Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys after problems last week with a starting problem I thought I would get myself a starter box to make life easier.

Picked up a starter box to (twin 550 motors, either 2 x 7.2 batteries or a 12 volt ) anyhow it would not turn the rex x over ( force .21 ) back to the LHS & they test it...with the good compression when cold it was no good.

Loosen glow plug & it turned, it would now turn over the engine but the owner thought it be a little on the weak side.

I check out other options, he has a 12 volt Hyper starter box with a large 12 v motor, it's turns the .21 over a treat. Jobs done I return home with the hyper pro HS-101.

It turns over the Rex but won't fire, looks fast enough to start. it starts ok on the pull start. When cranking on the box the pull start is kicking or jumping should the pull start be removed or is it a question of crank speed or the one way bearing playing up.

At $150.00 for the starter box I want the bloody thing to work, any ideas guys.

Other wise it's back to the LHS again next week & look like a dick....!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just a thought...mine used to kick like that once...it was spinning the wrong way...it might be worth at least checking it?...even now to start my Hyper .21 I have to loosen the glow plug a bit for a cold start.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MadMan said:
Just a thought...mine used to kick like that once...it was spinning the wrong way...it might be worth at least checking it?...even now to start my Hyper .21 I have to loosen the glow plug a bit for a cold start.

Checked the direction several times & it looks ok but will double check.

Yea the guy in the LHS loosened the plug to start with but when it turned over ok I thought the problem was fixed, this is harder than the pull start....LOL

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MadMan said:

Just checked the direction of rotation again & it is correct, I even reversed the leads to check & being a DC motor it just went the other way.

I might try loosing the glow plug then start (if it plays the game) but it should work IMHO for the money conserned.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is your starter box set up right?...It should spin up to full speed before making contact with the flywheel. You get used to it pretty quick! When my engines arehot they fire up with barely a touch...but when cold they hardly turn even with the glow plug loosened up...I wish I had a portable hair dryer so I could heat up the block first on those really cold days.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The hyper starter box works for me on my Rex-x with RB WS7II using the original flywheel.

But I did have to make the flywheel hole just a fraction wider for the starter wheel to make good contact with the flywheel. If you've got little rubber shavings everywhere then you will at least need to take the sharp edges off the sides of the hole.

I'm using 4Ah SLA batteries on the starter box. It works well, but I need to charge them up properly after each nights racing.

Personally, I'd stick with the pull start. I cut a small section of the body away so that I didn't have to unclip it to start, and only ever used short pulls on the starter. After priming the engine, it nearly always started within 3 pulls and there was a lot less to carry around.

It should work for you though. I think that if you were turning the motor the wrong way it would have broken the pull start or one-way bearing pretty quickly. The default wiring (red wire to battery's positive, etc) turns my engine in the correct direction.

Cheers! Oggy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ogier said:
The hyper starter box works for me on my Rex-x with RB WS7II using the original flywheel.

But I did have to make the flywheel hole just a fraction wider for the starter wheel to make good contact with the flywheel. If you've got little rubber shavings everywhere then you will at least need to take the sharp edges off the sides of the hole.

I'm using 4Ah SLA batteries on the starter box. It works well, but I need to charge them up properly after each nights racing.

Personally, I'd stick with the pull start. I cut a small section of the body away so that I didn't have to unclip it to start, and only ever used short pulls on the starter. After priming the engine, it nearly always started within 3 pulls and there was a lot less to carry around.

It should work for you though. I think that if you were turning the motor the wrong way it would have broken the pull start or one-way bearing pretty quickly. The default wiring (red wire to battery's positive, etc) turns my engine in the correct direction.

Cheers! Oggy.

Thanks Graham, I noted that the cutout is rather small for the starter wheel & looked at opening it up. Is your hyper box the plastic one ?

myrex starts pretty good when cold, real good when hot & only plays up when inbetween.

I think the hyper motor is a bit funny cause some times I have to move the wheel to get it to start turning...bad spot on the comm. perhaps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Is that a Hyper (8 port) engine you've got?

I should have mentioned this part of my experience then - when cold, starting the engine can be difficult if the piston gets caught at TDC because of the strong "pinch" in the sleeve. I think this will be common for most high performance/race motors, but not necessarily a Force 21 4Port.

When this happens, I have to wind the flywheel back so that the starter can have another run-up at kicking the motor over. Once the engine is primed, it seems that the lubrication helps to get the engine turning and then it fires shortly after that.

Is that what you're experiencing?

Also, after I widened the hole in the chassis, it started much more easily. It didn't need much, basically I just turned the square edge into an angled one. The hole is probably no wider.

Oh yeah, it's the all-plastic hyper starter box too. I've strapped 2x 6V batteries to it that I had lying around. At first they could only start the car a few times before losing charge, but the use & recharging has brought them back to life and they almost last a while now.

Ciao! Oggy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts