Not good for the battery certainly, but its not gunna explode.... yet.
Usual stick batteries are covered in many layers of shrink wrapping, plastic end caps, manufacturer's label etc etc. All this will protect your actual cells from most damage.
If you have managed to wear thru to the METAL bits... unlikely, but not impossible - just cover the exposed bits with a little silicone sealant, or electrical tape etc etc.
Its more likely that you'll damage the wires say by dragging on the ground, exposing the copper. As long as the copper wire isn't broken, just cover that up with shrinktube or electrical tape - never let the battery short out!!
If you have managed to wear right thru the cell's metal case and the insides are now oozing out... or if you've short-circuited or badly overcharged the battery so that the plastic wrapping has melted off... dare say your battery is cactus. Time for a new one.