Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

it looks to be a weird style MSC, very weird, there is wire wrapper
around a cylinder , only good think i like about it is the wire is that
really soft flexy wire...

any one know if its an old vintage one, new style, i have never seen it before, btw its never been used by the looks of it

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Your guess is right... its a very old-style MSC. Its called "wiperblade" style and we used them in the 1970s. Even Tamiya had their own - the early Tamiya F1s and 1/12s used them.

That wire coil is also the resistor, middle is 'neutral'. Either far end is full speed fwd or reverse.

Only problem with them is that the coil (=resistor) also gets very hot and current handling is only so-so. The contact between coil and wiper is also dodgy when dirty.

But... it is INFINITELY VARIABLE between 0-100%, not just 3-steps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1970's aye...hmmm ill take $50 min for it..lol..

i notice there is no plug to go into RX, hmmmm???

there is SONG written up the top left in small letters...

are these hard to come by??..i have never seen one before...

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
You never see it becoz no sane person would bother using it... if lucky worth like $2 or less.

That one is probably made recently by some asian mass producer for use in some plastic toy. Most of them stopped making those things after it became cheaper to build ESC+RX units for the cheapo RC toys that China pumps out in the millions today.

No plug for RX because you're expected to usethe 4xAA cell holder for it. When that thing was invented there wasn't such thing as "BEC"... BEC only came in the mid 1980s.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
RoughRider shouldn't have a wirecoil MSC, it came with a 2-step rotary MSC with external ceramic resistor that sat on top of the gearcase.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahhaha you go zoomer...lol....

ahhh i think ill just take the wires of and scrap in then,

thanks

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Why not just chuck it into the junk box in the garage, you never know when it might come in handy...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
junk pile ehh, cleaned that out a few days ago, some of it on its ways to melb tommorow

nah i dont reckon ill use it, in the same package from mymate in the
netherlands i got a NIP tamiya MSC, with all the screws(really cool
gunmetal colour screws)

a little green manual with 2WD monster truck on it, and a plastic cover
for the MSC...also had a used MSC in there as well, im pretty much set
if i happen to blow a esc up again

Nismo

·
Registered
158 Posts
i disagree, its that that has been improved to genrate todays msc *cough* and escs without the past there is no future

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
true true.

but why go back to the MSC when you got esc's???

that speedo is nearly the same as the old tamiya ones,

Nismo

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
OK, I'm embarrassed to say this... but I'll say it anyway,

"The one in my Tamiya Frog still works fine."

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Frog one is good.

Its a modern 3-step one... AND its placed high on the chassis with good airflow (note the cutout in the body!) and Tamiya gave you a balloon to cover it with.

The resistors are placed at the back where there's also good airflow and its 2 separate smaller resistors = more surface area.

As for the "best" (ie mosy fancy) MSC ever invented... Tamiya made an electro-mechanical speed controller that used transistorised pulse motor control, activated by microswitches that were controlled by the throttle servo. This unit appeared in the 1978 Hilux truck... a bloody amazing creation.

Something along the same lines appeared in the Monster Dump Truck kit, some 21 yrs later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts