Australian RC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I know they wont go after individual people, but it's not that.
it's the ethics and point behind what they're doing.
Lol,

What about the ethics of what youtubes been doin for years allowing all that copyrighted material to be put up on youtube ?
Providing a free service to the people.
that's kind of like South Park being downloaded, Matt Stone and Trey Parker don't care, they just want people to watch their show.
If people like an episode or two or a show they saw on YOUTUBE, they will go out and buy it/watch it on TV for the better quality.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Providing a free service to the people.
Napster tried that defence and look what happened to them. Hopefully youtube will end up the same.

that's kind of like South Park being downloaded, Matt Stone and Trey Parker don't care, they just want people to watch their show.
And what about the people who do care?

If people like an episode or two or a show they saw on YOUTUBE, they will go out and buy it/watch it on TV for the better quality.
Some will whilst others will just hit the torrents.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Chizz - you are wrong on your arguments, young fella. Skidd called trumps and it stands. You do not own your IP address. It is attached to you via the service provider - even if you rent it, you still don't own it. You are paying the owner for the use of it.

Re: the IP sending etc - again, you are arguing a moot point. The reason every one of those site has a privacy / disclaimer attached to it, is to enable them to do what they like with what you as a user give them by interacting.

http://www.google.com.au/intl/en/privacy.html - FYI.

Research first, then argue an informed point instead of an assumed opinion.

Also mate - it is a little hypocritical to argue this:

I know they wont go after individual people, but it's not that.
it's the ethics and point behind what they're doing.
Considering the amount of pirated software and movies you have obtained via your torrents etc. Don't be surprised if reality pokes its head around the corner and takes something back every now and then.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Uh oh... Does this mean chizzy could get bitten on the ass.. uming for pirating movies, software, and the like??? :eek:

No wonder you don't want them having your ISP!

You naughty, naughty boy.... :nono:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Damnit ! You 2 got in just before i could bring up that point !

:D

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Amazing. someone should take chizzs shovel away, he just digs himself in deeper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Google does not own my IP Address, so why do they have the right to hand it out without permission?
that would be like me handing out stolen property because i 'own' it, because i have it in my possession.
Dude, Every time you do something on the internet you're 'handing out' your IP address... The forum admins here have your IP address. Every time you send an email, the person you send to gets your email address. Every webpage you look at, the web server gets, and logs, your IP address. Having an IP address means nothing, it's NOT personal information, it's how the internet works. In fact, with that IP address, anyone who has a half an ounce of knowledge about the internet can find out your ISP and probably the city you live in. To get personal information from an IP address, someone needs to go to your service provider with a court order.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Napster tried that defence and look what happened to them. Hopefully youtube will end up the same.
you want youtube to die?
WTF is wrong with you?
And what about the people who do care?
Matt Stone and Trey Parker made, and still own the copywrights to south park, IE: if they're fine with people downloading it, then you can download it.

Some will whilst others will just hit the torrents.
and the torrents have the same-ish quality as such online places to view it, maybe slightly higher resolution.

As for me torrenting,
My ethics are fine.
i only download movies that are not out in australia, and the same goes for games.
i don't download software other than that which i may have owned in the past,

(IE; Crysis - lost the disc, still have my original CD-key, so i downloaded it.
shoot me.)

·
Registered
717 Posts
you want youtube to die?
WTF is wrong with you?
OMG you're right! YouTube IS the internet! What on earth was I thinking!?!?!

I want them to take responsibility for their actions. That's all. If people use their service to distribute copyright infringing material and they do nothing try an stop it why shouldn;t they be held responsible? If napster got owned, why shouldn't youtube? It's not as if they are short of funds to pay the fine.

i only download movies that are not out in australia, and the same goes for games.
blah blah blah, yak yak yak. I've heard it all before. Haven't you heard of amazon? Or any other american based distributor of DVDs or games? oh thats right, they ask for money in exchange for goods.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I suppose this thread has some merits... but I can't see too many. And if it keeps going along the track it's following, it might get a bit messy.

Can the mods have a little scrutinize... or am I just being picky?? :(

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
As for me torrenting,
My ethics are fine.
i don't download software other than that which i may have owned in the past,

(IE; Crysis - lost the disc, still have my original CD-key, so i downloaded it.
shoot me.)
I used to own a falcon GT. I did so many burnouts, the tire tread was lost. I stole new tires because I bought some initially...

They don't release Acuras here in Aus - so I stole one of them also.

You use google for free. You use youtube for free. When they use something of yours for free, that they outline they probably will in their disclosure statement - you play 'poor me' and jump up on an illigitimate soapbox?

Leave it go Chizz. Dissappointment is growing.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Amazing. someone should take chizzs shovel away, he just digs himself in deeper.
Skidd already tried by doing him the favour of not continuing his argument, but then he learned how to use his hands. Sucks for him I guess...

Chizz, downloading any type of copyrighted material without any type of payment is wrong, end of story. However people like you still do it of course, because it makes you bad-ass. The reasoning behind why you download stuff as you stated above couldn't have sounded more stupid. I'm sure whoever makes 'Crisis' doesn't mind that you're a ''sped'' (as you've called me on a previous occasion) and lost your beloved computer game so you should be free to illegally download a new one! Not their fault you lost it mate, but of course nothings your fault, I mean, it's South Parks' creators' fault that you're illegally downloading their show... Yeah... Course...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Skidd already tried by doing him the favour of not continuing his argument, but then he learned how to use his hands. Sucks for him I guess...

Chizz, downloading any type of copyrighted material without any type of payment is wrong, end of story. However people like you still do it of course, because it makes you bad-ass. The reasoning behind why you download stuff as you stated above couldn't have sounded more stupid. I'm sure whoever makes 'Crisis' doesn't mind that you're a ''sped'' (as you've called me on a previous occasion) and lost your beloved computer game so you should be free to illegally download a new one! Not their fault you lost it mate, but of course nothings your fault, I mean, it's South Parks' creators' fault that you're illegally downloading their show... Yeah... Course...
You misspelled 'Crysis', and the makers;aka Crytek; are not like EA.
the only reason you cannot back it up on ISO in case you lose your disc is because EA didn't want Crytek to allow this.
thus the original makers i believe would not be apposed to personal backup (as they originally released Far Cry and it is now free from them, just will cost money due to EA milking the public), and besides, WTF do they care if i download it, I'VE ALREADY BOUGHT IT.

and i don't do it to be badass, if i did it to be badass i would have already filled up my HDD with useless programs, movies, TV shows & games.
If i did it to be badass, my ipod wouldn't have 70gb free.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Im going to use this 'Chizz defense' the next time I get a speeding fine.

But your honour, the RTA and NSW police photographed my number plate, that is personal information and belongs to me! they have no right to give my information over to the state debt recovery office!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Im going to use this 'Chizz defense' the next time I get a speeding fine.

But your honour, the RTA and NSW police photographed my number plate, that is personal information and belongs to me! they have no right to give my information over to the state debt recovery office!
yes, a speeding ticket is EXACTLY the same as your online browsing history being given to a random company.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Case Closed.

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/07/15/149202.shtml

Barence, following up on yesterday's news that Viacom is looking for videos uploaded by Google staff, links to an article at PC Pro, excerpting: "Google and Viacom have reached a deal to protect the privacy of millions of YouTube watchers. Earlier this month, a New York federal judge ordered Google to turn over YouTube user data to Viacom and other plaintiffs to help them prepare a confidential study of what they argue are vast piracy violations on the video-sharing site. Google claims it had now agreed to provide plaintiffs' attorneys with a version of a massive viewership database that blanks out YouTube usernames and IP addresses that could be used to identify individual video watchers."

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
WTF?
the system actually works..?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts