Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if there any decent hobby shops around Brissy ? I've tried Hobby One which is where I bought my stampede from originally and they are good for Traxxas parts but when it comes to hop ups, its crap. Just before Chrissy I have tried to order a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem motor and have yet to hear anything despite going in 3 - 4 times, at least I didn't put any money down. I also tried to purchase that same motor through Springwood Mr Toys and the kid behind the counter asked me for a part #, what, don't they have catalogues in the store ?! I know this motor is available in Australia as the guys on the Outerlimits forums have talked about em. So I decided I want brushless, do it once, never f*** around again. I don't want to own a maxx or savage, just want the right gear for my truck. So back to the question being any good shops in Brisbane ?

·
Registered
561 Posts
goto Monster Truck Parts Australia

Although, if you are already familiar with outerlimits you should know
about those guys. they specalize in elec. crawler monster trucks. I
have to get some magnetic mayhems , for my clod and for my
txt 1. MTPA also stock another high turn / high torque motor thats
close to the magnetic mayhem, cant recall its name though.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mr Toys at springwood is EXCELLENT.

I started going to hobbyone with my old electric car but i got sick of their crappy service and long waiting times, and having to book my car in to get fixed so i went and had a look at mr toys at springwood and at first i wassnt too sure, but now i know the guys there its much more helpful than hobbyone.

Also, the guys at hobbyone wouldnt believe me that a S-25 from a savage is a force engine but the first time the manager of mr toys saw it he said "thats a force isnt it".

Great service, i recommend them over hobbyone.

AUSRC should be able to say a few words about mr toys as well, he used to go there with his terra if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
472 Posts
mr toys springwood is pretty good...dont even think of buying hop ups from them tho...$140 if i member right for a reverse module :S

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't want to sound like a whinger or anything but am wondering if there really is a decent hobby shop to buy or order from. Obviously it sounds to me that we are all in the same boat. I guess I'm gonna have to pay off the credit card asap so i can order what i want from Tower Hobbies.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mr Toys at springwood have ordered one or two things for my Savage, and my old electric truck they ordered stuff for me. So maybe go and check it out, their service is much better and more friendly and laid back than hobbyone.

·
Registered
472 Posts
also check out mrc model car parts for savage stuff...mark is the best bar none!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Springwood Mr Toys looked pretty good last time I was there... how about that big warehouse place Hobbyrama or something?

·
Registered
477 Posts
yeh ok old thread but.. heres my opinion..

mr toys toyworld.. way over priced.. dont consider buying hop-ups from there..

hobbyone- the worst of them all.. takes ages to get parts in/ cheaqp cars.. but expensive parts and accesories..

hobbyrama- all in all pretty good..alright prices..

Hobby Haven (burleigh) the shop i goto..
a little on the expensive side for buying trucks..cars are good price..hop ups.. pretty cheap (cheaper than us dollers for my xfactor)

Budget Hobbies (capalaba) pretty cheap for cars/trucks.. not sur eon hop ups though..

hope that helps a little..

ryan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ok, we all agree on one thing - Hobby One, poor all round. I walked out of the store when making my purchase of my first proper r/c, my TL01. They wouldn't sell me the Sanwa unit I wanted to go with my TL01 Mugen NSX. They wanted to sell the Hi-Tec Ranger II, which I really didn't like. They wouldn't haggle on the price either, we're talking about a $370+ deal here!

So off to HobbyRama we went, made a deal with the guy there, Mugen TL01, Sanwa Dash tx (just as I wanted it), Arlec 147 DC peak charger (never had a drama, and it's 5amp too!), Tamiya RC1400mah racing pack, and a can of blue mettalic paint, all up about $340! Keep in mind these prices are Jan '03, so it was a great deal at the time.

I only buy from Hobbyrama at Stafford, and Mr Toys Toyworld at Mt Gravatt, **** is a top bloke, often discounts items, and always helpful.

Remember people, marked price isn't everything. RRP means bugger all. Always ask for the best price, or tell them what you want to pay for the item.

I have bought stuff from eBay sellers, Fuzz Racing, oz-rc and have had no drama's.

·
Registered
561 Posts
In the few dealings I have had with hobbyrama at stafford, Id have to
rate their service as poor, below average to say the least. Their
prices are quite high ( a HPI ribbed tuned pipe for a savage was
$120 , hot stuff fuel 25 % is 20 bucks a litre ) . They dont really
seem too interested in helping unless they can see a sale coming their
way.

On the other hand Hobby Garage, right next to Mr Toys Lawnton is quite
helpful and realistic and honest. Its not a huge shop but for things
like temp monitors, failsafes, batteries and chargers I wouldnt go past
them. Very helpful and full of advice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
hi guys, i'm new to this post and it looks great.

anyway my thoughts on hobby shopd in bris.

ToyWorld/Mt Gravatt - this store is very handy for me as it's a 2 minute drive to get there. They don't like honouring the warranties. I've had nemerous problems with car which comes under the warranty, and they always say 'it's my fault'. Also prices are very high. From what i've worked out they have about a 200% mark up.

Hobbyone - Very poor service, and staff don't really have much knowledge on products. They won't help you at all unless you have brought that product from there, or if they have a sale coming their way.

Toy World/ Springwwood - Once again very high prices. Don't seem to have much knowledge.(might with certain cars??) They don't really seem to want to help you unless you are going to buy something.

Hobby Shop(i think thats what it's called)/Capalaba - only been there once, but they seem to have OK service. From what i've heard they can order most parts in a week or so.

Southside Hobbies/Buranda-Stones Corner - mainly planes and boats, but are starting to stock some cars, mainly on road, and some buggies. Prices are quite good if they have what you need. They can order in parts, but have never ordered through them. They are also very helpful. They seem to have loyal small regular customer group.

just my two cents worth. Very hard to find someplace that has what you want.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Everything that has been said in this post has reinforced my view to
buy overseas. People say that you go to a hobby shop for service
and warranty claims. When warranty claims are refused it just
makes you wonder why you spent so much money buying locally in the
first place.

It seems like I get better service from ebay and more information from forums.

Sorry to hijack the thread

·
Registered
270 Posts
The only decent hobby shop i have been in, is hobby garage very helpfull and is prolly the only one that doesnt bag HPI.

Mr Toys at kawana, sh*tloads of knowlage but over priced.

I just stick to good ol reliable MRC.

·
Registered
303 Posts
More about warranty claims:

All LHS products are covered by warranty for distrubutors, LHS have to determine if it warranty orif its failed due to owner not following instructions.

I inform all my customer about how warranty works before they buy a kit or RTR, if a customer is adament that its failed because of bad workman ship i will send it away at my cost but if distrubutor fails to look after it LHS cant do much execpt try to give the customer a good price to fix it.

I wont lie there have been very frustrating issues where customer have brought in cars that have had failed because of bad receivers and distrbutors has failed to replace them, but these case are rare.

When u go into LHS with warranty claim go in there with positive atitude and not with atitude that it all there fault, we are there to help and it doesnt help when people are losing the plot about something that out of our control.

If you still think there is an issue and it should be taken under warranty you have rights and by visiting you local department of fair trading you can express your rights and get government assitance in helping you in the issue.

Feel free to drop me a line and im more than happy to help.

·
Registered
561 Posts
jist said:
Hobby Shop(i think thats what it's called)/Capalaba -
only been there once, but they seem to have OK service. From what i've
heard they can order most parts in a week or so.

Their name is Budget Hobbies and I have found them to be on par with
Hobby Garage. Helpful and very friendly. I will admit though I have
never had a warranty claim with any of the shops in SEQ.

Regards

Dan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts