Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1, how many light bulbs will i need to make a discharger for Nicad packs??..

i heard each bulb is 1 amp??...so how many amps do i discharge at??

2, whats the difference charging at say 4amps, compared to 1amp??..

3, i seen 20gauge wire i think it was, at the LHS, there was say 15
bits of wire, all about 7-8inch's long, whats that wire for??..is that
like a less resistance wire or something, i seen some wire that was
braided???

thanks

Nismo

·
Registered
709 Posts
ROFL... Wat ya do right is pop your meter box and find the LIGHTS swith and connect this DIRECTLY to your NICAD pack....ROFL....

The slower amps u charge at the better life for your battery....right?? ie charge at 4amp((15 mins) longer run time thansay 8amp for 15min-would give u quick burst of power but lack in run time and battery life??

I might be COMPLETELY RONG!

hmmm Briaded wire.... whips and chains maybe!?

now its just babble....

Actually.....DONT connect that ni-cad pack.........

hi nismo..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ROFL... Wat ya do right is pop your meter box and find the
LIGHTS swith and connect this DIRECTLY to your NICAD
pack....ROFL....

ahahha 20second discharge...lol

Nismo

·
Registered
793 Posts
when you charge at 4 amps your putting 4 amps of current through the battery to charge it, You might be able to charge your pack at 1 amp but if it would work it would take a hell of a long time. 1 amp charge rates are used to charge rx packs...

i think the term 'gauge' detrrmines the thickness, maybe the wire you saw was less resitance as you said, thats the whole pont of a wire right?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Higher rates of charge give better performance... usual idea is that you charge it depending on how you drain it. Fast charge for high drain, trickle charge for low drain. A pack charged at 4A will be livelier than one charged at 1A for high drain usage.

2 rules with charging current:-

#1: any good peak charger should be able to so "3C" where C is the battery capacity. eg if its 1200mAh don't charge at any more than 3x1200 = 3600mA = 3.6A. Do 3C and it should take 20-25 mins for a full charge.

#2: Don't go over 5A in any event.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yeah, I used brake light bulbs - they've got 2 filaments (21W & 5W). Put them all in parallel, used both filaments. 8 of them suck about 10A from 7.2V.

Other alternative is... check out the $2 shops. Sometimes they sell cheap 12V car trouble lights that plug into the ciggy socket. Just think of them as a ready-made bulb holder... get a few of them and just wire them all together in parallel.

If you use naked bulbs be careful. Bulbs get pretty hot and can smash. A bunch of the trouble lights is safer.

There is no harm discharging nicads until 0V, but do not do it to NiMH.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Gidday all,

I've just bought a Venom discharger for about $22 at my LHS.

It cuts out at a certain voltage so as not to drain the battery completely - (apparently, a complete drain is bad for them - something to do with the battery's memory.)

By the time you buy all the bits and pieces, you'd probably come up close to $22 anyway!

Cheers,

Steve

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Is there anything wrong with chargers like the Ansman one that have a discharger built in?

I just figured every 5th or so charge of the batteryI would discharge it before recharging it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts