Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/07/judge-orders-yo.html

that's right,
your IP Address, Name, and browsing history is going to be FREELY GIVEN OUT to an american company you have probably never heard of, even if you are not from america.
It seems the American court system thinks the ENTIRE WORLD should be spied apon.
Wonder how the public are going to react to hearing the news about their IP address being given to a company they have never heard of?

I'm Starting to wonder why i'm not supporting terrorism :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
they are using the data against youtube, not individual users.

viewing copyright material on youtube is youtubes fault, not your own.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I have heard of Viacom and I'm sure lots of other people have to...

Other then that, the information is being used in a legal matter. It's not just being handed out like you stated. I couldn't care less if they had my IP address. I mean really, what are they going to do with it?

I think you have been watching too many TV shows!

By the way - what does this have to do with terrorism. Please explain?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you're ok with some random guy from a company in america looking at what you watch, where you live, and your personal details in general, because an american judge said they could?

·
Registered
717 Posts
so you're ok with some random guy from a company in america looking at what you watch, where you live, and your personal details in general, because an american judge said they could?
Couldn't care less, as I don;t watch copyright infringing material on youtube. So my ip isn't even going to rate on the radar.

Your comment about terrorism defies belief.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's not going to be some random dude getting his jollies off from seeing what people are looking at? Lay off the caffeine man.

Do you think Viacom is going to get the data and then chuck it up on there servers for everyone to browse and 'find out who been looking at what'

Are you worried that there going to see all your views of Chris Crockers videos and all your comments to him...?

(For all those that don't know, Chris Crocker is the 'Leave Britney alone boy/girl/fruitcake. Youtube it, you'll see what I mean)

Caleb - Your comment about terrorism defies belief
Dragged that one from way out in left field.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
For a start, if a company wants any information beyond my IP address and what ive viewed, they has to contact my ISP. unlike most my ISP doesnt just hand out that info willy nilly, nor do they bother me about illegal downloads i may or may not perform.

As I said before, they arent using this data to prosecute individual users. They are using to to prosecute youtube. They require the data to show the court how many violations youtube has performed by hosting copyright material and enabling it to be shared. At the very worst, they will then go after the people that uploaded the video.

Viacom couldnt care less about the end viewer. they can sue them all they like but it will take forever to get their money out of them. Suing youtube who has lots of money is a much better option.

They are primarily suing them for the purpose of proving googles software does not adequately filter copyrighted material and remove it.

The most information they are going to have is 'IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx viewed 200 clips of Family Guy via Youtube' and as the provider of the service, google is responsible for distribution. They arent going to go through FOUR TERABYTES of data and look up each and every single person and prosecute them. there is no money in suing individual users, and theres no cases won against individuals to date.

Stop overreacting.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
For a start, if a company wants any information beyond my IP address and what ive viewed, they has to contact my ISP. unlike most my ISP doesnt just hand out that info willy nilly, nor do they bother me about illegal downloads i may or may not perform.
That's not very special..
same goes for me.

but my point still remains,
what right does an american judge have to hand over peoples PERSONAL records to someone (or company) without that specific persons consent?
is that even LEGAL in australia?
I don't recall signing a disclaimer/TOS for a company called Viacom?

and no, i don't care if they view what i've been watching either, but it's the point that counts.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
what right does an american judge have to hand over peoples PERSONAL records to someone (or company) without that specific persons consent?
They are not your records that are being handed over, they are the records that belong to Google.

Google tracks who (by IP) looks at it's service and who posts stuff (by IP & username). This shouldn't surprise you. The judge requires Google to hand over it's records and by you using its service you are part of it's records.

Just like if you went into a shop and that shop was targeted by shoplifters then the police may require the store CCTV footage to be produced... do you think that the shop owner needs your permission to release the footage? No, they don't... they will do what is asked because the footage of you in their store is their property, not yours.

This forum tracks the IP of all people who browse, post or use its services, if the site owner recieved a legal request to provide those records because a crime was being investigated you can bet he'd hand them over... and no, I don't imagine he'd seek your permission. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are not your records that are being handed over, they are the records that belong to Google.

Google tracks who (by IP) looks at it's service and who posts stuff (by IP & username). This shouldn't surprise you. The judge requires Google to hand over it's records and by you using its service you are part of it's records.
Google does not own my IP Address, so why do they have the right to hand it out without permission?
that would be like me handing out stolen property because i 'own' it, because i have it in my possession.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Besides The Point Stop Bickering ,theres Nothing You Can Do About It , Its Crap , I Know But Theres No Use Crying Over Spilt Milk.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Besides The Point Stop Bickering ,theres Nothing You Can Do About It , Its Crap , I Know But Theres No Use Crying Over Spilt Milk.
Yet people power can destroy even the most poweful weapons.
oh, the irony.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts

Google does not own my IP Address, so why do they have the right to hand it out without permission?
that would be like me handing out stolen property because i 'own' it, because i have it in my possession.
What? you dont even own the cabling in your home that provides your connection, what makes you think you own the IP address?

The only situation where this would be bad is if Viacom went after an ISP and was handed everyones personal details linked to the IP. At this stage they have no idea who you are besides a number amongst billions of others.

If viacom wanted to get you for watching stuff on youtube they would have done it by now. its easier to cut the tree down at the roots than leaf by leaf.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts

You don't own your IP, your ISP does.

If you want something to worry about consider the practice of a lot of retailers here in Australia.... Have you ever bought anything by credit card in ToysRus? They swipe your card into their Point Of Sale (POS) system and then swipe your card into the EFTPOS system to deduct from your account. Try asking them why they need to swipe your card into their POS system. Ask them what information is recorded when they do that... see if you like their answer.

Chizz, I'm not going to go around in circles with you on this anymore. Clearly you don't really have an informed opinion on what is 'your personal information' and what isn't.

Have fun with it, but I've had enough.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What? you dont even own the cabling in your home that provides your connection, what makes you think you own the IP address?
How so?
i think i own the IP Address because we are paying the ISP money to have it.
thus PAYING for it makes it ours, even so if it is a rental.

next EG:
you were renting a plasma, said person steals plasma, then resells it.
according to whats happening here, that person that stole it OWNED that plasma, therefore it was their right to sell it.
i don't know about you, but i don't think someone who steals something owns it, and therefore does NOT have the right to give it to someone else;
IE: America giving my IP address to a company, even though they do not own it, and do not have the right to legally force another company to just hand it over without AT LEAST the permission of the ISP.

I know they wont go after individual people, but it's not that.
it's the ethics and point behind what they're doing.

besides, i think the internet agrees with me.
i mean, go check out youtube and search ''**** viacom'' without the *.
seriously.

·
Registered
245 Posts
And how exactly do you know that your IP (which refreshes regularly) hasn't been logged bazillion times over on gateways and proxies all over the world.
With the advent of geographical-location software (geoloc), I assume that stats of what regions/cities/suburbs of masses are doing what would already be about... ABS ring any bells? Besides, it is not -YOUR- IP. It is wholly the originating organisation that creates and maintains it on any or part of it's infrastructure (or it's parent company, or any other company that has contractual rights over the ownership.. ... ...blah...). You are merely paying for the service provided. the IP is a mechanism (one of a few) to allow that service to be provided to you. Hek.. you don't even own the software you use most of the time... read the EULA, you have payed for a license to use it, not own it... funny ay!!

Yes, to troll though what ever each individual is doing would cost more than would be able to claim back, so targeting the company(ies) who own the medium to produce copyright content, weather they know it or not, would be far more easier...

Then again, how can you definitavely claim that such events would never happen again? and how can you be certain that the content can be filtered so it doesn't happen again... problem ay... this is probably why it can't be pinned on any company!! or individual!!!

oh... just my 2c worth :D

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I remember when Metallica chucked a mikky when thier songs where D/L on napster and for myself i was black listed & banned from Napster.The band also said they were going to prosecute everyone who D/L thier music (Geez that worked a treat !!!)Napster got prosecuted and sort of shut down (Now you have to pay to D/L thier music) and now have a look how many peer to peer progs are out there to D/L music videos etc etc !!!!

If they prosecute Youtube for copyright material (good luck) this will push this stuff underground to be D/L else where !!!!!

VIVA technology !!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I know they wont go after individual people, but it's not that.
it's the ethics and point behind what they're doing.
Lol,

What about the ethics of what youtubes been doin for years allowing all that copyrighted material to be put up on youtube ?

If Youtube had NOT have allowed that this would never have happened.

Other things you think you own but actually don't

- Credit Cards- Remain the property of the bank etc
- Key Cards - Remain the property of the bank.
- ISP address- as previously stated.
- Your phone #.
- Your home phone ( if supplied by your phone company)
- Your school books your parents pay for.
- your school bus pass
- drivers licence, i think (i may be wrong)
- I'm sure there's others.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I forgot 1 thing, try to find prince videos on youtube if you can ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts