Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok i must come clean AUSRC i cheated in you with some other forum it was a once off and i am sorry :(
anyway i was told that the Spektrum DX3S has very c*** range and is no good for a baja due to the fact that you can drive it further away and that the radio would cut out at about 200 feet or when it was not in line of site
has anyone ever had this before

·
Registered
504 Posts
I read this too, but when I bought my Baja I already had a DX3S so I thought I'd try it before buying a new radio just for that.
After extensive testing here in the dunes in Roxby Downs I can report that I haven't had any of the range issues other uses have complained about, but I still read new complaints about it, so I can't explain why they have problems and I don't.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
i use SR3000 RXes in my Bajas, the (stock length) aerial is long enough to exit the box and go up about 3-4" of tube.

dunno what you'd with the SR300 and its tiny aerial wire

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use the sr 300 , with its tiny little aerial. I have had no range issues or glitching issues . The aerial dosent even poke out of the bajas shell .lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the DX3s and had no issues up to at least 100-150m but in saying that, I just purchased the 4pk as I will not take the chance, with a buggy worth as much as the baja, I went all the way... I will report back on the Futaba when it arrives.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I've never understood you folks who want to drive your vehicles that far away from you, so that they appear to be the size of an ant in the distance

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never understood you folks who want to drive your vehicles that far away from you, so that they appear to be the size of an ant in the distance
I never get it further than 150m either, no point, can't see it. However when I need to sleep at night justifying a new purchase I say things like "it has WAAAAY better range than XYZ, THAT'S why I bought it" ;)

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
ive always run a DX3S on my largescales and never had range issues

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The telemetry signal drops out after 70 meters or so, I think you will find that is what people complain about

Actual radio range is fine

Cheers

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
good point, telemetry range is crap but I dont use any of that anymore, dont have to worry about temps and rx voltage (as much) now that im into largescale.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have seen two DX3s radios completely lose a vehicle not 50 yards away. We did a range check and no probs up to 200 yards - but without fail a bit of bashing around and even within line of sight the DX3s was glitching inside of 50 metres.

Not all of them do it but a few do and at around $300 a few is too many.

Quality control from Spektrum would appear non existent on a few too many products for my liking.

Spectrum don;t seem to have an answer about any of this and choose to hide.

Shame though because when they work they are a joy to use.

EDIT: This unit was using the DSM1 receiver with telemetry. The telemetry was useless beyond 20 metres

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Never had an issue with mine on multiple 1/16 and 1/10 cars

Not sure I would pay the $399 that aussie shops charge for one, I got mine from HK for $230 18 months ago

My DX6I has also been fautless on multiple helis / planes

Cheers

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
yeah i should have looked around before I bought mine, got it a while ago but $400 for a DX3S!

i heard a few stories of the earlier ones glitching but since they came out with DSM2 i dont believe there were any more problems.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i will get one from rchobbies for $249
You do realise that they don't come with the DSM2 receivers?

If you can have a look at the Futaba 3PM-X - it's the same price and a hell of a lot........

http://www.spxracing.com/_webContent/itemView.aspx?stockUID=63f05436-ed48-4af8-83de-aacb72218289

IF you are certain you want a Spektrum then the Dx3R is the one to get as it comes with the dsm2 receiver and jettisons the completely useless telemetry functions.

EDIT: By the time you get the DSM2 module [ lmeant receiver] for the DX3s it will cost you as much if not more than the Dx3R

cheers

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
ill check tonight but im pretty sure that my DX3S came with two DSM2 rx's one with telemetry and one with out.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The DX3s doesnt need a module to work with DSM2 receivers, you just need to buy the relevant receiver

It's packaged with two DSM receivers (SR3300t and SR300)

For the average joe blow I dont think he could tell much difference between the 11 and 16.5 millisecond frame rates

DX3R would definately be the one to grab if you were racing

I do agree that their pricing is high compared to their competitors

That Futaba 3PM looks pretty damn good

Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts