its roof, whick it seemed to spend alot of time doing. We tried a few
different ideas to increase stability, like putting batteries in for
added weight but no success ..... Next time our savages are
broekn we might break out the old rocket car again to see if we can get
it relaible.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Mmmmm... the only comment that comes to mind is...

"Some people have way too much time on their hands."

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its just a tamiya car I bought from dick smiths for 10 bucks, never
installed the motor or anything. Strapped an " A " sized solid fuel
rocket motor to it, held in place with some small zip ties.

Not much else other than cheap thrills

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
I think you needed to put ballbearings in that... and the one-way wheels.

(motto: Any Tamiya is not a good Tamiya unless you can spend crazy $$ hopping it up!)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the same car sitting on my moniter. Its a manta ray. mine is hopped up with plasma dash motor and bearings

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
yeah many yrs ago a friend bought the championship track (well he actually bought 2 sets and built them into one huge track) so we decided to beat him at his own game.

In space of a few wks, we bought a few dozen cars and all the options... lord knows how much we spent.
... guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.

Body of choice then (from memory) was the Beat Magnum... loaded with small-size reston foam tyres, oneway wheels, lightweight axles, motor heatsink, bearings, gold contacts, alloy pinions and best motor by far is the Plasma. Then you had the handling options... the damper FRP front roller, high-mount rear roller, ballbearing rollers, the anti-flipover side sticks with the white balls on top hahaha...

Then there was some FF car with the front motor; that was quicker on some track layouts.

After that crazy month was over... I built a ltd-edn Astute kit into a shelfqueen with some leftover new parts - $200 worth... sigh. Its got the Plasma, large-size chrome wire-spoke wheels, lightweight hollow axles, gold Tamiya alkaline AAs.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
I am so bad...
... even my "NIB" kits start collecting options.

Bought some red Tamiya dampers & red wheelnuts... and stashed them into the Surikarn kitbox. Still waiting on some red ballscrews. The 414M2's kitbox has already gained the SSG plates, wheels, Tamiya SuperMod motor, world champ swaybars. TA04PRO box is chockers too... SSG plates, TRF shocks.... sigh.

Shelfqueen EvoIII is starting to look boring in green... body is painted blue... hmmm....

Damned sight cheaper than playing with 1:1s though!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I too have that VS Chassis Manta Ray. I got mine in the mail for free from Dick smith, because they put up the price before they were even available again! I also got Top Force, and gave that to a mate who shared the interest, but shortly after I learned he was a real looser..

In the past I did have The Terra Conqueror, Astute Jnr, and Nissan King Cab --> What a torquey machine that was.

Recently I did get the Avante 2001 from Big W for my nephew, but I don't think he felt the same way I did!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts