an RC and not only that, they (2) *all*paint them boring BLUE??!!

A good friend of ours recently had to buy a "family" car last year.. and decided to go for a Subaru B4. In recognition of his new arrival (more the Kid, than the Car), we built him a replica of his garage dweller (the car; kid gets to sleep inside).

Shell is ABC japanese made, rare and never found in Oz.

Paint is a dark charcoal, with a Metallic gold flake through it. (Damned hard getting the right mix of colour and flake to match the real thing.)

Misc custom stickers, accessories etc. Hand-painted the wheels to a matte silver finish, as that's what the 1:1 (2nd batch Oz delivery) has. Minimal stickers too... eg all the black window frames & intercooler vent is handpainted inblack.

Visited him and grabbed hisTamiya TA03PRO (that hebought before he got married and now has better things to play with) to mount it on. Its doing shelf-queen duty only, so we invented a custom mounting system with velcro.

Overall a prettyexpensive excercise (the shell; oh OK the Kid's not cheap either) but looks a treat.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Perth hobby centre now sells ABC hobby bodies. I picked up a trueno and a levin. they also had in stock a r32 gtr, sileighty, and a cefiro. they can get others in as well.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm? They must definitely be in the grey-importing trade then??!
How much do they ask for them?

But for us Eastcoasters to buy from WA... might as well get them shipped in direct from Asia. Could be quicker AND cheaper on the postage too, knowing OzPost.

Yeah, ABC makes some nice shells, nearly as nice as Tamiya's originals. Wish they would bring out some new ones but - there hasn't been any new models for a long time. Pricewise they're up there with the Tamiyas though.

I got these when travelling... beats buying useless souvenirs o/s. Yep got a AE86 Trueno too (just the closed light one, couldn't find a open light), trying very hard to avoid painting it "panda"
. Saw a Levin/Sprinter when browsing too but damned forgot which shop it was and couldn't find that shop again -Know at least 1 guy who'd love one to match his 1:1 also.

·
Registered
596 Posts
they for for 65 bux so its not exactly cheap. i know they are bringing them in from singapore from model one or something like that

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh ok. Yeah, Model 1 has got their own website and I've visited every LHS in Singapore too. The shells might be listed many places, but actually having them in stock to buy is another thing.

ABC and some others also made some 'caricature/cartoon' shells of sedan cars to suit Mini. They sure look cute enough to buy, if only I could find some.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I build more "scale" cars than racing machines... mainly 'cos nobody pays me to make models of all those mobile advertising billboards.

The only "racing livery" I like is
ciggy and alcohol advertising... Rothmans, Camel, Marlboro, Martini, Westetc - ahh those were the days!

Rally fans don't even know where Subaru's ")))" logo comes from these days... its the Benson & Hedges "555", that's where! That and the "Bitten & Hisses".

·
Registered
472 Posts
do you memeber the old winfiled posters with the VN V8 supercars on em..i think thats it...with the logo sounds like thunder goes like lightining...also cant miss the GIGANTIC winfield banners all ova it...now they ban ciggy and alco sponsorship in car racing..also jim reads winfield top fuel dragter..those were the days

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VN V8??? hahaha, "Godzilla" fodder!

Those R32s ran Winfield colours too, didn't they?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
No, lets go all the way back to the Marlboro VC/VH Commodores when Brocky ruled the moutain and Johnson was boulder fodder..... Tru Blu and all.....

Zoomer, you and I are probably some of the only ones old enogh to remember that...

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
439 Posts
zoomer said:
Now I hate Subaru WRXes, they're so
common and they're all driven by .. errm, let's not get started on
those self-pleasuring types (wannabe Porsche owners?)

Ahem
Watch it mate some people own WRX's around here.
This sort of comment usually comes from people who have been
dragged off by too many WRX's in their Celica or Civic so I wont take it
too hard.

I would like to know what you do drive though.

BTW that B4 looks very nice. Do they do a 4 door WRX body of the
classic shape by any chance? I dont want a WRC Impreza body for my
car.... and no I wouldnt paint it blue I would paint it white like my
WRX. (real one not a r/c)

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lots of "ex" WRX drivers out there.

Some more Ex than others.

And if anyone is offended... well, must be a reason - guess you'd better look in the mirror and shave those palms.

Public road is not a racetrack.

--------------------------------

4-door old-style shell? No, can't say I've seen any either. Had a Frewer one in the bag out back and went to check it... but nah, its also a 2-dr STi type.

Got a pal also who's always bugging me to find him a Sportswagon WRX shell. No luck there too.

Yeah, everybody makes the "WRC" cars too... not really the road car. The closest has to be Kyosho's MiniZ... that's a real true WRX STi 22B.

(Mine's white!
)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts