405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How cool is this

This week I have:
<UL>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Installed centre (gearbox to diff) CVD's</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Glued and mounted my Big Joe tyres to the Outback Weld Rims</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Installed Hitech 645MG steering servo and Monster Pirate servo saver</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Regreased the front and rear diffs</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Changed the shock oil from 10w to 40w Silicon (old stuff came out black!)</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Installed RC Raven triple rate springs</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Installed Robinson Racing Steel spur gear and new clutchbell 48/16T</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Installed my 1100mAh rechargable hump pack</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Installed new switch and Ernst charge jack</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Installed not bent yet Kyosho aerial tube</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Installed new one way bearing for rotostart</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Fixed header gasket seal</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Adjusted throttle servo saver so throttle opening is more agressive</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Cut out my Proline F350 shell ready for painting</DIV>
<LI>
<DIV align=left>Cleaned the engine. </DIV></LI>[/list]
I think that was about it...

Jerrah.Edited by: jerrah

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
nice.. looking goood.. u sure did a lot.. took ya all week???

u say u cleaned it??.. i hope it was after the photo... lol.. if u look closely.. there is a fair bit of dirt

Looking good.. Good work!

·
Registered
536 Posts
man i love savages can't wait to get mine and give it all the mods.

i will spend about 1400$$ all up

really nice job jerrah it looks in great nick

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Jerrah,

I have a correction for you. You actually installed a Robinson Racing Steel Spur - 48/16 Combo. Not 52/16.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tOiletduck said:
Looks great jerrah, what design you going for with the f350?

I haven't decided yet, I'm not going to worry about it until next weekend, I'm just trying to get it all finished tonight so I can drive it on Sunday. I originally picked out PS-15 Metalic Red and PS-41 Metalic Silver, but I might go with another colour combo yet. Also undecided to whether I'll go for a solid colour or have some kind of pattern.

I'm going to leave it for next weekend either way.

Jerrah.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey Jerrah,

Will be interesting to see how the 40 weight shock oil goes, lets some see you dosome huge crazy jumps and give them a decent workout

With the body, you should see if you can locate some masks and give them ago ......

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
40 weight shock oil was great at the track today - I don't believe I bottomed out once. I might even consider going to plastic skids again.
It may be a little too firm for loose terrain, but I didn't have any problems negotiating the track (beyond hitting the sides). Before I left for the day I had a run around the carpark to finish off my fuel, and I was amazed at how much faster the new gearing is when the Savage is wound out and also just how well it handles corners with the low profile 40 series rims/tyres. Even though the Big Joe is a off road type tyre it showed impressive traction and very little sidewall flex. I'm sure the Proline road range would be even more impressive on tar.
(Or skate bowl - maybe I'll need a 'special skate bowl' set.

I have no doubt that when you get back to Brisbane you'll have me down at the Toombul skate bowl quick smart. I better glue this body back together so it can survive one more bash session.

I'll have to investigate what masks I can get my hands on quickly. I think I might paint up my body this week once I've cut out my heatsink/fuel holes.

Jerrah.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
To make you own custom masks just ge some transparency plastic and cover it both sides with masking tape. Then you can draw the design that you like and cut it out. Now you have a cut mask for both sides of your truck, all you have to do is peel it off the transparency, stick it to the inside and paint!

Thats what I did for this body and it worked great...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't really come up any ideas of my own masks, I'm tempted just to
paint it red, I'm more of a fan of solid colours anyhow.

I like what Odum/Dan and yourself have done with your painting.

We'll see.

Jerrah.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm painting my new bash body tonight- its very simple, but I hope effective. Will post some pics for you if you like...

Its going to be for the most part just metallic purple... Ugg just realised it'll be purple overload!

If you want some ideas for paint jobs just look up some decals on the online hobby shops - here you can see pics of the precut sheets and get some cool ideas.Edited by: Morphy

·
Registered
660 Posts
hey Jerrah i am about to by the Robinson Racing Steel spur gear and new clutchbell 48/16 do u think it is better than thestock set up and how strong dose it look and have u tested it yet.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I've only ran about 1 litre through my engine since installing the
RR spur set, and it looks ok. Slight marking on the face of the teeth,
but no substantial wear. I went through several plastic spurs in
sucession prior to fitting the RR spur. Seems good.

A word of warning - I noticed someone at the track yesterday was using
a RR spur with a stock clutchbell - he stripped two clutch bells in as
many races! Only use the hardened RR clutchbells with the RR spurs.

Also, if you like doing wheelies - I'd suggest getting the S21 version.

Jerrah.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
How do you strip the spur gear? I've been through about 2Ltrs of fuel and not even a sign of wear??? Yet almost everyone I talk to has killed their spur...

Is it in the allignment of the motor cos I made sure I got it square and that the spur and clutchbell make zero exra friction (when i spin mine backwards, it spins freely for 20 or 30 seconds....).

·
Registered
660 Posts
well mine happens when i tighten the motor and it is all good like the mesh after some hard flips my bolts have loosen and the engine moves stripping up my spur.

Well 2 weeks ago when i saw u i went through 4 that day.

Well I have stripped 10 spursin 1 1/2 months and at 13.00 dollars each. wow 130 dollars on just spur gears
Edited by: Savage SS

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
LOCTITE!

What I do is put it in with the front two screws FINGER TIGHT then make sure the engine is parrellel to the TVP's and rotate the spur gear untill it has moved the motor enough to run freely. Then I put in the rear bolts and tighten everything up. Lastly I check to make sure the spur still runs freely.

So far noo problems - will take a pic for you tonight...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I stripped one spur when I lost a screw that holds the engine plate (big crash - screw came out and engine moved). My other two spurs melted from the inside. I found this was because my slipper clutch locknut was backing off after a few hard starts and evetually the clutch was slipping so much the bushing it sits on got hot and started melting the spur from the inside out - eventually causing it to slop, but with the bushing slowly eating it's way through the spur.

I agree, mesh is important andI use loctite on all metal - metal screws.

Mind you, my first spur was done at 8 litres, and now on the 12 litres I've gone for a steel spur with a new spring/locknut assembly, and it hasn't moved an inch. I daresay a plastic spur would be fine for me now - but I'd be replacing the locknut fairly regularly.

Jerrah.

·
Registered
660 Posts
thanks jerrah and morphy i always locktite but the last time i drove me car was 2 weekends ago and the front bearing was leaking and i think the fuel was eating the locktite and making the engine loose.

I set the spur gear and clutch bell my using a piece of paper in between the gears how do u do it jerrah

regards

1 - 20 of 23 Posts