Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas,

Just found the forums and thought this might be a place to get some help for getting started in gas R/C cars, My young bloke has been interested in the gas cars for a while,but we are not sure and big newbies when it comes to the gas cars, I contacted hobbyco and inquired about a few starter level gas powered cars,and it seems that the Tamiya Subaru is a good starter,yet i have know idea on the gas cars and was hopeing someone could give me some advice on this car,its a wrc 99 model, need to know if the car is a reasnable starter? if we can get parts for it? what type of fuel do we need? and what sort of radio is a good one to kick off with? as you can see real newbiesbut we gotta get started somewhere
He is dead keen on a monster Truck, but i see they are pricey in Oz and i looked at the Tower Link at the start page to the site,and they are well priced,even better now the Aussie dollars is up
If i was to get a monster truck from tower is everything compatable for there trucks?Like can i get parts for them here in VIC or anywhere in OZ? sorry for all the questions but i have know idea on where to begin,and ive probably posted this in the wrong forum also
sorry if i have. any help guys would be muchly appreciated.

cheers
CarnageEdited by: CARNAGE

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Carnage,

Welcome aboard.

The 1/10 scale Subaru from the LHS - is it the TG10 Kit? If so, then it is an excellent starters car. Tough, well made and has quite a few options. If you intend racing down the track however, this is probably not the car for you and you need to look at other entry level tourers like the Kyosho V-One-S.

If you have a choice of kit or RTR (Ready to Run), buy the kit. Once you have built it you know how t works when you need to repair / maintain it.

Everything that you can buy from the US is the same as what you buy here. There are a few "Special Edition" kits that don't make it, but other than that, no real difference. This does not however mean you will have ready parts availablity.

If this is your first car, then a LHS purchase is sometimes a good thing, as you can knock on their door and ask why. Alternatively you will probably get all the info you need from forums likes this... in actual fact when you have blokes like Zoomer (one of our locals) on the site - you probably have better info than the LHS - particularly on Tamiya products.

Ask as many questions as you like, we are all here to help, and we were all Newbies.

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey Aus thanks for the welcome
yup its all new to us
the car is at this link http://www.hobbyco.com.au/product/show_item.php?plu=T44024 sorryiam not familar with the model names and things,it seems to be a good starter kit,but iam speaking to nismospeed and hes giving me ideas and what i need to get kicked off, we where looking for something that has onroad and off road capabillity's, but then i got this link http://www.hobbyco.com.au/product/show_item.php?plu=KY31972A from nismospeed and the little rig looks good,and me young bloke liked it aswell,but for some damn reason he still has his heart set on a subaru
..how do the Tamiya gas cars compare to the Kyosho gas cars? I think we will probably end up getting the subaru if it is a good one and you guys would recommend it as a good starter, that is sort of our price range so far 300 to 400, cause iam also saving to get him a monster truck for Christmas
seems the Subaru has onroad and offroad capabilitys, can change the tyres for some tarmack fun,and change the tyres again for some flat tracking, anyway see what info i can get back hopefully ZOOMER can enlighten me

cheers

carnageEdited by: CARNAGE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no probs mate,

yeah the subaru can be used on flat gravel section, and maybe real tiny jumps,

and can be also setup for road aswell,

the tamiya is a TGX as far as i know.....and have heard its a good starter car,

hey could always get that last link, the kyosho offroader, and put a scooby shell on it..ahha, that will satisfy the younger..

Nismo

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Carnage,

If you look on the box you will see it is a TG10 Mk1. The TGX is the 1/8th version.

If you want a car to run off road - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. I bought this car for exactly the same reason you are considering it (first car), and it just won't do it. I have learned lots since.

The little FS-12 will run incredibly hot, and unless it is super smooth, compacted dirt or gravel, you have no chance. A stadium truck or buggy is a far better option.

Mate do this for us:

1. Budget.
2. Preference for Local vs US purchase.
3. Primary purpose - Off Road or Onroad.
4. Kit or RTR.

If you give us that much - let us come up with some alternatives.

Regards,

AUSRCEdited by: AUSRC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol nismo @AUSRC

1. Budget.
2. Preference for Local vs US purchase.
3. Primary purpose - Off Road or Onroad.
4. Kit or RTR.

1.300 to 400 AUD

2.Local but i see the aussie dollar is kicking ass on the market,1 aussie dollar buys roughly 80 USAcents so could go US purchase

3.Off road

4.Kit, so we can get a better understanding of the car and getused to pulling it appart for serviceing or replaceing parts

cheers

carnageEdited by: CARNAGE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just been surfing the net and looking at tower and seen that there are some pretty shmick electrics available aswell Just a few Questons on these cars,Is the electric just as capableas a gas car? just looking at some monster trucks and look real good,but iam not sure of preformance and running times on an electric car, i spose it would depend on the quality of battery an engine, Also is there quick chargers available? well basically would like to know if we went an electric car would we be disapointed compared to a gas car? once again sorry for all the questions
but dont want to just fly out and buy the nicest looking car and preform like crap after its assembles.

cheers

carnage

·
Registered
332 Posts
read my closed post about buyingan electric1/10 impreza...and a few of my other little questions in the ESC and R/c section...

you will know everything

·
Registered
332 Posts
just telling him to read...there is useful info for both electric and nitro

such as radio...and servos and crap...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey guys

yup still looking around for a reasnable starter,off road rig,and yup have read the post migoreng,some good info there
been looking at Tower and they have some sh*t hot deals,so i think ill be using there service
just a matter of getting the right rig,iam not sure if any Aussie stores have Duratrax hopups or parts, but my young fella likes this rig [url]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LA2548& amp;P=1[/url]unfortunatly they dont send 1/8 scale rigs to Oz
is a damn pitty casue the Mad Armour looks great [url]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LA2592& amp;P=1[/url]anyway on the hunt still and maybe you guys could suggest some other rigs maybe suitable for off road thrashing

cheers

carnage

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
CARNAGE said:
...iam not sure if any Aussie stores have Duratrax hopups or parts

Just an odd rhethorical question...

If everyone buys their toy cars from mailorder US/Asia... why would you even expect Aussie hobby stores to carry parts for them??

(That like owning a grey-import Corvette, and expecting your town's Holden dealer to have a full stock of spares & Callaway speed bits.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah good point,but on further searching duratrax gear is available in OZ,in quite a few places,so far it looks good for one of there rigs, if i cant get a few parts in OZ ill just get em from USA all is good,thansk for the input zoomer

cheers

carnage

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep duratraxx look pretty good,

dunno about parts..never seen any off there stuff down here in tas!!

Nismo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts